ADVERTISEMENT

More Trove tidbits

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

From JP's interview with Val Ackerman (part 2)

This interview took place before the Big 12 split

With the addition of the Huskies increasing the double round-robin conference schedule to 20 games, are conference challenges such as the Gavitt Games (with the Big Ten) and the Big East-Big 12 Battle still viable? (Again, it’s up in the air now what will happen to the Big 12 without the Longhorns and Sooners, and Ackerman spoke before that development.)

Ackerman said, “For now, they are. We still have a few years left to run on both of them. The Gavitt Games has been around a little longer. We love (the Gavitt Games). Geographically, it’s a really good fit because of the way we line up in terms of the location of our schools with the Big Ten. And of course, the competition has been terrific. We love both of them.

“I think for all conferences, we’re examining long-term how many games our schools can afford,” she added.

“We've got 20 conference games, we’ve got those two challenges, and then schools have their own non-conference games they want to pursue. They want to play in MTEs and local rivalry games. I'm sure what we do long-term is going to be a matter of continuing assessment by our schools.”

In June, both the Big East and Southeastern Conference eliminated their rules against intraconference transfers. The Big Ten, ACC and Pac-12 already had done so, among others.

“We looked hard at it,” Ackerman said. “That’s a rule that’s been in place for a long time in the conference. There are still good reasons to have a policy like that, but given where the NCAA was going nationally, we all kind of collectively decided it made sense to reassess it, and so that’s what we did.

“I think it’s helpful to student-athletes to have more choices and more flexibility,” she added.......................

Reactions: TheHall87
ADVERTISEMENT