ADVERTISEMENT

More blunders on the basepaths

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Torres is as usual taking heat and obviously so. But what is Soto doing going to second down 1 with two out and Judge on deck?

Do that and you take the bat out of Judge's hands.

• Wow
Reactions: silkcitypirate
They would have walked Judge regardless but no reason for Soto to take that risk. Dumb base running by both guys but it's hard to criticize the extra effort.

Reactions: dehere23
Torres is as usual taking heat and obviously so. But what is Soto doing going to second down 1 with two out and Judge on deck?

Do that and you take the bat out of Judge's hands.
Do you think Hyde was pitching to Judge in that spot anyway? 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 3rd Judge isn't seeing a strike. Gleyber killed a rally, momentum and everything looking to go the yankees way. But in no way do I think Hyde was pitching to Judge in that spot. It was Cano vs Wells bases loaded or if they had a lefty ready to go bring in the lefty vs Wells as Judge would've been Cano's 3rd batter.

They would have walked Judge regardless but no reason for Soto to take that risk. Dumb base running by both guys but it's hard to criticize the extra effort.
That's a probable, but in doing so you put the winning run on second. So it's not a given.

I had the same thought as Dan watching it live. And then remembered that nowadays there is no hesitation walking a guy like Judge even with first base occupied (others have gotten this treatment in the past too, I recall, but seems more widespread now across baseball).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT