ADVERTISEMENT

Listen to Pirates Broadcasts With Gary & Dave on the SHU Pirates Mobile App

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Web_SetonHallRadio_Artboard_1_i7SuY.jpg

South Orange, N.J. — Game-winners, NCAA Tournaments and championships; the incomparable radio duo of Gary Cohen and Dave Popkin, who enter their 20th season calling Seton Hall men's basketball games, have seen it all.

As The Hall ushers in a new era under head coach Shaheen Holloway '00, Pirates fans will be able to hear Gary and Dave's exclusive coverage and analysis of Seton Hall men's basketball all season long digitally on SHUPirates.com, the free SHU Pirates Mobile App and the Varsity Network App, with select games also airing on SiriusXM.

The SHU Pirates Mobile App is your one-stop shop for news, schedules, tickets and all things related to Seton Hall Athletics. You can customize your feed for any of Seton Hall's 14 varsity sports that you follow, and for men's basketball fans, you can easily access your tickets to the games using the app's Ticketmaster integration.

Fans can download the SHU Pirates Mobile App for Android and iOS devices and can always visit their device's app store and search for "SHU Pirates."

Cohen, well-known in the area as the play-by-play voice of the New York Mets on SNY, is one of the most respected and accomplished play-by-play announcers in the nation. Cohen recently completed his 34th year broadcasting Mets baseball, 17 seasons on television and 17 on the radio. In addition, the Queens native and Columbia University graduate was the radio voice of St. John's basketball from 1995-2002. On a national level, Cohen has also called baseball broadcasts for CBS and ESPN Radio & has handled play-by-play duties for CBS Radio & Westwood One for the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

The veteran sportscaster Popkin handles color commentary and backup play-by-play for the Pirates. He is also a frequent presence on CBS Sports Network serving as the play-by-play voice of NEC Basketball. Popkin also currently calls baseball & women's basketball for the BIG EAST Digital Network. He handled play-by-play for The Basketball Tournament on ESPN3 & is the play-by-play voice of the PrimeTime Basketball League. The University of Miami graduate has 17 years of minor league baseball play-by-play experience, including for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs and currently the Buffalo Bisons. He called college football & basketball for ESPN3 for eight years.

Behind the scenes ensuring that each Seton Hall broadcast airs without a hitch is veteran engineer Mike Infantino. In his 34th season of Pirates basketball, Infantino has worked on broadcasts for a wide range of collegiate and professional teams in his career.

Reactions: chickenbox
No terrestrial radio, interesting. I get the world is moving away from that but still feel it's a mistake as it limits your audience to only those who are aware of your program and care enough to use a mobile application to access the feed. Feels like the beginning of the end of this duo as the cost to employ them can't possibly be recouped by broadcasting via this method.

Doesn‘t St John’s do the same thing? So do the Devils.

I started to listen on my phone last year since the reception on 970 was so bad.

This is also probably cheaper to do, since they were paying for air time. It’s not like they were loaded with a ton of sponsors.

Doesn‘t St John’s do the same thing? So do the Devils.

I started to listen on my phone last year since the reception on 970 was so bad.

This is also probably cheaper to do, since they were paying for air time. It’s not like they were loaded with a ton of sponsors.
Great idea. Existing radio deal loses money.

No terrestrial radio, interesting. I get the world is moving away from that but still feel it's a mistake as it limits your audience to only those who are aware of your program and care enough to use a mobile application to access the feed. Feels like the beginning of the end of this duo as the cost to employ them can't possibly be recouped by broadcasting via this method.
This presumes some station wanted to air the games in the first place. Not a given in our current climate. While TV rights are going through the roof, radio ownership groups are much more reluctant to spend big money on sports rights. It's easier for them to keep their regular formats on the air with the staff they are already paying.

Or since SH Sports Properties was paying for the air time perhaps the price being asked wasn't worth it to them.

As for the broadcast team, I may be wrong but I believe that Popkin has a stake in SH Sports Properties. As for Cohen, at this stage of his career this may be more something to keep busy with during the winter months than a financial windfall.

Reactions: SHUSource
It’s a pretty good gig for those guys. Travel is very manageable, home schedule is manageable and one getaway trip to a nice destination just about every November.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
This presumes some station wanted to air the games in the first place. Not a given in our current climate. While TV rights are going through the roof, radio ownership groups are much more reluctant to spend big money on sports rights. It's easier for them to keep their regular formats on the air with the staff they are already paying.

Or since SH Sports Properties was paying for the air time perhaps the price being asked wasn't worth it to them.

As for the broadcast team, I may be wrong but I believe that Popkin has a stake in SH Sports Properties. As for Cohen, at this stage of his career this may be more something to keep busy with during the winter months than a financial windfall.
The school pays the radio station not the other way

I noted that in my answer. That is not an unusual arrangement.

Part of my comment is about how it's not as easy to get games on the radio.

For instance the Devils have a rights deal with Audacy (WFAN) that sees few radio broadcasts. Most of their games are only available through streaming.

I think Gary does it cause he loves doing it. How the TV stations broadcasting the NCAAs dont snap him up for games astounds me.

Was there anyone between Werner and Gary?

I think Gary does it cause he loves doing it. How the TV stations broadcasting the NCAAs dont snap him up for games astounds me.

Was there anyone between Werner and Gary?
At a certain point late in the season the Mets do take precedence … although I do think in the past he has done some NCAA Tournament games on the radio for Westwood One

Reactions: TheHall87
For those that want an over the air feed, there’s always WSOU 89.5fm ;)
All due respect to Gary and Dave, and they’re tops in the business, it’s always annoyed me a bit that the school barely even acknowledges WSOU’s broadcasts of Men’s basketball. I understand they want to plug the partner they’re paying for, but I think there’s room for both.
WSOU is available on iHeart as well for those that live out of the antenna range and can handle using apps.
/end shameless plug

That’s surprising. That’s not the norm. It’s usually the radio station Pays for the content and makes their money on advertising. In can’t believe there isn’ta radio station that would pay for broadcast rights.

That’s surprising. That’s not the norm. It’s usually the radio station Pays for the content and makes their money on advertising. In can’t believe there isn’ta radio station that would pay for broadcast rights.
It’s been that way for years

Reactions: TheHall87
It’s been that way for years
Save the money. In prefer streaming anyway. Maybe turn it into a profit and sell their own advertising on the app. Do commercials with players and use profit as NIL funding. We should be getting everyone possible to download the app. Advertising is based on downloads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT