ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Soccer Tournament

So translating to the basketball tournament, that leaves us as effectively the 2 seed in our quadrant with (#3 overall) Indiana as the 1. If we beat Air Force, we'll get the Oregon State/Virginia Tech winner in the "sweet 16."

Very interesting that the game against Air Force is May 2nd (which is 2 weeks from yesterday). It seems like long time, but we certainly came out of our COVID pause well.

Reactions: BabyBlue
I wonder if Georgetown losing players to pros is why they were underseeded. Also, where are the games being played?

The BE got two at-large bids in GT and Marquette in a reduced field in the number of teams in the Tournament and with a total of three teams in its hard to see Conference bias plus Seton Hall has a overall six seed.

It also may have been a lack of respect for us. I think Georgetown is 1 or 2 if they beat us. We'd be unseeded but probably still in judging by Marquette.

are airforce, vt, or oregon state any good?

if memory serves me right oregon state has been pretty good in the past.

wake forest gets a home game, glad were on that side of the bracket

are airforce, vt, or oregon state any good?

if memory serves me right oregon state has been pretty good in the past.

wake forest gets a home game, glad were on that side of the bracket
We'll be favored against Air Force. I'm not so sure against the other 2 as the ACC and PAC12 are traditionally very strong conferences (ACC has teams seeded 1, 2 and 5). VT didn't play 5 seed wake and went 0-2 against both Clemson and Pitt. Oregon State split a pair against both 4 seed Stanford and 7 seed Washington, so with wins over very good teams they'll be a tough out.

2020BIGEASTChampsMSOC.jpg

BIG EAST Champion Pirates Headed to First NCAA Tournament Since 2005​

South Orange, N.J. - For the first time since 2005, the Seton Hall men's soccer team is headed to the NCAA Tournament.

After their BIG EAST Championship victory on Saturday, the Pirates will represent the conference as the automatic qualifier for the 2020 NCAA Men's Soccer Championship. The Pirates are slotted in as the No. 6 overall seed and will take on Western Athletic Conference champion, Air Force on May 2. The match is set to take place at Sportsplex in Matthews, N.C., with kickoff set for approximately 8 p.m.

This will be The Hall's 12th NCAA appearance in school history. With a consolidated field of 36 teams, Seton Hall will see its first action in the second round of the tournament, the sixth time in program history the Pirates have reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament and the first since 2005. The Pirates are 5-11-1 all-time in the NCAA Tournament reaching as far as the quarter finals in 1988.

Led by third-year Head Coach Andreas Lidberg and the rest of the 2020 BIG EAST Coaching Staff of the Year, the Pirates exceeded expectations this season after being picked to finish second to last in the East Division of the BIG EAST coaches preseason poll.

In a historic season, the Pirates won their first BIG EAST Tournament championship since 1991 after defeating No. 2 ranked Georgetown, 2-1, in title game at Shaw Field. The Pirates also completed the Spring 2021 regular season unbeaten at home winning six of seven games at Owen T. Carroll Field. It's the first unbeaten regular season at home since The Hall went 7-0-1 at home in 2003.

In addition to honoring the coaching staff, five Pirates were named to All-BIG EAST Teams. Highlighting the selections for the Pirates are two All-BIG EAST First Team members in CJ Tibbling (Jarna, Sweden) and Luca Dahn (Kahl, Germany). After a solid season between the posts for The Hall, goalkeeper Andreas Nota (Rome, Italy) was awarded a spot on the All-BIG EAST Second Team. Rounding out the Pirates' all-conference selections with Third Team honors are JP Marin (Briarwood, N.Y.) and Johannes Pex (Stephansposching, Germany).

Following the conference tournament, Tibbling, Nota, Maurice Williams (West Orange, N.J.) and Mattias Almeida Sundell (Sweden) were named to the 2020 BIG EAST Men's Soccer Championship All-Tournament Team. Williams, who scored twice in The Hall's 4-1 victory over then-No. 17 Marquette in the semifinals was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Defensive Player while Almeida Sundell was named the Most Outstanding Offensive Player after scoring once and picking up four assists in the two wins.

Reactions: Hallsome
I'm not a soccer fan generally speaking, but I live about 5 minutes from the Sportsplex in Matthews, NC so I will definitely go to the game against Air Force in my SHU gear!
Are fans even allowed? I would love to take a road trip if they get to the sweet 16 or elite 8

Reactions: SOBO1
Very interesting that the game against Air Force is May 2nd (which is 2 weeks from yesterday). It seems like long time, but we certainly came out of our COVID pause well.

Bubble format since the entire tournament will be held in North Carolina? That would mean the NCAA needs time to get teams tested and into the bubble.

Also there is an opening round of four games to determine opponents for the top four overall seeds. Those games are played on April 29.

Full bracket with sites for each game below.

It also may have been a lack of respect for us. I think Georgetown is 1 or 2 if they beat us. We'd be unseeded but probably still in judging by Marquette.

When I saw Georgetown go up first as the No 8, who else thought SHU would be below them as one of the unseeded auto bids?

When I saw Georgetown go up first as the No 8, who else thought SHU would be below them as one of the unseeded auto bids?

I thought about that but wasn't sure which way they'd go since we did end up with a very similar resume. Now, my knowledge is limited here but despite the higher seed, I'm not sure we got the better draw, at least through our first 2 possible games.

With so many international players on the roster I wonder how many of their families would be able to travel to see their sons play in the tournament . With family members permitted to attend it would be special to have as many of the players family both domestic and international attend as possible.

Well - we got screwed in hoops in 2020. Let's make up for it by making deep run in 2020 NCAA soccer tournament.

Looking at Air Force's schedule and their season has been...interesting. They opened with a win over Dixie State (who was making their D1 debut), drew at UNLV and then lost 4 straight. At that point, something clicked because they've now rattled off 6 straight wins including thrashing previously unbeaten (and at large selection) Grand Canyon 3-0 in the WAC final to win the auto bid from the 6 seed. I'm confident we have the better team, but they're hot and hot can be dangerous.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Looking at Air Force's schedule and their season has been...interesting. They opened with a win over Dixie State (who was making their D1 debut), drew at UNLV and then lost 4 straight. At that point, something clicked because they've now rattled off 6 straight wins including thrashing previously unbeaten (and at large selection) Grand Canyon 3-0 in the WAC final to win the auto bid from the 6 seed. I'm confident we have the better team, but they're hot and hot can be dangerous.
Hopefully they cool off in the next two weeks!

I find it interesting that the Mountain West doesn't sponsor Men's Soccer (they do Women's Soccer). Only AFA, UNLV and San Jose State play the sport. Also, Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist are Southland Conference teams playing WAC soccer.

I believe they do, but this year was different. Living in Vegas, I know UNR has a team as do other Mountain West teams . Cough it up to COVID. Air Force has been to the NCAA's 3 of the last 4 years, a solid team and no international players . Could be a clash of styles

Reactions: TheHall87
I find it interesting that the Mountain West doesn't sponsor Men's Soccer (they do Women's Soccer). Only AFA, UNLV and San Jose State play the sport. Also, Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist are Southland Conference teams playing WAC soccer.

I believe they do, but this year was different. Living in Vegas, I know UNR has a team as do other Mountain West teams . Cough it up to COVID. Air Force has been to the NCAA's 3 of the last 4 years, a solid team and no international players . Could be a clash of styles

That would make sense. It surprised me that one of the stronger overall leagues wouldn't support the sport.

At least in the past there has been no Big 12 or SEC men’s soccer
Correct the following conferences do not sponsor mens soccer

Big 12
Sec
Mountain west

In many olympic sports there are schools that sponsor a sport that may have to be an affiliate member of another league for that sport

I’ve said this before and seeing him dive , or should we say, jump off the high board to fulfill his promise is another indication of the rapport he has with his players. At least he didn’t have to do a bungee jump off a bridge but I hear it’s on the table if they win it all ( only kidding of course ) .

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT