DSC00258.png

No. 6 Pirates Defeat Virginia Tech in Shootout, Advance to Quarterfinals​

Virginia Tech 2
Virginia Tech (7-6-4, 5-5-2)

Seton Hall 2
Seton Hall (10-1-4, 5-1-2)

Virginia Tech110002
Seton Hall110002

Cary, N.C. – Senior goalkeeper Andreas Nota (Rome, Italy) made two stops on penalty kicks before calling his own number and stepping up to bury the clinching penalty to advance Seton Hall past Virginia Tech 7-6 on PKs and into the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals for the first time since 1988.

The No. 6 seed Pirates will take on the No. 3 seed Indiana Hoosiers on Monday at 5 p.m., at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C with a trip to the College Cup on the line.

The Pirates did their scoring trailing late in each half. Virginia Tech scored first with a Nick Blacklock goal assisted by Jacob Labovitz in the 14th minute. With 26 seconds left to play in the first period, Maurice Williams (West Orange, N.J.) got his head on a James Boote (Southampton, England) free kick to even the score just before half.

The Hokies retook the lead in the 56th minute with Blacklock's second tally assisted again by Labovitz. With a little under 10 minutes remaining and the season on the line, Andrea Borg (Sliema, Malta) stepped up in a big way. Off of a Boote corner, the ball was loose in front of the net when Borg was able to get his foot to it and find the equalizer for the Pirates.

The teams traded opportunities with the remaining time in regulation, but the game headed for OT. Both overtime periods were largely uneventful with the Hokies outshooting the Pirates 2-1. With no winner after 110 minutes, both teams readied for PKs.

Turning Point
After seven rounds of penalties, the score was still tied 6-6 with each keeper making a stop. Johannes Pex (Stephansposching, Germany), CJ Tibbling (Jarna, Sweden), Boote, JP Marin (Briarwood, N.Y.), Borg, and Eden O'Leary (Tel Aviv, Israel) all converted for the Pirates to that point. Facing his eighth penalty kick, Nota came up with a crucial stop to give the Pirates a chance to win the game. Nota then called his own number to take the eighth penalty for the Pirates. After spending 110-plus minutes trying to stop the ball from going into the net, Nota struck one past the Hokie keeper to send the Pirates to the NCAA Quarterfinals.

Goals
14' - Blacklock (3) from Labovitz
45' - Williams (4) – from Boote
55' – Blacklock (4) – from Labovitz
81' – Borg (1)

Inside the Numbers
  • Seton Hall had the better of the opportunities with 24 shots to Virginia Tech's nine. The Pirates also had the advantage in shots on goal, 11-5.
  • For the second consecutive game, the Pirates had six corners and while holding their opponent to just one.
  • Boote, Williams, Pex, Luca Dahn (Kahl, Germany) and Denis Kelmendi (Falkenberg, Sweden) played the full 110 minutes for the Pirates.
News & Notes
  • This is the Pirates first shootout victory in the NCAA Tournament since they beat Adelphi on penalty kicks in 1991.
  • The goal for Williams was his third of the year while Boote picked up his ninth assist of the year and eight in the last nine games.
  • Borg's goal was his first of the season after tallying twice last season.
  • Coincidentally, in the Pirates' only other quarterfinals appearance in 1988, the Pirates faced Indiana. The Hoosiers would defeat the Pirates by a score of 3-1 and eventually go on to win the national championship.
Up Next
No. 6 Seton Hall will now head to the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals and will face No. 3 seed Indiana on Monday, May 10, at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. Kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m., and the game will be streamed on NCAA.com.

Reactions: jdavispirates
Hard to believe but there are only two seniors on this team. Unfortunately one is Andreas Nota.
For what it’s worth, I heard that everyone will be returning next season, including our two seniors. Praying that is true!

Pro teams already had their draft this year (remember, that’s why Georgetown lost three of their guys) and soccer will go back to the fall. That with the extra year the NCAA granted it would be almost crazy not to come back!

Last edited:
Did anyone think of the movie “ Hoosiers “ when Nota pulled a “ Jimmy Chitwood and took that penalty kick to keep Seton Hall’s improbable run in the NCAA’s still going.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
One thing bothered me about the announcing. I assume "own goal", or whatever the catchphrase, is pretty unusual, and that all acknowledge the score came from an accident. Yet they lauded the guy for scoring two goals all game. And they rarely if evey explained the circumstances of first one. Hey, he played great, but the facts are important too. I dont watch soccer, but in hockey broadcasts they dont ignore it. I assume maybe some ACC bias?

Reactions: catholicman
SH’s next opponent Indiana advanced to the Elite Eight beating Marquette and SH and it’s coaching staff now has the opportunity to talk to fellow conference member Marquette‘s staff and get their input on what Indiana’s strengths and weaknesses are and their thoughts on how best to play given their game experience against them. When you’re playing an experienced and talented team like Indiana every bit of information you can get can be useful in your game planning.

One thing bothered me about the announcing. I assume "own goal", or whatever the catchphrase, is pretty unusual, and that all acknowledge the score came from an accident. Yet they lauded the guy for scoring two goals all game. And they rarely if evey explained the circumstances of first one. Hey, he played great, but the facts are important too. I dont watch soccer, but in hockey broadcasts they dont ignore it. I assume maybe some ACC bias?
Own goal in soccer is actually an official scoring decision and it's not too uncommon. While in hockey the last attacker to touch the puck before it goes in always gets credit for the goal, in soccer they review to determine where the ball was likely to end up without the deflection. If it was going to be on target anyway, the attacker gets credit for the goal. If it was going wide without the deflection, he doesn't get credit and it's officially considered an "own goal." From what I could gather in this situation, it was initially ruled an "own goal" but upon review that was overturned and he was given credit for it.

The guy who called the Indiana vs Marquette game was totally in the tank for the Hoosiers. He admitted that he had broadcast many Big 10 games. His bias was a bit much.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
SH’s next opponent Indiana advanced to the Elite Eight beating Marquette and SH and it’s coaching staff now has the opportunity to talk to fellow conference member Marquette‘s staff and get their input on what Indiana’s strengths and weaknesses are and their thoughts on how best to play given their game experience against them. When you’re playing an experienced and talented team like Indiana every bit of information you can get can be useful in your game planning.

Indiana is very good but very beatable too.

I'm really thrilled that we won that game last night. Obviously hoping we can keep going further, but that's one I really wanted. Not that this team needed any sort of validation, but I feel like last night provided it. SHU beat an NCAA tournament regular from the ACC (gold standard conference in college soccer) and advancing to the last 8 puts us right where our #6 national ranking suggests we belong. We'll be underdogs from here on out, but we know that won't bother this team. Time to aim higher!

Reactions: Abbo71 and mbraue
Just because they are keepers doesn’t mean they aren’t good field players. Actually a lot are very skilled players. It’s not too uncommon in penalties especially below the pro levels. I mean look at the penalty taken by Georgetown in the finals and by shu last night.. good saves but poorly take penalties.

Own goal in soccer is actually an official scoring decision and it's not too uncommon. While in hockey the last attacker to touch the puck before it goes in always gets credit for the goal, in soccer they review to determine where the ball was likely to end up without the deflection. If it was going to be on target anyway, the attacker gets credit for the goal. If it was going wide without the deflection, he doesn't get credit and it's officially considered an "own goal." From what I could gather in this situation, it was initially ruled an "own goal" but upon review that was overturned and he was given credit for it.
You are right. The announcer assumed own goal in the moment but the scorer gave it to the Va Tech player.

Sounds annoying. Can we get Fanta on our game vs IU?
Mentioned this on another thread - send down the student run TV crew to broadcast the game on Pirate TV and get Fanta to do commentary. I believe that the NCAA would allow since Pirate TV is free to its' viewers. It would be great exposure for Pirate TV.

Mentioned this on another thread - send down the student run TV crew to broadcast the game on Pirate TV and get Fanta to do commentary. I believe that the NCAA would allow since Pirate TV is free to its' viewers. It would be great exposure for Pirate TV.

Do you think their production would be any different? And don’t forget the Covid factor in all of this, which is why everything is centered around a few fields in NC. Come on with all of this. Just watch and enjoy!

That’s such a bad ass move by the keeper to take the final PK. Pretty awesome.

I posted “Onions!” in the game thread right after that moment. Upon further review, I should have gone with “Cipolle!”... The original post has been overturned. I will not be charged a timeout.

Reactions: TheHall87 and SHUSA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT