ADVERTISEMENT

No. 6 Pirates Square Off with Virginia Tech in Round of 16

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

IMG_0452.jpg

South Orange, N.J. – Looking to build on the program's most successful season in recent history, the No. 6 Seton Hall men's soccer team will take on Virginia Tech in the NCAA Tournament's Round of 16 on Thursday. Kickoff is set for 9 p.m. at WakeMed Field #4 in Cary, N.C.

After winning their first NCAA Tournament game since 2005 with a 2-1 victory over Air Force, the Pirates will look to advance to the quarter finals for the first time since 1988. Thursday's match will be streamed live on NCAA.com.

LAST TIME OUT

In a thrilling victory, CJ Tibbling (Jarna, Sweden) scored the game-winning goal in the 89th minute to put the Pirates over the Air Force Falcons, 2-1. The goal was Tibbling's team-leading seventh of the season and second game-winning goal in as many matches with his tally on April 17 helping the Pirates defeat Georgetown and capture the BIG EAST Tournament Championship.

After a scoreless first half, the Pirates struck first on a James Boote (Southampton, England) freekick in the 64th minute that JP Marin (Briarwood, N.Y.) headed past the Falcon keeper for the first goal of the game and Marin's third on the season.

Air Force would respond with an equalizer in the 75th minute when Tristan Trager floated one just past the outstretched arm of goalkeeper Andreas Nota (Rome, Italy). Nota came away with two saves in the victory. Sophomore Johannes Pex (Stephansposching, Germany) threw the ball in to Tibbling in the Air Force penalty area who played the ball with his back to the net before turning and firing a right-footed strike for the game-winning goal.

SCOUTING – Virginia Tech (7-6-3, 5-5-2)
  • The Hokies are also coming off a last-second game-winner as they defeated Oregon State 2-1 in overtime.
  • Jacob Labovitz scored both goals for Virginia Tech with the second of the two coming in the 100th minute just one second before time expired in the first overtime period. Labovitz leads the team with nine goals on the season.
  • The Hokies have now advanced to three consecutive Rounds of 16 and four since 2016.
  • The Pirates are 2-0 against Virginia Tech in the all-time series with wins coming in the 2001 and 2002 seasons.

NEWS & NOTES
  • Sophomore James Boote has been terrific on set pieces for Pirates this season. Boote has seven assists in the last eight games for The Hall and eight helpers on the season. That total leads the BIG EAST and is good for fifth in the nation.
  • Seton Hall is currently outscoring its opponents 12-3 in the first half this season. In total on the year, Seton Hall has only trailed a collective 41:34 of game time.
  • In just his third season at the helm, Seton Hall Head Coach Andreas Lindberg and his staff were awarded the BIG EAST Coaching Staff of the Year award, as voted on by the BIG EAST Coaches. Assistants Jeff Matteo and Ali Simmons and volunteer assistant Dan Solli share in the honor with Lindberg. This is the second time the Seton Hall coaching staff has been awarded as the staff of the year. The 2005 staff of Manfred Schellscheidt, Kazbek Tambi, Gerson Echeverry and Arda Altincatal also won the award.
  • The Seton Hall men's soccer team had five Pirates named to All-BIG EAST Teams. The five members selected to all-conference teams is tied for the highest total in program history when the Pirates also had five All-BIG EAST honorees in 2005. Highlighting the selections for the Pirates are two All-BIG EAST First Team members in CJ Tibbling and Luca Dahn. After a solid season between the posts for The Hall, goalkeeper Andreas Nota was awarded a spot on the All-BIG EAST Second Team. Rounding out the Pirates' all-conference selections with Third Team honors are JP Marin and Johannes Pex.
  • The Pirates currently sit at No. 6 in the United Soccer Coaches Poll. This the highest ranking for The Hall since they ended the 1988 season in the No. 3 slot. It's the second highest ranking in school history. Seton Hall has now been ranked in the top 25 for six consecutive weeks. It is the Pirates' first season being ranked top-25 nationally since 2006.
WATCH
The game will be streamed live with statistics through NCAA.com

Good luck tonight but know this , win or lose this SH soccer team has far exceeded even the most optimistic fan’s expectations and the future looks bright for this program. To the players and the coaching staff you have done yourself and Seton Hall proud and restored pride in the program.

Who’s joining me and my son in the drinking game every time they say “set piece” ?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If the term "Golazo!!!" is used tonight in connection with Seton Hall, I'll drink a bottle of whiskey. Easily my most favorite soccer expression.

Georgetown is good, it’s a culture there now. Doesn’t matter who they lost, it’s the system, culture, players ready to step up....

By the way, even though there are dozens of horrible examples of soccer jargon, starting with “fixture” and including other words like pitch, fitness, work rate, kit, etc, the worst of all, which deserves more than just drinking a shot, is when an announcer (or is commentator?) makes any reference to a player scoring a brace.

By the way, even though there are dozens of horrible examples of soccer jargon, starting with “fixture” and including other words like pitch, fitness, work rate, kit, etc, the worst of all, which deserves more than just drinking a shot, is when an announcer (or is commentator?) makes any reference to a player scoring a brace.
It actually doesn’t happen that often so we wouldn’t hear it that much.... unless you’re watching Lewandowski and Bayern. I actually like the soccer jargon and culture. One of the ones that’s often used is “quality “ when describing a team’s play.

Reactions: shupat08
There’s no jargon like soccer jargon
One of my best friends was born in Liverpool. He was an average soccer player there, but pretty good compared with Americans in the early 70s. Some friends of mine played soccer for Brookdale and convinced him to enroll so he could play soccer with them. He died of a sudden heart attack sadly a few years ago. At the repast, one of the guys he played soccer with spoke a few words, and I didnt know what the hell he was talking about half the time (never heard him speak this way before of since....) It started with "the pitch", which I finally figured out was the field...lol. At least I think it is.

UPSET! Marshall advances 7-6 in sudden death PKs!

God just please let our boys win in regulation!

let them win in any time period!
I’d prefer wins without heart failure. Get a comfortable lead early, hold it throughout and let us cheer and enjoy the game, safe in the knowledge that we’ll win and advance. I think I’d be having a stroke if our guys had to go to sudden death!

We score a goal. Spk and his son have three drinks. What better than that...
Wow we dominated that half… but missing the early penalty kick gave VA Tech momentum…and had a goal go in off our player.
But tied it with 10 seconds left in the half!

if they come out and play just as well this half…now that we’re tied…we should pull this out.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT