ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

radecicco

All World
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2013
The New York Times had a well documented article on NIL payouts based on Opendorse data. Basically hoops teams in the P4 conferences require roughly $3.3 million to field a competing starting five. I would assume the BE is in the same ballpark as the P4. Broken down as follows.

Centers $510,000
Guards 640,000
Forwards. 750,000

But interestingly, college forwards are the most valued position. And the $$3.3 million budget for starters does not include additional $$$ for the bench. So, bottom line, SHU needs an annual NIL budget of around $3.5 million to put a competitive team on the court in the BE, at least on paper. If you have a subscription to the NYT, check out the article. It has a lot of info on college football too.

We won’t be able to fund that year in and year out and there aren’t enough players who deserve those payouts. So our future will continue to depend on coaching up the proverbial 3 star players. Those players are much lower down the financial ladder. Not saying it will be easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
We won’t be able to fund that year in and year out and there aren’t enough players who deserve those payouts. So our future will continue to depend on coaching up the proverbial 3 star players. Those players are much lower down the financial ladder. Not saying it will be easy.
Agree, but once those players start to develop, we’re going to have to pay them to keep them for two or more years.

Agree, but once those players start to develop, we’re going to have to pay them to keep them for two or more years.
Or getting higher ranked players who lost their shine after a year or two. Look at this years roster.

I also don’t know if most of the Big East has or can keep up with that projected number. Even for programs with strong NIL support already in place, there has to be a limit on what someone wants to pay out of their hard earned money for college kids to play basketball. I get if you are a billionaire with all sorts of disposable income, but for the average fan that gets hit up constantly for this stuff I can see it becoming really hard to justify when one has so many other financial obligations or causes they can support.

For what it’s worth, Fanta said several months ago teams in BigEast are now spending $4M/year on payroll.

Obviously not all have the means to do that but it’s obvious based on all the data points that the top half of the league is all $3M+ in payroll

For what it’s worth, Fanta said several months ago teams in BigEast are now spending $4M/year on payroll.

Obviously not all have the means to do that but it’s obvious based on all the data points that the top half of the league is all $3M+ in payroll
The majority of the BE can do that $4-5M per year without much of a problem. It's only a challenge for us, Butler and DePaul.

To most schools, they have much larger endowments and much better alumni giving. NIL is just a reallocation of those donations. No need to constantly spend on athletic facilities, NIL is the new arms race.

I think it will continue out of control until the big lawsuits are settled and the NCAA finally takes control of the situation and establishes rules. Its chaos right now. Reading the Times article and the piece over the Summer in The Athletic, no one is abiding by rules and major tampering is taking place in December and January. Kadary's case wasn't unique, it was the norm.

The majority of the BE can do that $4-5M per year without much of a problem. It's only a challenge for us, Butler and DePaul.

To most schools, they have much larger endowments and much better alumni giving. NIL is just a reallocation of those donations. No need to constantly spend on athletic facilities, NIL is the new arms race.

I think it will continue out of control until the big lawsuits are settled and the NCAA finally takes control of the situation and establishes rules. Its chaos right now. Reading the Times article and the piece over the Summer in The Athletic, no one is abiding by rules and major tampering is taking place in December and January. Kadary's case wasn't unique, it was the norm.
I hate to even say this but at a certain point is it fair to ask - if we cannot afford to compete with other high majors (NIL, facilities, staff salary, etc.) are we competing at the right level? Would different leadership get different results?

From a fan perspective major college revenue sports are awful. From a players perspective, it’s great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT