ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Off Topic: CP3 for Jordan Poole??????!!?!

Hall-O-Daze

All Big East
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2020
Up in the clouds
I’m shaking so hard right now I can’t stop laughing. I can barely type straight. The Joker doesn’t laugh this hard. This is bound to become one of those “I haven’t laughed this hard since the GSW traded Jordan Poole for Chris Paul“ moments. The dynasty is officially over. People irate all over the Bay Area.

Chris Paul traded to Warriors from Wizards for Jordan Poole hours before 2023 NBA Draft​

By Jeremy Layton

The first major trade domino of 2023 NBA Draft day has fallen.

The Wizards and Warriors have agreed on a trade that would send Chris Paul to Golden State in exchange for Jordan Poole and future draft assets back to Washington, according to multiple reports on Thursday.

The deal has been “agreed on” though not necessarily finalized, according to Wojnarowski.

Per The Athletic’s Shams Charania, the draft compensation will be a protected first-rounder in 2030 and a second-rounder in 2027.

Washington will also get 2022 second-rounder Ryan Rollins in the deal.

Paul has already been a part of another blockbuster NBA trade days ago, when the Phoenix Suns sent him to Washington as part of a package for star guard Bradley Beal.

Now, the 12-time All-Star is headed to the team that has won four championships since 2015.

In exchange, the Wizards get Poole, who averaged 30 minutes and 20.4 points per game for Golden State in 2022-23.

Paul, despite playing the same position as Steph Curry, figures to take over Poole’s minutes as a third guard alongside Curry and Klay Thompson.

I dunno. If they did the right thing with the leftover Poole money, that would be one thing. My feeling, for whatever that’s worth, is that they are going to use a lot of that money they just saved to give Green a max contract. Green opted out of his contract and is in talks with the Warriors. He wants to get paid and signed for several years. Using that money to give Green a max contract would be a huge mistake.

Plus, on the face of it, the Warriors just got smaller and older. That’s not gonna help them continue the dynasty. They gave away picks too. CP3 curses teams. Look at his track record. He will never win a title. This was a terrible move.

Reactions: lokiSHU
I dunno. If they did the right thing with the leftover Poole money, that would be one thing. My feeling, for whatever that’s worth, is that they are going to use a lot of that money they just saved to give Green a max contract. Green opted out of his contract and is in talks with the Warriors. He wants to get paid and signed for several years. Using that money to give Green a max contract would be a huge mistake.

Plus, on the face of it, the Warriors just got smaller and older. That’s not gonna help them continue the dynasty. They gave away picks too. CP3 curses teams. Look at his track record. He will never win a title. This was a terrible move.
CP has started every game in his nba career...will he do so with gsw?

No way was this was about the money… Golden Statee had the choice of offloading Draymond to keep Poole.

Poole obviously has a bright future ahead, but it seems management is loyal to keeping Draymond. The beef between the 2 was detrimental to the squad

No way was this was about the money… Golden Statee had the choice of offloading Draymond to keep Poole.

Poole obviously has a bright future ahead, but it seems management is loyal to keeping Draymond. The beef between the 2 was detrimental to the squad
Well poole has future money allocated right now draymond doesnt...would have been difficult with the future apron to have both

Poole was so important to them 2 years ago and fits their style perfectly. He wasn't the same player this year -- was it because of the Green incident, just a down year, or something else?

What will be fascinating is how they use Paul. Stylistically, he isn't a fit at face value to how they play. Paul likes to play slow, methodical, heavy PNR. Warriors like to play fast, frenetic, crazy movement. On the flip side, one of the best PGs of all time who can still play, even at a high level at times, is now joining two of the best shooters ever, who are older and have battled injuries. Will Paul come off the bench and be super-6th man working with the second unit heavily at times. Or will he start surrounded by those 2 with Wiggins as a small ball 4.

Paul and Curry's age and medical history allows them potentially to be set for 48 min of basketball where they can spell the other. Also, FWIW, Paul is a jerk similar to Draymond. If there's someone Draymond can't get to, Chris will get in their face about it.

Nobody involved in this deal will make them favorites over Denver but it's not bad

Reactions: HALL85
There's an interesting piece on The Athletic by their GSW beat reporter. The takeaways:

They think this deal helps make a title more likely in 2023-24.

As noted above, there is a money component. Paul is owed roughly $30 million next year with another non-guaranteed $30 million in 2024-25. Poole has a four-year $123 extension kicking in this coming season. The new NBA CBA, will punish teams, like the Warriors, who exceed the luxury tax and do so repeatedly.

GSW clearly decided to ride or die with Draymond Green over Poole. Again, a short-term move. It's also likely Steph Curry had a lot of influence on how this went down with new GM Mike Dunleavy, Jr. in place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT