ADVERTISEMENT

No College 2020 Football?

When this first started I said this would end up with numbers akin to the flu and was right. If it weren't for dumb as nd dumber (Cuomo and Murphy) sending patients into nursing homes the death rate would be lower than the flu. More than half of the deaths came in nursing homes with an average age of 78. We don't need a vaccine. Flu shot only 30-40% effective in a good year.

consider the source people:

"This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in my life. If you can't follow what's happening...the dems call this over a year ago. See Bill Meher video from his show WISHING for ANYTHING to tank the market and economy. Thanks what this is whether you want to believe it or not."

"This is pretty comical. Considering canceling the greatest college sporting even of the year for risk of catching a cold. SMH."

"This is an absolute joke. Let's all go hide in our bunkers over the sniffles."

"As an MIT PhD in Biological Engineering who studies & does research nearly every day on the Immune System, the #coronavirus fear mongering by the Deep State will go down in history as one of the biggest fraud to manipulate economies, suppress dissent, & push MANDATED Medicine! -shiva ayyadurai....Check out his Twitter"

"Guy has multiple PhD's in immunology and the study of these viruses. People need to open their eyes to what the MSM actually is and their motives. The info they're dishing out will turn out to be as accurate and truthful as Russian collusion. I know politicians or media had nothing to do with the virus however they are certainly fanning the flames of the situation to tank the economy and stock market which they've been praying for for 3 years."

"CDC is politicized. I prefer to trust independent sources"

"Look at his qualifications. I've personally talked to a physician neighbor who wholeheartedly believes this is way overblow . You can choose to believe what you want. I chose not to treat this like the end of days."

"What draft... everything will be pushed back by this ridiculous case of the sniffles. Never seen anything more overhyped. You realize, media has mentioned Coronavirus over 50,000 times in the past month while Ebola was mentioned only 1700 times at the time."

"Swine flu accounted for over 12k deaths an no media hype. This is 1000% political."

"Well maybe I'm blessed. But seems that over 80% exhibit MILD symptoms. Should 80% of the population be punished for the less that the 20% that are susceptible? Make your own choice... that the point of a free society isn't it?"

"What!?!?? Are you trying to imply a virus like the cold virus is something you can't be cured from? It's a coronavirus...same class as the common cold. Stop perpetuating this nonsense."

"I don't believe anything coming from the mainstream media. If we've learned nothing else the past 3+ years is that they will blatantly lie, manipulate or distort the truth and when called out refuse to accept accountability. The hyping of this virus is 100% political. SARS, MERS, Ebola were FAR worse and didn't get a fraction of the media hype."

"agreed...that is why the 3% number is ludicrous. What they were saying is when this all shakes out it will be much closer to Flu numbers."

When this first started I said this would end up with numbers akin to the flu and was right. If it weren't for dumb as nd dumber (Cuomo and Murphy) sending patients into nursing homes the death rate would be lower than the flu. More than half of the deaths came in nursing homes with an average age of 78. We don't need a vaccine. Flu shot only 30-40% effective in a good year.
I knew KP would like your post and I await shu09 to do the same. Sadly covid infiltrated far more than NY and NJ. From what I understand many parts of the US via the CDC does not track fatalities from Flu or Flu like syptoms but is in the ballpark of 30k to 65k for 18-19 flu season. I understand with covid comorbilities are an accelerant but we are already looking at 5 times the low end number of flu deaths and sadly we are not done. I see a final number by Dec 31 at around 200k.

Let me ask you this, if you penetrated the bottom of your foot by a rusted nail in standing water would you refuse a Tetanus shot?

Reactions: Soyaqui
You are even more delusional than I know you are.
https://www.contagionlive.com/news/how-deadly-was-the-2019-2020-flu-season

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Can't wait for 2020 college basketball to begin on November 5.

What’s the greater risk to a football player...COVID or CTE?

CTE is serious concern for players. CTE will not send the players coaches, parents and grandparents to hospital. Covid might.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbie Solo
CTE is serious concern for players. CTE will not send the players coaches, parents and grandparents to hospital. Covid might.
Agree and the legal liability for that is what gave the B1G cold feet. There is a smoking gun here with different medical advice for different conferences and no unified front for deniability like there was with the NFL with CTE.

Reactions: Jerry1992
This isn’t substantiated by any data yet....just a theory. Heart damage can also be caused by anabolic steroids.

Lots of things can cause heart damage.

However myocarditis is the condition that is causing concern. It is typically caused by a viral infection and the anecdotal evidence to this point is that one is more likely to contract myocarditis if they are infected by COVID-19 than other viruses.

Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez was diagnosed with myocarditis after recovering from COVID-19 as just one example.

You're correct it's just a theory at this point but there are still a lot of unknowns.

The B1G looks like they don't want to take the risk the theory is proven. And it looks like they have convinced the PAC12 to go along with them.

Solo is right. I have said enough on the issue. Thought I was providing information as 87 was but it is all nonsense from these guys is right. And I am a guy who has been critical of Murphy.

The B1G looks like they don't want to take the risk the theory is proven. And it looks like they have convinced the PAC12 to go along with them.

Solo is right. I have said enough on the issue. Thought I was providing information as 87 was but it is all nonsense from these guys is right. And I am a guy who has been critical of Murphy.
I never said it was nonsense and quite frankly, could care less if the entire college football season is cancelled. I just find there is a little hypocrisy to use some anecdotal data to support the decision while the same people have been slow to respond to CTE data.

Right now there is a lot of spitballing amongst the science community regarding the long term effects of the disease. (Dr. Peter Osterholm is a good read). But you’re right in that decision making has become more about mitigating risk of lawsuits than actual public safety.

Reactions: SHUMA04
CTE doesn’t require hospitalization? Isn’t crippling?
Think you missed the point. He clearly says it is serious to the players. The point is that it’s not infectious sending those players’ coaches and loved ones to the hospital.

Think you missed the point. He clearly says it is serious to the players. The point is that it’s not infectious sending those players’ coaches and loved ones to the hospital.
Thanks. Yeah, I got that, but these players are also not living in a bubble off the football field (see Rutgers).

Digressing, but if a coach or loved one would feel at risk, they should be the ones taking necessary precautions.

I was just commenting on the players themselves and drawing a player safety comparison between CTE and COVID.

The coaches are adults and can decide if they want to coach their team. I think you guys are missing the whole "we want to play" movement that players and coaches are being quite vocal about. Many of you are giddy at the thought of the players making a political statement that you agree with, but scoff at them having any say if their season they've worked their whole lives for is taken away.

Coaches can opt out, players can opt out. For those that want to play, suit up.

The coaches are adults and can decide if they want to coach their team. I think you guys are missing the whole "we want to play" movement that players and coaches are being quite vocal about. Many of you are giddy at the thought of the players making a political statement that you agree with, but scoff at them having any say if their season they've worked their whole lives for is taken away.

Coaches can opt out, players can opt out. For those that want to play, suit up.
Don't know what I'm giddy about, I said nothing about that. I was simply stating that the poster was not scoffing at the seriousness of CTE, simply that it's silly to compare CTE and Covid. One is infectious, one is a hazard of bashing your head against something moving in toward you with force.

I knew KP would like your post and I await shu09 to do the same. Sadly covid infiltrated far more than NY and NJ. From what I understand many parts of the US via the CDC does not track fatalities from Flu or Flu like syptoms but is in the ballpark of 30k to 65k for 18-19 flu season. I understand with covid comorbilities are an accelerant but we are already looking at 5 times the low end number of flu deaths and sadly we are not done. I see a final number by Dec 31 at around 200k.

Let me ask you this, if you penetrated the bottom of your foot by a rusted nail in standing water would you refuse a Tetanus shot?

You are correct, flu numbers are estimates. They certainly aren't testing and tracking like this. It's also been proven that the covid numbers are likely greatly inflated by as much ad 60%. Add in that we had no idea how to treat this when it first hit and were mistreating causing some deaths.

I certainly wouldn't refuse a tetnis shot as it is a proven remedy for a potential bacterial infection. Don't see the relationship between that and a virus.

Reactions: Hallsome
Read somewhere schools like Penn St could lose up to $100m for a cancelled season. At first I thought no way, but, maybe it’s true, idk
Penn state revenue from fb was 105m. Revenue, not profit

Weak from a involved parties. Let's hope the SEC stays firm.

Reactions: shu09
https://nypost.com/2020/08/11/pac-12-joins-big-ten-in-canceling-football-season/

Pac-12 joins Big Ten in canceling football season

By Post Sports Desk

August 11, 2020 | 4:11pm |

pac-12-cancels-fall-sports-football.jpg

Getty Images

MORE ON:
COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Big Ten football officially canceled

Vegas can survive without college football -- as long as NFL goes on

Trump wants NFL to play this season, but under one condition

The potential fallout of college football season being wiped out

The 2020 college football season is going up in flames.

The Pac-12 announced it is canceling its fall football season, becoming the second Power 5 conference to take the measure as a safety precaution amid the coronavirus pandemic. The Big Ten announced earlier Tuesday it was canceling its 2020 football season.

“The health, safety and well-being of our student-athletes and all those connected to Pac-12 sports has been our number one priority since the start of this current crisis,” Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement. “Our student-athletes, fans, staff and all those who love college sports would like to have seen the season played this calendar year as originally planned, and we know how disappointing this is.”

The Pac-12 is postponing all sports competitions for the rest of the calendar year, which would impact non-conference basketball games.

Commissioners from the Power 5 conferences — which also includes the SEC, ACC and Big 12 — met Sunday to discuss whether college football should be played this fall.

Reports have indicated myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle being linked to COVID-19, is a factor in the conferences’ concern. ESPN reported at least five Big Ten athletes have been diagnosed with myocarditis.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba.../sources-pac-12-calls-fall-sports-eyes-spring

Pac-12 postpones all sports through end of year

• ESPN
The Pac-12 CEO group voted unanimously Tuesday to postpone all sports, including football and basketball, through the end of the year.

In a statement, the Pac-12 said if conditions related to the coronavirus improve, it would consider a return to competition after Jan. 1, 2021.

"The health, safety and well-being of our student-athletes and all those connected to Pac-12 sports has been our number one priority since the start of this current crisis," said Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott in a statement. "Our student-athletes, fans, staff and all those who love college sports would like to have seen the season played this calendar year as originally planned, and we know how disappointing this is."

Impacted Pac-12 student athletes will continue to have their scholarships guaranteed. The conference is also encouraging the NCAA to grant students who opt out of playing this academic year an additional year of eligibility.

The league's medical advisory group had "concerns that many of its current recommendations cannot be achieved consistently across all universities at this point in time. Currently, the availability of frequent, FDA-approved, accurate testing with rapid turn-around time vary at each of the Pac-12 institution locations. In addition, in many locations within the Conference, community test positivity rates and number of cases per 100,000 in the surrounding community exceed levels which infectious disease and public health officials deem safe for group sports."

The medical advisory group said, "it is anticipated that over the next few months, rapid point of care tests will become more available and we will have a greater understanding of potential short- and long-term health effects of COVID-19 to better inform medical decision-making."

Scott said in a news conference Tuesday that many factors went into the decision, including the fact that creating a "bubble," as some pro sports have done, was impossible for them.

"[Our student athletes] are part of broader campus communities," Scott said. "Student athletes are living with peer students on campus, interacting, and enough questions and concerns have been raised that we didn't feel comfortable moving forward."

Last month, in the wake of the same decision from the Big Ten, the Pac-12 announced it would proceed with a conference-only football schedule to begin Sept. 26. The Pac-12's decision to postpone the fall schedule Tuesday again follows the same decision from the Big Ten, which announced that it would postpone fall sports about an hour into the Pac-12's CEO group meeting.

The CEO group is made up of a chancellor or president from each of the conference's 12 universities and is the ultimate decision-maker for the Pac-12.

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg, Kyle Bonagura and Mark Schlabach contributed to this report.

It’s really not a complete loss of revenue. For instance, Penn State has given ticket holders three options. They already have the ticket revenue as everything is sold out. You can donate your ticket revenue and seat license and keep your place in line. Or you can roll everything in to next season. Or you can get a refund but you lose your place in line which no one is going to choose.And you only get a refund on the tickets and not the donation part of your seat license.

Yes they will lose concession revenue And the town of State College takes the biggest head because those are nine weekends that local businesses make a ton of money. That’s not the universities problem though.

It’s really not a complete loss of revenue. For instance, Penn State has given ticket holders three options. They already have the ticket revenue as everything is sold out. You can donate your ticket revenue and seat license and keep your place in line. Or you can roll everything in to next season. Or you can get a refund but you lose your place in line which no one is going to choose.And you only get a refund on the tickets and not the donation part of your seat license.

Yes they will lose concession revenue And the town of State College takes the biggest head because those are nine weekends that local businesses make a ton of money. That’s not the universities problem though.
Sure, already have money collected, but if they don’t play the season the revenue loss catches up next season, as the majority of people will just roll ticket money forward.

Most of big costs for football program are fixed, obviously will save on travel costs, part time salaries, etc...

Sounds as if many on here are probably disappointed they didn’t cancel basketball season today too. Highly improbable they will have answers to all the theories out there on what Covid might do to you by the time the basketball season starts. Might as well get it out of the way and let guys like Mamu and Aiken make decisions for their future now.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT