ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Dolphins trade No. 3 overall pick in 2021 NFL draft to San Francisco 49ers

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Lorenzo Reyes, USA TODAY

The top of the NFL draft board reportedly underwent a major shakeup Friday.

According to ESPN, the Miami Dolphins traded the No. 3 overall selection in the 2021 NFL draft to the San Francisco 49ers for the No. 12 pick, a 2021 third-round pick and first-round selections in 2022 and 2023.

It's a massive haul for the Dolphins, who continue to amass draft capital. Meanwhile, for the 49ers, the move almost certainly indicates that the team is considering a quarterback at that pick, given the draft capital San Francisco parted with to move up.

That means that current 49ers starter Jimmy Garoppolo's future with the team could be in doubt.

There are several high-profile quarterbacks who will be available in the draft. Clemson's Trevor Lawrence is widely seen as the projected No. 1 pick to the Jaguars, but BYU's Zach Wilson, North Dakota State's Trey Lance and Ohio State's Justin Fields could all be the next players taken.

ESPN also reported that the 49ers feel comfortable with any of the passers that would be available at No. 3 and that San Francisco has no plans to trade Garoppolo.

The teams currently holding pick Nos. 2-4, the Jets, the 49ers and the Falcons, have all been linked to potential passers in mock draft projections.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Report: Dolphins trade No. 3 pick in 2021 NFL draft to 49ers

I’m not a Jets fan but a Giants fan and as I was flipping channels they were showing the BYU Pro Day and Wilson workout. He is more then impressive , the commentators were singing his praises and if the Jets don’t draft him at number 2 , they’ll live to regret it.

Reactions: Section112
Wilson certainly has the buzz, but if the Jets go QB again are still going to struggle with a mediocre offense line and limited weapons. Not to mention they need edge rushers and cornerbacks. Tough decision for Joe Douglas

Reactions: LBP43
Wilson certainly has the buzz, but if the Jets go QB again are still going to struggle with a mediocre offense line and limited weapons. Not to mention they need edge rushers and cornerbacks. Tough decision for Joe Douglas
If the Jets draft Wilson and trade Darnold that could give them additional draft capital to address the O-Line with multiple O-Line picks.

As a Jets fan, I want no part of Wilson. The guy reminds me too much of Johnny Manziel or Josh Rosen, cocky rich kid with an attitude problem and looked better than he was because he played against weak competition. I understand the financial implications of hitting reset on the salary clock at the QB position for another few years as opposed to making a big decision on Darnold, but talent wise none of the rookies aside from Lawrence appeal to me at all. I say let it fly with Darnold for another year but if a team is desperate enough to cough up a 1st or early 2nd for Darnold, I would take it. They have so many holes to fill, but free agency moves look promising so far.
They also need another veteran backup to bring in regardless since they let Flacco sign with Philly.

Reactions: LBP43 and SHUSA
Looks pretty clear that Jimmy G. Is going back to NE. No way Belichick goes into the season with Cam Newton under center. Good news for us Pats fans.

As a Jets fan, I want no part of Wilson. The guy reminds me too much of Johnny Manziel or Josh Rosen, cocky rich kid with an attitude problem and looked better than he was because he played against weak competition. I understand the financial implications of hitting reset on the salary clock at the QB position for another few years as opposed to making a big decision on Darnold, but talent wise none of the rookies aside from Lawrence appeal to me at all. I say let it fly with Darnold for another year but if a team is desperate enough to cough up a 1st or early 2nd for Darnold, I would take it. They have so many holes to fill, but free agency moves look promising so far.
They also need another veteran backup to bring in regardless since they let Flacco sign with Philly.

Did you see the throw he made today? I know there is no defense....but fading to his LEFT, backpedaling almost and he throws a dime about 50 yards to the receiver.

He does look pretty impressive.

As a Jets fan we haven't seen the best of Darnold...but sometimes that means the player needs a change of scenery.

Frankly I wouldn't mind a kid with a little attitude....Joe Willie time!

Excellent job by my Dolphins! We can still get an elite WR this year while securing an additional first rounder (again) in the future.
The Laremy Tunsil trade. The gift that does not stop giving. We turned that trade into essentially 4 first round picks (although we gave one of the 1st rounders to Philly).

Reactions: hall58
Its fair to wonder if Wilson is worth taking at 2. He didn't play strong competition and came out of nowhere prior to this season.

But he doesn't have an attitude problem and is nothing like Manziel who partied and abused alcohol and drugs and was not a hard worker. There was one tweet from someone about an unnamed source who smeared Wilson. Typical social-media troll job. Every actual reporter who has tried to dig into the kid's past and character only says good things.

The same types of things were said about Baker Mayfield. It's just lazy type-casting.

Excellent job by my Dolphins! We can still get an elite WR this year while securing an additional first rounder (again) in the future.
Great move by Miami. You'll still get the elite playmaker and pocket an additional 1st and 3rd. You now have plenty of ammunition if you want to trade for Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson when they become available.

Fins doing it the right way with good front office and a great young coach players want to play for.

Year 2 of the rebuild they went 10-6, yes a soft schedule but still 10-6.

watch out for this team in the next few years with ALL those picks coming up!

Fins are improving but my Bills are still the class of the AFC east

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT