ADVERTISEMENT

Manfred the worst

I really don't have an issue with the double header as much as I have an issue with the playoffs starting Tuesday and then on top of that I think round 1 byes are momentum killers for the good teams. 3 of the 4 WS participants did not receive byes in this new format. You play 162 games in 180 days then you get 5 days off to take you out of rhythm, thanks Rob.

I really don't have an issue with the double header as much as I have an issue with the playoffs starting Tuesday and then on top of that I think round 1 byes are momentum killers for the good teams. 3 of the 4 WS participants did not receive byes in this new format. You play 162 games in 180 days then you get 5 days off to take you out of rhythm, thanks Rob.
The playoffs starting Tuesday was scheduled months ago. Whether anyone likes the playoff system or not, it was set and known well in advance. The problem here is that the impact of this storm on the series was also known with plenty of time to find a practical solution, but the Braves chose not to.

The playoffs starting Tuesday was scheduled months ago. Whether anyone likes the playoff system or not, it was set and known well in advance. The problem here is that the impact of this storm on the series was also known with plenty of time to find a practical solution, but the Braves chose not to.
The NY Post stated "the league was dealing with what it felt were better potential forecasts to play at least Wednesday through Monday and by the time the forecasts worsened, there was not enough time to order a substantial change to the schedule." So I'm not sure they had what you call plenty of time to find a practical solution.

The NY Post stated "the league was dealing with what it felt were better potential forecasts to play at least Wednesday through Monday and by the time the forecasts worsened, there was not enough time to order a substantial change to the schedule." So I'm not sure they had what you call plenty of time to find a practical solution.
By late Monday it was clear the weather was going to be a lot of rain in Atlanta from Wednesday night on, even if games could be played on Wed & Thursday. MLB should have either had teams play DH on Tuesday or at least moved up Wednesday game to a noon or even 11am start. On Monday afternoon, MLB moved up the Tigers-Rays game on Tuesday from night to day game, so can be done pretty quickly. It seems Braves were against any changes, but this is where MLB needs to step up and get at least one of these games played.

Reactions: Hallhoops
By late Monday it was clear the weather was going to be a lot of rain in Atlanta from Wednesday night on, even if games could be played on Wed & Thursday. MLB should have either had teams play DH on Tuesday or at least moved up Wednesday game to a noon or even 11am start. On Monday afternoon, MLB moved up the Tigers-Rays game on Tuesday from night to day game, so can be done pretty quickly. It seems Braves were against any changes, but this is where MLB needs to step up and get at least one of these games played.
I'm sure a lot of teams in the Braves situation at home would be fighting for every edge they could get. The funny thing is Chris Sale was going Wednesday, he then could go Monday. That's a braves advantage they turned down essentially disallowing their Cy Young Award lock pitching 2 times in a most important 3 game series if they moved Wednesday's game up to 1pm and played 1 on Monday.

Last edited:
Well the Mets certainly knew in time to request moving the games up, which the Braves declined. Maybe they just don't have anyone who knows how to read a weather forecast.

Well the Mets certainly knew in time to request moving the games up, which the Braves declined. Maybe they just don't have anyone who knows how to read a weather forecast.
Honestly I don't see why the Braves wouldn't want Sale going twice in a 3 game series with the mets. Makes little sense to me

Honestly I don't see why the Braves wouldn't want Sale going twice in a 3 game series with the mets. Makes little sense to me
Well they said it's because of gate revenue but they're losing that anyway so who knows. Maybe they just preferred the advantage of forcing the Mets into a travel nightmare while they sit at home the whole time.

And they probably make back a bunch of that lost gate revenue by keeping the weekend KC games relevant instead of risking the Mets clinching during the week.

Braves, Yankees and Dodgers are the mlb golden child’s, I’d never expect the league to step in.

In my view, there were no good solutions here. Whatever MLB and the teams came up with would have been an issue for one side or the other. Matters were further complicated by ESPN taking the Mets-Phillies game for Sunday night -- a decision made within the last few weeks as per ESPN's ability to flex games.

Had that last part not happened, MLB could have had the teams play Monday-Wednesday with the third game in the afternoon. Or a worst case scenario being Monday with a Tuesday doubleheader. They also could have relocated the series or part of it to Arlington since the Rangers weren't home this week (I presume the stadium was available). I'm sure they could have found another location if need be.

Now the Mets are faced with potentially having to travel from Milwaukee to Atlanta on Sunday night, play an afternoon doubleheader on Monday, then travel Monday night to Milwaukee, San Diego or Los Angeles to play on Tuesday.

Evan Roberts on WFAN also noted that if MLB doesn't push the NL wild card series back a day, both NY and Atlanta will likely not have a regular starting pitcher available on normal rest to start a Tuesday game one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT