ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan's Juwan Howard declines interest from Lakers

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Howard has connections to LeBron James and Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka​

By Chip Patterson

juwan-howard-getty.jpg

Michigan coach Juwan Howard has declined interest from the Los Angeles Lakers to be considered as part of their ongoing search for a new coach, according to ESPN. Howard will instead remain with the Wolverines as scheduled for the upcoming 2022-23 college basketball season.

Though Howard did not express interest in the Lakers job, ESPN reports that "his candidacy would've moved quickly" to a formal offer from one of the NBA's most iconic franchises had he been open to coaching in the league next season.

Howard plans to remain in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where he will coach his sons next season. Jace will be a junior at Michigan, while younger son Jett will be a freshman.

There are several strong connections to the current Lakers franchise for Howard, which likely made him an intriguing candidate both for the front office and key members of the roster. Former college teammate Rob Pelinka is the Lakers general manger, and LeBron James was a teammate of Howard's while he was a player and later an assistant coach with the Miami Heat.

Prior to taking the Michigan job in 2019, Howard interviewed to become the Lakers coach after six seasons on the Heat bench.

But even with all that familiarity, Howard has reportedly put an end to the possibility of moving onto the Lakers before it ever materialized into serious discussions.

Howard has a 61-32 record in three seasons as a coach, guiding Michigan to the Sweet 16 in each of the last two years and getting to the Elite Eight in 2021 after winning the Big Ten championship. But while this past season ended in the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament, it did present some unique challenges for Howard.

Preseason top 10 expectations were lost early in the campaign, and life on the NCAA Tournament bubble got even trickier when Howard was suspended five games for striking a Wisconsin assistant coach. Howard returned for the postseason, and Michigan -- as a No. 11 seed -- was able to knock off No. 6 seed Colorado State and No. 3 seed Tennessee on its way to the Sweet 16 where the Wolverines fell to eventual South Region champion Villanova.

Howard started having his name linked to NBA job openings after the 2020 season, his first as a coach, and has remained a coach of interest in each of the two offseasons since with the Boston Celtics inquiring as to his availability last year.

Any time Howard is asked about the NBA, he has been adamant that he has no interest in professional basketball right now, reiterating his commitment to his current role at Michigan. As long as he's still in college and Michigan is regularly making the NCAA Tournament, these NBA overtures will likely continue.

We're seeing it with Sha, and I think it's the case with Howard now, but sometimes you can't put a price on leaving/going somewhere that treats you near the level of a deity. Juwan is a legend in the realm of Michigan and I would like to think he really cares about doing a good job. If he was to leave, I don't think his heart will let him leave at the moment unless he does absolutely that poor of a job that he sees the pitchforks or he gives Michigan that extra push [intended reference] back to the promised land of the Final 4

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
Correct move by Howard. He's got too good of a thing going, and smart coaches know better.

The lakers are a disgrace and a total dumpster fire of a franchise right now, despite the recent championship. They will attract some sucker looking to make a name for himself, and then quickly burn through him too. The next coach has to know they're going to get chewed up and spit out just as quickly. There's nothing sustainable with that franchise right now. Way too toxic of a situation for any self respecting coach to touch. I was thinking the extremely overrated and nauseatingly worshipped "doc" rivers might have a go at it, but apparently not.

Besides, it's a good move for Howard to show some damn loyalty after Michigan gave him the weakest slap on the wrist one could imagine after the handshake line debacle. He certainly made the most of it by getting them to the second week of the NCAA's. Might as well keep the good run going.

I assume Howard may have 2 strikes on him though with his inability to control his emotions on the sideline. Can’t keep pulling the crap he has done so far.

Interesting in the crazy changing environment with NIL and free agency that a coach maybe gets an offer for significant NBA money and not having to deal with all that and he stays. I don't think the MICH AD has two strikes against Juwan at all frankly. He can do whatever he wants there. Juwan doesn't need the money though so he can do what he wants.

I'd love to see AG get the Laker job even though it is very high risk. I think he is a backup option for now and would not get the Lakers fans all that excited.

Too bad he didn't leave, college basketball would be better for it. He is a stain on a sport that's dirty enough to begin with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT