Nov 9 (Sat)TBAHomeFordhamSouth Orange, N.J. (Walsh Gymnasium)-
Nov 13 (Wed)TBANeutralHofstraUniondale, N.Y.-
Nov 16 (Sat)TBAHomeWagnerSouth Orange, N.J. (Walsh Gymnasium)-
Nov 21 (Thu)5 p.m.NeutralVCUCharleston, S.C.Charleston Classic-
Nov 22 (Fri)5 or 7:30 p.m.NeutralTBDCharleston, S.C.Charleston Classic-
Nov 24 (Sun)TBANeutralTBDCharleston, S.C.Charleston Classic-
Nov 30 (Sat)TBAHomeMonmouthNewark, N.J. (Prudential Center)-
Dec 4 (Wed)TBAHomeNJITNewark, N.J. (Prudential Center)-
Dec 8 (Sun)TBAHomeOklahoma StateNewark, N.J. (Prudential Center)BIG EAST-Big 12 Battle-
Dec 14 (Sat)TBAAwayRutgersPiscataway, N.J.Garden State Hardwood Classic-

Is anyone else underwhelmed by this schedule? Charleston Classic, Oklahoma State and then everything else is local mid-majors.

Reactions: HallGuy23
Is anyone else underwhelmed by this schedule? Charleston Classic, Oklahoma State and then everything else is local mid-majors.
The schedule is underwhelming, but that is by design, and hopefully it plays out positively giving our kids a chance to gel together as a team.

I think that Rutgers game on December 14 is going to have plenty of juice, maybe even more so than usual. Living in Bergen County, I cannot tell you how many people have already mentioned to me the charity exhibition they have against St. John's because so many more general sports fans/casual college hoops fans around here are so tuned into Rutgers hoops with Ace and Harper in the fold.

Reactions: Hall Berry
The schedule is underwhelming, but that is by design, and hopefully it plays out positively giving our kids a chance to gel together as a team.

I think that Rutgers game on December 14 is going to have plenty of juice, maybe even more so than usual. Living in Bergen County, I cannot tell you how many people have already mentioned to me the charity exhibition they have against St. John's because so many more general sports fans/casual college hoops fans around here are so tuned into Rutgers hoops with Ace and Harper in the fold.
Agreed about the schedule, dehere23. And there are different "scheduling" paths, all viable, to make a run for the NCAA tournament. If this is what Coach Sha deems as the appropriate path for our team, I'm good with it.

So, assuming we win all the home games by decent margins, beat Hofstra, and play tough at the RAC, to me, the OOC schedule comes down to must-wins against VCU and the Vandy/Nevada winner in Charleston. Those are likely top 75 NET teams and if you want be a tournament team, you have to beat teams like those.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHall87
It is weak but that’s how you have to schedule these days, fans be damned.

Okla St should not he very good, new coach and a complete overhaul.

Reactions: shupat08 and Piratz
Weak schedule but we’ll have better metrics than last year’s, so there’s that. Hopefully having 4 games before Charleston is a good tune-up as we really need to win that tournament.

Not sure what to make of Rutgers this year. They’ve got hype and potential, I guess will be good?

I disagree that we "have" to. And this isn't far apart from our basic scheduling template over the last decade.

It is underwhelming because most of the major conference teams on the schedule are coming off of poor years while the better mid-majors that we might play look ripe to fall off from their recent level of play.

What you "have" to do is beat most of the decent teams on your non-conference schedule.

I disagree that we "have" to. And this isn't far apart from our basic scheduling template over the last decade.

It is underwhelming because most of the major conference teams on the schedule are coming off of poor years while the better mid-majors that we might play look ripe to fall off from their recent level of play.

What you "have" to do is beat most of the decent teams on your non-conference schedule.
I’m with you on this.

For years this board, including many of our best posters closest to the program, mocked Rutgers for having the type of OOC it seems we have this year. Ultimately I care about the W/L record being such that we get into the dance, but as a fan I much prefer something different and part of the logic folks always used in the Willard years was that the challenging OOC was worthy of where the program was and prepared us for the league.

Last edited:

To be fair, isn't every team, every year a complete overhaul these days.

Reactions: SOBO1
Just an old man dreaming. Looking at the oc schedule and having faith in our coach to mold a pretty decent team out of this year's gang of pirates, what do you think of the possibility of us going into the Rutgers game undefeated ? Don't think I am delusional. I am just a 91 year old, class of 1956, pirate who has seen a lot of pirate basketball since I was 6 years old. So humor me. Give me your opinions. GO PIRATES!

Just an old man dreaming. Looking at the oc schedule and having faith in our coach to mold a pretty decent team out of this year's gang of pirates, what do you think of the possibility of us going into the Rutgers game undefeated ? Don't think I am delusional. I am just a 91 year old, class of 1956, pirate who has seen a lot of pirate basketball since I was 6 years old. So humor me. Give me your opinions. GO PIRATES!
Joe, I think they’ll be undefeated going into Charleston where they’ll be underdogs. Not big underdogs though. If we want to make the tourney, we have to beat teams like VCU, Vandy and Nevada. 2-1 in Charleston wouldn’t be the end of the world though and a loss there can certainly be offset with a win at Rutgers, which would be Quad 1.

But I defer to you! 85 years watching Seton Hall basketball! God bless you!

Reactions: PROF Ed
We better because our SOS is going to suck so if we crap the bed against anyone it’s going to hurt us big time!
Depends. If other schools are scheduling the same way… and they seem to be, then SOS won’t suck. Just have to win the games on the schedule.

Depends. If other schools are scheduling the same way… and they seem to be, then SOS won’t suck. Just have to win the games on the schedule.
im assuming he's assuming other schools will beat the patsy's . but we really don't have a good team on the schedule. others have 1-2

im assuming he's assuming other schools will beat the patsy's . but we really don't have a good team on the schedule. others have 1-2
It still depends…. There’s a difference in beating teams in the 125-250 range compared to teams in the 250-360 range. How it shakes out is anyone’s guess.

Surprised that Fordham (A-10) and not NJIT or Wagner would consent to play at Historic Walsh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT