ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern players allege hazing

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Andrew Battifarano

The hazing conduct in Northwestern’s football program, which the school released investigative findings on Friday, involved coerced sexual acts, according to two anonymous players — one current, one former — who spoke to The Daily Northwestern, the school’s student newspaper.

The current player claimed coach Pat Fitzgerald, who was suspended without pay for two weeks, might have been aware of the hazing.

The former player told the outlet that he reported the conduct, which included a practice called “running,” to the university in late November 2022.

“Running” involved being restrained by a group of 8-to-10 upperclassmen dressed in masks who would then dry-hump the victim in a dark locker room.

“It’s a shocking experience as a freshman to see your fellow freshman teammates get ran, but then you see everybody bystanding in the locker room,” the player told The Daily Northwestern.

“It’s just a really abrasive and barbaric culture that has permeated throughout that program for years on end now.”

Players allegedly identified victims by clapping their hands above their heads around that player.

One of the players who spoke to The Daily Northwestern said Fitzgerald made the same signal during practice when players, especially freshmen, made a mistake — which some interpreted as encouraging hazing.

“Everyone would just be looking at each other and be like, ‘Bro, Fitz knows about this,’ because you wouldn’t take that action otherwise,” the player said.

“Everyone joins in because he’s the head coach.”

ArentFox Schiff LLP, an independent law firm, was hired by Northwestern to investigate the alleged hazing.

In their findings, released on Friday, lead investigator Maggie Hickey said the whistleblower’s claims were “largely supported by evidence” and that participation in or knowledge of hazing was “widespread” among the team.

A university spokesman declined comment to The Daily Northwestern.

In addition to Fitzgerald’s suspension, the program is now required to have someone who does not report to the coaching staff monitor the locker room.

The team also will have to stop holding practices at Camp Kenosha, Wisc., where it has held training camp in the past.

On Friday, Fitzgerald addressed the investigation into the program and his suspension.

“I was very disappointed when I heard about the allegations of hazing on our football teams,” Fitzgerald said.

“We hold our student-athletes and our program to the highest standards; we will continue to work to exceed those standards moving forward.”

With the new revelations, however, there is a possibility that a two-week suspension will not be seen as enough for Fitzgerald.

A series of other hazing practices were also alleged, including freshmen being forced to strip naked and perform acts such as bear crawling.

A player also told The Daily Northwestern about a tradition called “the carwash,” in which some players would stand naked at the entrance to the showers and spin around, forcing anyone entering to rub up against them.

Upon entering the showers, a hose was allegedly set up to spray people.

The player also alleged that he was forced to participate in a naked center-quarterback exchange and that, despite another player being vocally adamant about not wanting to participate, older players threatened to run him if he refused.

“I’ve seen it with my own eyes and it’s just absolutely egregious and vile and inhumane behavior,” one of the players who spoke to the student paper said.

ESPN, citing a source, said the school was aware of the allegations.

“Our first priority is to support and protect our students, including the young man who brought these matters to our attention and all student-athletes who had the courage to come forward in this independent investigation,” Northwestern said in a statement to ESPN.

“That is why the university immediately opened this investigation upon learning of the allegations and why we took decisive action once we ascertained the facts.”

Northwestern had a 1-11 record last season and is set to begin this season at Rutgers on Sept. 3.

Any wonder why this team was 1-11?

And from afar I seriously have my doubts that no one on the staff had any hints this barbaric behavior was happening.

More heads have to roll. A 2 week suspension for one coach isn't enough.

Reactions: Duego Duck
In the era we live in with every phone a camera, people constantly using social media to communicate and expose misdeeds and inappropriate behavior the chance of such misdeeds being exposed is high yet we still see it happening , even at such a prestigious institution as Northwestern. The reality is that no school is immune from scandal and with outlandish sums of monies being paid to players will we see more scandals and more negative press about the role of sports at our colleges and universities.

Any wonder why this team was 1-11?

And from afar I seriously have my doubts that no one on the staff had any hints this barbaric behavior was happening.

More heads have to roll. A 2 week suspension for one coach isn't enough.
This is absolutely disgusting behavior.

Northwestern reconsidering coach’s hazing penalty, players call allegations ‘exaggerated’​

By Erich Richter

Members of the Northwestern football team are pushing back against the latest raunchy claims of abuse-filled hazing in their program as the school could levy an even heavier penalty on their coach.

“The recent allegations brought forth are exaggerated and twisted,” the players claimed in a joint letter from the “ENTIRE” team late Saturday via ESPN.

“It is disheartening to see that the allegations brought forth against our team have been exaggerated and twisted into lies. These fabrications have been made with the intention of harming our program and tarnish the reputation of our dedicated players and coaching staff. We firmly deny the validity of these accusations and stand united in our assertion that they do not reflect the true character of our team.”

The allegations were brought forth by anonymous players to the university’s student newspaper “The Daily Northwestern” in an article Saturday detailing a series of hazing rituals including one called “running” and claims of coerced sexual acts.

The report says that the freshman would be “getting ran” by eight to 10 upperclassmen while wearing masks, who are holding the freshman down and dry-humping them.

Another alleged ritual the players claimed in the article was called the “car wash” where in which some players would stand naked at the shower entrances to the showers and spin, forcing anyone entering to rub up against them.

“It’s just a really abrasive and barbaric culture that has permeated throughout that program for years on end now,” an anonymous player explained of the hazing in the article.

The players who spoke to the Daily Northwestern claimed head coach, Pat Fitzgerald might have been aware of the hazing — citing the hazers allegedly identified victims using a clapping gesture similar to one the coach used at practice.

In the letter from the team, the group stood by Fitzgerald, stating he wasn’t a part of any alleged hazing incidents and pointing out the school hired an independent private investigation firm to probe the hazing accusations for a “rigorous six months.”

“It is crucial to note that our Head Coach, Pat Fitzgerald, was not involved in any of the alleged incidents in any way, shape, or form,” the letter said. “Coach Fitzgerald had no knowledge of these allegations until they were brought to his attention during the investigation.”

“Throughout his tenure, Coach Fitzgerald has consistently prioritized the well-being and development of his players, and we stand behind him in his unwavering commitment to our team.”

Fitzgerald has been the Northwestern coach since 2006 and was initially slapped with a two-week unpaid suspension by the school.

He addressed the investigation program and his suspension on Friday.

“I was very disappointed when I heard about the allegations of hazing on our football teams,” Fitzgerald said.

“We hold our student-athletes and our program to the highest standards; we will continue to work to exceed those standards moving forward.”

But the school may revisit that decision in light of the new allegations stemming from the student-newspaper article.

“In determining an appropriate penalty for the head coach, I focused too much on what the report concluded he didn’t know and not enough on what he should have known,” University president Michael Schill wrote in a letter sent Saturday to the Northwestern community per ESPN, explaining his punishment of Fitzgerald.

“As the head coach of one of our athletics programs, coach Fitzgerald is not only responsible for what happens within the program but also must take great care to uphold our institutional commitment to the student experience. … Clearly, he failed to uphold that commitment, and I failed to sufficiently consider that failure in levying a sanction.”

Schill is expected to meet with the board of trustees and other University staff members to determine a proper punishment for their coach, according to ESPN.

Alongside the initial Fitzgerald suspension were a few other changes to the University policy, including no more preseason practices in Camp Kenosha, Wisc. and mandating a non-coaching staff member to monitor the locker rooms.

“Northwestern Football players DO NOT tolerate hazing,” the team said in its letter. “We want to reiterate that as representatives of the Northwestern Football program, we do not tolerate hazing in any form. Hazing goes against our values of respect, integrity and personal growth.”

Northwestern heads into its season with plenty of uncertainty about how it will go forward as the season rapidly approaches.

They are slated to open their season on Sept. 3 in New Brunswick as they face the Rutgers Scarlett Knights.

Pat Fitzgerald hires legal counsel to challenge firing as Northwestern coach after hazing probe​

By Christian Arnold

Pat Fitzgerald issued his first in-depth public comments in the wake of his firing as head coach of the Northwestern football team following a hazing investigation into the program.

Fitzgerald, 48, was first suspended for two weeks on Friday following the publication of a months-long investigation into hazing allegations.

The school changed course Monday after a report over the weekend detailed some explicit information about the hazing that took place.

“Attorney Maggie Hickey conducted a thorough investigation spanning several months into the allegations that led to my termination,” Fitzgerald said in a statement to ESPN. “Her investigation reaffirmed what I have always maintained – that I had no knowledge whatsoever of any form of hazing within the Northwestern Football Program.

“Last Friday, Northwester and I came to a mutual agreement regarding the appropriate resolution following the thorough investigation conducted by Ms. Hickey. This agreement stipulated a two-week suspension. Therefore I was surprised when I learned that the president of Northwestern unilaterally revoked our agreement without any prior notification and subsequently terminated my employment.”

The statement ended with Fitzgerald saying that he has hired legal counsel Dan Webb “to take the necessary steps to protect my rights in accordance with the law.”

Fitzgerald had been the head coach of the football team for 17 years and had amassed a record of 110-101.

The Wildcats had been coming off a down season in 2022, where they went 1-11.

The investigation into hazing allegations, which were first made in November, found evidence that “largely supported” those claims, but it never found any evidence that Fitzgerald knew it was going on.

In a statement on Monday, university president Michael Schill said that hazing included “forced participation, nudity and sexualized acts of a degrading nature, in clear violation of Northwestern policies and values.”

“While some student-athletes believed the hazing was in jest and not harmful, others viewed it as causing significant harm with long-term consequences,” Schill later said in the statement.

Pressure had been mounting for the university to take strong action after a more troublesome report was published by The Daily Northwestern, the school’s student newspaper, about the alleged hazing that took place.

A report by the student newspaper on Monday also painted a picture of a program that had a “culture of enabling racism.”

While the dust settled on the news Monday night, several current Northwestern football players took to Twitter to show support for their ousted coach and take shots at the administration for their decision.

“Dr. Gragg and President Schill- Hope vacation is treating you well. Next time you fire a head coach, make an effort for at least ONE of you to be there. Goes a long way,” freshman lineman Peyton Warford wrote on Twitter.

“Michael Schill and Derrick Gragg didn’t even have the balls to show up in person to tell the team. Too busy on vacation to even care. Embarrassing administration,” junior tight end Marshall Long wrote.

The school said on Monday that they would name new leadership for the football team in the coming days.

Northwestern is scheduled to open the 2023 season on Sept. 3 at Rutgers.

Pat Fitzgerald hires legal counsel to challenge firing as Northwestern coach after hazing probe​

By Christian Arnold

Pat Fitzgerald issued his first in-depth public comments in the wake of his firing as head coach of the Northwestern football team following a hazing investigation into the program.

Fitzgerald, 48, was first suspended for two weeks on Friday following the publication of a months-long investigation into hazing allegations.

The school changed course Monday after a report over the weekend detailed some explicit information about the hazing that took place.

“Attorney Maggie Hickey conducted a thorough investigation spanning several months into the allegations that led to my termination,” Fitzgerald said in a statement to ESPN. “Her investigation reaffirmed what I have always maintained – that I had no knowledge whatsoever of any form of hazing within the Northwestern Football Program.

“Last Friday, Northwester and I came to a mutual agreement regarding the appropriate resolution following the thorough investigation conducted by Ms. Hickey. This agreement stipulated a two-week suspension. Therefore I was surprised when I learned that the president of Northwestern unilaterally revoked our agreement without any prior notification and subsequently terminated my employment.”

The statement ended with Fitzgerald saying that he has hired legal counsel Dan Webb “to take the necessary steps to protect my rights in accordance with the law.”

Fitzgerald had been the head coach of the football team for 17 years and had amassed a record of 110-101.

The Wildcats had been coming off a down season in 2022, where they went 1-11.

The investigation into hazing allegations, which were first made in November, found evidence that “largely supported” those claims, but it never found any evidence that Fitzgerald knew it was going on.

In a statement on Monday, university president Michael Schill said that hazing included “forced participation, nudity and sexualized acts of a degrading nature, in clear violation of Northwestern policies and values.”

“While some student-athletes believed the hazing was in jest and not harmful, others viewed it as causing significant harm with long-term consequences,” Schill later said in the statement.

Pressure had been mounting for the university to take strong action after a more troublesome report was published by The Daily Northwestern, the school’s student newspaper, about the alleged hazing that took place.

A report by the student newspaper on Monday also painted a picture of a program that had a “culture of enabling racism.”

While the dust settled on the news Monday night, several current Northwestern football players took to Twitter to show support for their ousted coach and take shots at the administration for their decision.

“Dr. Gragg and President Schill- Hope vacation is treating you well. Next time you fire a head coach, make an effort for at least ONE of you to be there. Goes a long way,” freshman lineman Peyton Warford wrote on Twitter.

“Michael Schill and Derrick Gragg didn’t even have the balls to show up in person to tell the team. Too busy on vacation to even care. Embarrassing administration,” junior tight end Marshall Long wrote.

The school said on Monday that they would name new leadership for the football team in the coming days.

Northwestern is scheduled to open the 2023 season on Sept. 3 at Rutgers.
The school should just shut the whole program down for a year, while continuing to investigate which players perpetrated the hazing. Then kick them off the team and expel them from school. Next rebuild the team with a coach who has integrity.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
Anyone who was on sports teams and in locker rooms in past generations know the crazy sh-t that went on with hazing. Many kids would be uncomfortable but saw it as a rite of passage and some broke the cycle when they moved up in class. To think coaches had no idea is nuts. But those days are long gone. And as a coach you can’t just say you don’t know what’s going on with your team with these sort of things. Has Fitzgerald been living under a rock?

You need to actively implement and maintain a standard where this sort of thing is no longer tolerated, not simply turn a blind eye or let “boys be boys” anymore. It won’t work. Once it comes out, it’s over. No institution is going to defend it regardless of who the coach is and Fitzgerald was Northwestern through and through.

But why did they change from suspension to termination so quickly?

Anyone who was on sports teams and in locker rooms in past generations know the crazy sh-t that went on with hazing. Many kids would be uncomfortable but saw it as a rite of passage and some broke the cycle when they moved up in class. To think coaches had no idea is nuts. But those days are long gone. And as a coach you can’t just say you don’t know what’s going on with your team with these sort of things. Has Fitzgerald been living under a rock?

You need to actively implement and maintain a standard where this sort of thing is no longer tolerated, not simply turn a blind eye or let “boys be boys” anymore. It won’t work. Once it comes out, it’s over. No institution is going to defend it regardless of who the coach is and Fitzgerald was Northwestern through and through.

Public sentiment, bad publicity.

I never got dry humped by an upper classman in a mask... but thats just me...
Somewhere along the line stuff got weird...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT