ADVERTISEMENT

NY Jets picks

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Rich Cimini
ESPN Staff Writer

The 2021 NFL draft is being held Thursday through Saturday and every New York Jets draft pick will be analyzed here.

After last season's virtual draft, Cleveland is playing host to festivities this year with a handful of potential draft picks present and socially distanced because of COVID-19.

Here's a pick-by-pick look at how each player New York has selected will fit.

Analysis of every NFL pick | Updated NFL depth charts

Round 1, No. 2 overall: Zach Wilson, QB, BYU​

My take: The Joe Douglas QB Gambit is complete. His hand-picked successor to Sam Darnold is Wilson, who has plenty of talent but carries just enough risk to make this anything but a slam dunk. They made a mistake by trading Darnold, but Wilson can make everyone forget about that. Under the circumstances, he was the best fit for the Jets. He has better arm talent than the other top prospects not named Trevor Lawrence and many scouts believe his learning curve won't be as steep as it will be for the others. This is a seminal moment for the franchise. They can't be wrong.

Armed and dangerous: There's a lot to like about Wilson. From a pure arm standpoint, he might be the Jets' best thrower since Vinny Testaverde. His arm is strong and accurate, and he can throw from different angles. His release is lightning quick. He can throw on the move, which fits nicely into the new offensive scheme. In 2020, he completed 62% on attempts of 20-plus yards, the best mark for an FBS passer since the metric was first tracked in 2011. There's a schoolyard element to his game; some compare him to Baker Mayfield. In Zoom interviews, Wilson impressed the Jets' brass with his aptitude for the game.

Question marks: It takes more than arm strength to play quarterback in the NFL; this isn't a "Punt, Pass & Kick" competition. Wilson's durability is a question. He's 6-foot-2, 214 pounds, but played closer to 205. His shoulders are narrow, so some wonder about his ability to add muscle and take a pounding. His throwing shoulder was surgically repaired in 2019. At BYU, Wilson was a one-year wonder who racked up amazing numbers against weak competition in a pandemic-marred college season. Can he replicate that in the NFL? Douglas, who could have traded the pick for two future first-rounders, has pushed all his chips to the middle of the table.

What's next: The Jets have the No. 23 pick, obtained from the Seattle Seahawks in the trade for safety Jamal Adams. They haven't had multiple first-round picks since 2013.

Round 1, No. 14 overall: Alijah Vera-Tucker, G, USC​

My take: The Jets addressed a major need by drafting the top guard in the draft. Detect a trend? This was the second straight year that they picked an offensive lineman in the first round. It's a smart move because it will help new quarterback Zach Wilson. It was a costly move. The Jets traded up nine spots, giving up their first-round pick (23) and two third-round picks (66 and 86) for the Vikings' first-rounder (14) and a fourth-rounder (143). It's unlikely he would have fallen to the Jets at No. 23. Credit New York for being aggressive.

Left side, strong side: Vera-Tucker played left tackle last season for the Trojans, but he has extensive experience at left guard -- and that's where he projects for the Jets. He will replace veteran Alex Lewis, a two-year starter for them. Suddenly, they have a potentially formidable left side, with Vera-Tucker and Mekhi Becton, last year's No. 1 pick. This is the first time the Jets have drafted a first-round offensive lineman in back-to-back years since 1977-78. That doesn't include 2006, when they drafted D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, both in Round 1.

Skilled pass-protector: Vera-Tucker is a strong, agile blocker with few flaws in his game. Scouts considered him one of the draft's safest prospects. In 2019, when he played guard, he was among the best pass-protectors in the FBS, allowing one pressure in 561 pass blocks. Many believe he has Pro Bowl potential. The biggest negative is that he started only 19 games in college.

What's next: On Day 2, the Jets have one second-round pick (34) and no third-round picks, thanks to the trade for Vera-Tucker. Expect it to be a defensive night, with needs at cornerback and edge rusher. Douglas also could trade down, looking to recoup picks.

It'll be very interesting to see what comes of Zach Wilson. To me, Sam Darnold was a better QB prospect by a significant margin, but then he had the colossal misfortune of playing for one of the worst head coaches in NFL history in Adam Gase. No one would've succeeded. I have no idea what this new regime is going to be like and I am far from sold on Wilson, though in the right scheme he could be good, but there are always surprises that arise from the NFL Draft.

Reactions: Pirates13
It'll be very interesting to see what comes of Zach Wilson. To me, Sam Darnold was a better QB prospect by a significant margin, but then he had the colossal misfortune of playing for one of the worst head coaches in NFL history in Adam Gase. No one would've succeeded. I have no idea what this new regime is going to be like and I am far from sold on Wilson, though in the right scheme he could be good, but there are always surprises that arise from the NFL Draft.
Those were my feelings as well. Personally, I would have kept Darnold, traded back to get Sewell or a stud WR, then picked the OL, CB or edge rusher at 23.

Those were my feelings as well. Personally, I would have kept Darnold, traded back to get Sewell or a stud WR, then picked the OL, CB or edge rusher at 23.
Although I can certainly see why Darnold is now considered damaged goods and even unsalvageable. That's a shame.

I just mean that coming out of college, he was a better prospect than Wilson is. Hopefully, Wilson is walking into a better situation.

Just remember that Darnold had a truly unsuitable head coaching situation while Wilson comes into a far more stable coaching situation with a more talented team and a better atmosphere around him which gives him a chance to succeed.

Got to take salary considerations into the equations. I was a big fan of the Darnold pick, but clearly his three years with the Jets were wasted partially due to the ineptitude of management.

Best to start all over with a rookie of at least comparable talent who comes cheap for the next four years.

Reactions: TheHall87
As a Jets fan, I love the picks. Darnold had little to work with but he also added to his own headaches with poor decision making, many times at the worst possible moment. His downfield throwing also lacked consistent accuracy, many times overthrowing open receivers. I wish him well in the future and think he can certainly overcome his issues in the right environment.

Wilson I believe is suited perfectly for the new Jets offensive scheme. He will make his rookie mistakes but is accuracy, particularly on deep passes, makes him special.

The offensive line pick was critical in both the passing game and the Jets running game (which was non-existent last year).

For the first time since Parcels, I feel the Jets are in the right hands with both their GM and coach.

Reactions: dutchpride
Got to take salary considerations into the equations. I was a big fan of the Darnold pick, but clearly his three years with the Jets were wasted partially due to the ineptitude of management.

Best to start all over with a rookie of at least comparable talent who comes cheap for the next four years.
The point you make about him being cheap for the next four years is a theme that’s being discussed widely in the league in general and whether we’ll see a trend where unless a QB is special and capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl that mega contract will not be there when his rookie contract expires .

Reactions: Section112
Either that or draft a QB who is married to a supermodel. 😜😜😜

Round 2

850fbd73-b321-425f-9c24-f597f53e8bdc.jpeg

Corner back is the more pressing need. I think the Jets will either select Assanti Samual Jr or trade back to reclaim additional picks.

Tom K

Samuel would be the obvious pick if they go biggest need. And you might be right.

I however look at it differently. The Jets still have a very long ways to go and if they are going to maximize the efforts of their new franchise QB give him weapons right off the bat. They did with pick 14 and I would like to continue that at 34 and choose Williams from NC.

They probably won't do that as D is more pressing, but I would.

Jets NFL Draft thoughts: Nick Foles should be next quarterback move​

By Brian Costello

The Jets landed their quarterback on Thursday night with the selection of BYU star Zach Wilson at No. 2 overall, then added a lineman to protect him with USC’s Alijah Vera-Tucker at No. 14. Here are some thoughts and observations on the Jets draft so far and looking ahead:

1. The Jets’ big quarterback move was taking Wilson on Thursday night. They have been targeting him for months. But another quarterback selection could have ripple effects for the Jets.

The Bears moved up to No. 11 in a trade with the Giants and took Justin Fields. Chicago now has Fields, Andy Dalton and Nick Foles in their quarterback room. That seems like a crowd to me. Foles makes sense for the Jets to acquire to be Wilson’s backup and mentor. At the moment, the Jets do not have a quarterback on the roster who has ever taken a snap in a regular-season NFL game. That is problematic. Joe Douglas needs to add someone to the group of Wilson, James Morgan and Mike White.

Douglas knows Foles from their days in Philadelphia together. Douglas has a Super Bowl ring on his finger in part because of Foles’ performance in the 2017 playoffs for the Eagles. Is Foles a good quarterback? No. But there are not many options out there at this point. The Jets had Brian Hoyer in for a visit this month, but did not sign him.

Foles has two years left on his contract and is scheduled to make $4 million this season. The Bears have already paid him a roster bonus. That is a reasonable number to pay a backup. I’m not sure the Jets would give up much for Foles, but the Bears’ asking price should not be much. The Jets have two fifth-round picks and three sixths in 2022. Could Douglas send one of those to Chicago in exchange for Foles?

Douglas also may just wait to see if the Bears cut Foles at some point and then just sign him on the cheap. Whatever he does, Douglas needs to address the backup quarterback spot at some point, and Foles makes a lot of sense.

2. I have mixed feelings about Douglas trading up to get Vera-Tucker. On one hand, I applaud his aggressiveness in moving up to get the best player at a position of need for the Jets. On the other hand, I thought having five picks in the first three rounds was huge for the Jets as they try to rebuild this roster. Now, they are down to three picks, with none in the third round.

One way the Jets could mitigate this is by trading back Friday night and turning the No. 34 overall pick into a later second-round pick and a third-rounder. If Douglas pulls that off, he should take a bow.

I think there are intriguing players available at the top of the second round for the Jets, but there are a lot of them. I think they can move back a little and still get one. They still have needs at cornerback, linebacker, running back, tight end, wide receiver and offensive line. Douglas has to find a trade partner, though, but sitting with the second pick in the round should help. Teams spend Friday sitting around looking at who is available. If someone is there they love, they be willing to deal.

3. Douglas hit the offense on Thursday night. Now, it’s time to address the defense. I get the argument for a running back in the second round, but there are some glaring holes on defense that I think Douglas needs to fill on Friday night. You can start with cornerback, where the Jets’ top three right now are Bless Austin, Bryce Hall and Javelin Guidry. The Jets prioritized the defensive line in free agency, but cornerback needs immediate help.

The best available corners are: Asante Samuel Jr., Elijah Molden, Tyson Campbell and Ifeatu Melifonwu.

The Jets should also consider Notre Dame linebacker Jermiah Owusu-Koramoah. I thought the Jets might take him if they stayed at pick No. 23. He surprisingly fell out of the first round, and I think he is a nice fit for Saleh’s defense.

If the Jets are able to trade back, they could grab a defensive player in the second round and then take a running back in the third. That would be ideal.

4. Much of the pre-draft talk on Wilson has centered around the quality of opponents he faced in 2020 with BYU. Douglas had an interesting answer and comparison when asked about that:

“That’s not his fault, no more than it was Steve McNair’s fault of what Alcorn State’s schedule was when he was coming out,” Douglas said. “He doesn’t make those decisions. But I think it was cool to see a young quarterback go into an SEC environment in 2019 and win a game at Tennessee, to go and play the USC Trojans early last year and win that game. It’s not like he hasn’t played high-level competition before.”

It is interesting that Douglas brought up McNair, who had an outstanding career out of a tiny school. Remember, Douglas also played a key role in the Ravens’ drafting of Joe Flacco out of Delaware. The quality of opponent did not scare Douglas away, and he raises a good point about the games Wilson won as a junior against Tennessee and USC. Everyone focuses on Wilson’s 2020, but he started three years at BYU. He made 28 college starts. Of the top five quarterbacks in this draft class, only Trevor Lawrence started more. There is a large body of work from college to judge Wilson on, unlike a Trey Lance or Mac Jones, who each only started 17 games.

As a Jets fan, I wanted Fields, and I have zero confidence in any of the first round QBs in this draft not named Trevor.

Wilson reminds me too much of Josh Rosen...cocky rich kid, one year wonder in college against weak competition. I hope I’m wrong, but it’s hard to have confidence in a team that hasn’t been able to develop a franchise QB in half a century.

I liked Darnold and thought he got a raw deal but I understand the financial circumstances for why they made the move, and Carolina gave them more than I expected for Sam.

Personally, I would have rather had Bridgewater than the extra 6th rounder, but if they can flip that 6th or a 5th for Foles to be backup, I’m ok with it.

I wanted Sewell instead of any of the rookie QBs, but trading up for AVT to pair with Becton was a good consolation prize.

I expected a trade up but more along the lines of the 16-20 range, not 14. RBs are a dime a dozen, and they still have Perine who could be decent, so take defense at 34.

Despite my lack of confidence in Wilson, I think this was about as good as could be expected for the Jets.

Not completely sold on Wilson because of his build (played at about 205) and the fact that he's had shoulder surgery and our doctors didn't get to check him out. I would have traded back, drafted all offense and gave Darnokd 1 more year. If he failed we'd have 3 1st rounders next year to get a QB. I think Miami made a great move doing just that.

But since they elected to move on from Sam, I'm ok with Wilson at 2. Trey Lance has the tempting upside but probably needs a year or more on the bench. SF is a perfect situation for him. Wilson is a good fit for our system and I love that they move up for the Guard to get him. Thought they gave up a lot (I would have given only 1 3rd rounder and a 5th or 6th) but the price was the price.

At 34 they have a ton of options and a ton of holes. They could trade back and recoup a 3rd or stay put and go LB, Edge, O-Line, WR or CB. Can't go wrong but I would stay offense - Grab a playmaker or another Lineman. Give Wilson the tools and support Darnold never had.

Four fits for Jets with second pick of second round​

By DJ BIEN-AIME II
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

The Jets had a strong first round by snagging two excellent prospects. And now they have an opportunity to draft a first round talent that fell into the second round with their No. 34 overall pick.

Gang Green secured their quarterback of the future in BYU’s Zach Wilson with the No.2 overall pick.

Then became aggressive by trading their No. 23, No. 66 and No. 86 overall picks to the Vikings for their No. 14 and No. 143 overall picks and drafted USC offensive tackle Alijah Vera-Tucker. The Jets saw him as a top-10 player on their board.

“We felt we had a unique opportunity to get a top-10 player in our minds, as our board was stacked to go up and get a guy like Alijah Vera-Tucker,” GM Joe Douglas said.

It’s a calculated risk, but as Jeezy once said, scared money don’t make no money.

The Jets are trending in the right direction as they continue their rebuild.

Getting protection for Wilson in Vera-Tucker is a smart way to enhance his development. When Gang Green drafted Sam Darnold in 2018, they didn’t even draft an offensive lineman in that class.

Focusing on the No. 34 pick, the Jets have options. They could double up on the offensive line, go defense or get a weapon for Wilson. Here are four possibilities they could go with.

Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State​

It’s surprising that Jenkins made it out the first round, but if the Jets select him the offensive line is vastly improved. There will be growing pains because of inexperience but this will set Gang Green up for the future. They love versatility in offensive linemen and the 6-6, 317-pound mauler could play guard or tackle.

An offensive line featuring Mehki Becton, Jenkins, and Vera-Tucker is a group that would transform the trenches for Gang Green.

Creed Humphrey, Center, Oklahoma​

Humphrey is the best center in the draft and some folks in the Jets’ building like Humphrey. He would be an upgrade and fix the Jets’ issues at center. The Jets will be running a wide zone scheme and he excels at zone-blocking because he has good footwork and is agile in space. A potential lineup of Becton, Vera-Tucker and Humphrey is tantalizing.

Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State​

The Jets still have holes at cornerback. But Samuel Jr. wins in man-to-man coverage which is the number one trait that head coach Robert Saleh says he looks for. He excels in man coverage because of his technique that includes instincts, smooth hips, and good feet. Even though he’s undersized at 5-10 and 180 pounds, he is an athletic corner with outstanding ball skills.

Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina​

With the Steelers selecting Najee Harris and the Jaguars picking Travis Etienne in the first round, a couple of the top end running back talents are off the board.

But Williams would bring explosiveness and physicality to the Jets run game. He’s a downhill and instinctive runner, who has good vision and runs strong through contact. In addition to his physical running style, he has elite quickness.

Williams would make life easier for Wilson and would fit into the Jets offensive scheme.

FWIW... ESPN+

34. New York Jets

Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina | Highlights

The 37-year-old Frank Gore led the team in rushing last year, and his 3.49 yards-per-rush rate was 43rd out of 47 running backs. Williams is a well-built back who seeks out contact and breaks more tackles than any other running back we studied.

This.

I think Joe Douglas has been playing with house money for the last year-and-a-half. Once they fired Adam Gase, the clock started ticking on the Douglas era. He wasn't going to spend another year waiting to figure out if the QB that he inherited might pan out. Tack on the looming fifth-year option which you almost have to pick up in that situation and it's easier to cut bait.

If Wilson doesn't work out for whatever reason, Douglas likely won't be around to make the call in four years on who the next franchise QB is anyway.

Reactions: Halldan1
MY GUT FEELING IS THAT jETS will trade down at #34 to acquire a mid rounf #2 and a #3 round pick.

Tom K

Four fits for Jets with second pick of second round​

By DJ BIEN-AIME II
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

The Jets had a strong first round by snagging two excellent prospects. And now they have an opportunity to draft a first round talent that fell into the second round with their No. 34 overall pick.

Gang Green secured their quarterback of the future in BYU’s Zach Wilson with the No.2 overall pick.

Then became aggressive by trading their No. 23, No. 66 and No. 86 overall picks to the Vikings for their No. 14 and No. 143 overall picks and drafted USC offensive tackle Alijah Vera-Tucker. The Jets saw him as a top-10 player on their board.

“We felt we had a unique opportunity to get a top-10 player in our minds, as our board was stacked to go up and get a guy like Alijah Vera-Tucker,” GM Joe Douglas said.

It’s a calculated risk, but as Jeezy once said, scared money don’t make no money.

The Jets are trending in the right direction as they continue their rebuild.

Getting protection for Wilson in Vera-Tucker is a smart way to enhance his development. When Gang Green drafted Sam Darnold in 2018, they didn’t even draft an offensive lineman in that class.

Focusing on the No. 34 pick, the Jets have options. They could double up on the offensive line, go defense or get a weapon for Wilson. Here are four possibilities they could go with.

Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State​

It’s surprising that Jenkins made it out the first round, but if the Jets select him the offensive line is vastly improved. There will be growing pains because of inexperience but this will set Gang Green up for the future. They love versatility in offensive linemen and the 6-6, 317-pound mauler could play guard or tackle.

An offensive line featuring Mehki Becton, Jenkins, and Vera-Tucker is a group that would transform the trenches for Gang Green.

Creed Humphrey, Center, Oklahoma​

Humphrey is the best center in the draft and some folks in the Jets’ building like Humphrey. He would be an upgrade and fix the Jets’ issues at center. The Jets will be running a wide zone scheme and he excels at zone-blocking because he has good footwork and is agile in space. A potential lineup of Becton, Vera-Tucker and Humphrey is tantalizing.

Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State​

The Jets still have holes at cornerback. But Samuel Jr. wins in man-to-man coverage which is the number one trait that head coach Robert Saleh says he looks for. He excels in man coverage because of his technique that includes instincts, smooth hips, and good feet. Even though he’s undersized at 5-10 and 180 pounds, he is an athletic corner with outstanding ball skills.

Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina​

With the Steelers selecting Najee Harris and the Jaguars picking Travis Etienne in the first round, a couple of the top end running back talents are off the board.

But Williams would bring explosiveness and physicality to the Jets run game. He’s a downhill and instinctive runner, who has good vision and runs strong through contact. In addition to his physical running style, he has elite quickness.

Williams would make life easier for Wilson and would fit into the Jets offensive scheme.
I'd take any of the 3 offensive players listed and wouldn't hate trading down into mid 2nd if we get a 3rd back. There are still plenty of good players left at positions of need.

Moore is a good pick in the 2nd.. I wanted him for the Giants. He is a Tyrek Hill type player. You don't need to take a RB until the 3rd or 4th round. and with 2 4s and 2 5s one from the Giants, the Jets can get back into the 3rd round for whoever.

On ESPN+ Mel Kiper criticizes the Jet's first round. On ESPN TV tonight he praises it.

On a more somber note....

Pete Lammons, ex-Jets tight end, dead after fishing tournament accident​

By Mollie Walker

Pete Lammons, a key member of the Jets’ Super Bowl III triumph, died Thursday in a boating accident in his home state of Texas. He was 77.

The former tight end, who was also on the 1963 University of Texas championship team, fell overboard at the dock and drowned while preparing for a fishing tournament in Brookeland, Texas, according to a press release from Major League Fishing.

An avid fisher, Lammons was a professional angler who was about to compete in the 57th MLF tournament of his career. His body was recovered by vessels using sonar, but efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

His nephew, Lance, told Jacksonvilleprogress.com that Lammons was fatigued from two stent surgeries he had undergone in recent weeks.

Lammons, who played with the Jets for six years, caught a touchdown pass in their AFL Championship win over the Raiders. He also caught a pair of throws from Jets legend Joe Namath in the team’s 16-7 upset of the Colts in Super Bowl III.

In 2018, Lammons attended the 50th anniversary reunion of the Jets’ lone Super Bowl team. He finished his NFL career, which included one season with the Packers, with 185 catches, 2,364 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Moore is a good pick in the 2nd.. I wanted him for the Giants. He is a Tyrek Hill type player. You don't need to take a RB until the 3rd or 4th round. and with 2 4s and 2 5s one from the Giants, the Jets can get back into the 3rd round for whoever.
Just an FYI... Williams was chosen with the next pick. He's special.

Jets draft Zach Wilson another weapon with Elijah Moore pick​

By Brian Costello

Joe Douglas continued to focus on the offense Friday night, giving new quarterback Zach Wilson a playmaker to go along with the protector he got him Thursday.

The Jets selected Ole Miss wide receiver Elijah Moore in the second round with the No. 34 overall pick. Douglas chose to add another piece to the offense despite glaring holes on defense at cornerback and linebacker. The Jets have now used their first three picks on offense and are not scheduled to have any more draft choices until the fourth round on Saturday.

Moore is an explosive receiver, who projects as a slot in the pros. He had a monster 2020 season with a school-record 86 catches for 1,193 yards in just eight games. He led all of college football in catches (10.8) and receiving yards (149.1) per game.

Douglas clearly is focused on building around Wilson after the Jets failed to do so with Sam Darnold. After taking the BYU quarterback No. 2 overall on Thursday, he traded up from 23 to 14 to take guard Alijah Vera-Tucker in the first round. Then, he added Moore with the No. 34 pick.

Moore was a three-year starter at Ole Miss. He was a weapon for coach Lane Kiffin both receiving the ball and running jet sweeps and gadget plays. Moore’s maturity was questioned after he simulated a dog peeing during a touchdown celebration in 2019 against Mississippi State. The penalty he received cost the Rebels the game.

The selection of Moore calls into question Jamison Crowder’s future with the team. Crowder is carrying a $10 million salary cap charge and has no more guaranteed money left in his deal. The Jets’ top wide receivers currently are Corey Davis, Denzel Mims, Moore, Keelan Cole and Crowder. If the Jets want Moore to play immediately, that could lead to Crowder’s release.

The Jets traded away both of their third-round picks in the deal to get Vera-Tucker and have no more selections on Friday. They are scheduled to have six picks on Saturday – two in each of the fourth, fifth and sixth rounds.

Jets’ Elijah Moore learned ‘countless things’ from urinating dog celebration​

By Joseph Staszewski

The Jets’ new wide receiver could draw Odell Beckham Jr. comparisons — just not the ones his new team wants.

Elijah Moore, who was drafted by the Jets in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft on Friday, cost Mississippi the 2019 Egg Bowl after he was penalized for celebrating a touchdown by crawling and pretending to urinate like a dog. After the 15-yard penalty, kicker Luke Morgan missed a 35-yard extra point and Ole Miss lost 21-20 to Mississippi State.

Beckham struck a similar pose in a 27-24 Giants loss to the Eagles in 2017. Moore said he learned “countless things” from the incident and every NFL team, including the Jets, asked him about it.

“You have to learn how to be a man and when emotions get high and situations get hot, just to be under control,” Moore said Friday night when asked about the infamous celebration. “You’ve got to best believe that moving forward that being in that position again, I’m going to think about that. It’s definitely a blessing in disguise. I probably got more out of it and I would never change it for the world. If I had to do it all over again, I would, if I would understand that I would be in the position I’m in now.”

elijah-moore-1.jpg

Elijah MooreAP

Moore, despite the objectionable celebration, was a very productive player for Ole Miss. He had a school-record 86 catches for 1,193 yards in just eight games last season. The Jets are hoping he can use his explosiveness on the field to help quarterback Zach Wilson for years to come.

“That’s not who we are. We’ve been a disciplined team all year, and so just disappointed that happened,” Rebels coach Matt Luke said at the time of Moore’s antics. “That’s not who he is. Elijah is a good kid, and he just got caught up in the moment.”

Moore looks very promising, yet since it’s the team that brought us butt fumble, it seems like the dog pee incident is all many people are going to associate with this guy. It was the first thing two of my friends texted me after they made the pick. Hopefully he gives enough highlights for more to talk about. I was surprised Douglas didn’t trade back into the 3rd round since Day 3 picks are a crapshoot but I’m happy with these picks. I’m wondering when they’ll get a Center, and the defense will probably be the focus today and in the draft next year.

Jets add explosive RB Michael Carter on final day of NFL Draft​

By Brian Costello

The Jets continued to add to their offense with their first pick on Saturday, selecting North Carolina running back Michael Carter in the fourth round with the 107th-overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Carter is only 5-foot-8 and 202 pounds but he had a monster season in 2020. He rushed for 1,245 yards and nine touchdowns and had 25 receptions for 267 yards and two more touchdowns. He shared the workload at North Carolina with Javonte Williams, who was drafted in the second round by the Broncos.

Carter’s parents both served in the Air Force and he is known as a high-character player.

Jets general manager Joe Douglas has focused on offense in this draft, using his first four picks on that side of the ball. It is the first time since 1983 the Jets have used their first four picks on offense. The Jets took quarterback Zach Wilson with the No. 2-overall pick and now have given him a guard (Alijah Vera-Tucker in the first round), a wide receiver (Elijah Moore in the second) and a running back in Carter.

Douglas has been focused on helping the Jets create explosive plays. That is what Carter did at North Carolina. He had 23 plays of 20 yards or more in 2020. He is explosive and can also return kicks.

Carter joins a running back room with La’Mical Perine, Tevin Coleman, Ty Johnson and Josh Adams.

Moore will forever live in infamy for that stunt. It ended up costing Mississippi the game (the penalty forced a 35-yard game tying extra point attempt which was missed). That loss ultimately cost his coach his job. Unfortunate because by all accounts that I've read, he's a good kid who made a bad decision.

That was a great piece in The Athletic last year discussing the ripple effect. Both head coaches ended up being fired and all told more than 300 different coaching positions around the country ended up being affected as the two schools replaced their own staffs.

Here's the ESPN story on the anniversary of the play which goes through some of that including one Mississippi assistant saying on the headsets "That right there freaking probably cost us our jobs."

Grading every Jets pick in 2021 NFL Draft​

By Ryan Dunleavy

The Jets obviously grew tired of hearing about the NFL’s worst offense.

New coaching staff. New scheme. New quarterback. And plenty of new weapons.

The Jets entered the 2021 NFL Draft holding 10 picks, made a few trades and came away with 10 players. The first four all play on the side of the ball where the Jets ranked No. 32 last season. Here are The Post’s pick-by-pick grades for the Jets’ draft class:

Round 1, No. 2 overall: Zach Wilson (QB, BYU)​

Wilson emerged as the NFL’s consensus No. 2-ranked quarterback, pulling away from Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Mac Jones. He doesn’t hide that he likes to take chances most quarterbacks won’t, so he will have to walk the tightrope between highlight and turnover. He can throw receivers open — or he did against a so-so college schedule.

Grade: A

Round 1, No. 14 overall: Alijah Vera-Tucker (OG, USC)​

Vera-Tucker was the clear-cut top guard in the class, and there was no way he was slipping to No. 23. So, the Jets traded up without giving up a first- or second-round pick. Great value compared to the Bears’ haul to move up from No. 20 to No. 11. The dream is simple: Vera-Tucker and Mekhi Becton as the new Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson.

Round 2, No. 34 overall: Elijah Moore (WR, Mississippi)​

It would have been easy to trade back here and recoup some picks, as a handful of teams were trying to move up. Or to pick cornerback Asante Samuel Jr. But the Jets vowed to make Wilson’s life easier. First with protection. Then with playmakers. Moore was second in the nation in receptions (86) and yards (1,193) in just eight games last season.

Grade: A-

Round 4, No. 107 overall: Michael Carter (RB, North Carolina)​

Carter was ranked No. 51 on The Post’s top 100. That’s tremendous value, after the Jets traded their way out of the sweet spot for first-rounders Najee Harris and Travis Etienne. Carter led the ACC in rushing last season, averaged 6.6 yards per carry in his career and returned kicks. Possible Week 1 starter.

Round 5, No. 146 overall: Jamien Sherwood (LB/S, Auburn)​

Sherwood made just 12 career starts as a college safety. He had just one interception and zero forced fumbles in college. But the Jets saw some potential as a developmental weakside linebacker.

Grade: C

Round 5, No. 154 overall: Michael Carter II (CB, Duke)​

If there’s a knock on the Jets’ class, it’s that they waited way too long to pick a cornerback given Bless Austin, Bryce Hall and Corey Ballentine are atop the depth chart. Hey, that’s the price of trading away two third-rounders. Carter is a three-year starter who still felt like a reach, especially because he played mostly in the slot.

Grade: C-

Round 5, No. 175 overall: Jason Pinnock (CB, Pittsburgh)​

Pinnock had three interceptions in 10 games (one-game suspension) in 2020, after allowing six touchdowns of 25 yards or more in 2019, according to NFL.com. He looks the part of a NFL cornerback, with speed, length and build.

Round 6, No. 186 overall: Hamsah Nasirildeen (LB/S, Florida State)​

This is a steal, though probably not to the degree Nasirildeen thought when he declared himself a “first-rounder.” ‘Tweeners tend to fall — look at top-20 prospect Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah sliding all the way to No. 52 — and it’s unclear if Nasirildeen has a true position. Played two games last season after returning from an ACL injury.

Grade: A-

Round 6, No. 200 overall: Brandin Echols (DB, Kentucky)​

Converted wide receiver who played spent two years at wide receiver before transferring to Kentucky. Aced his pro day with both straight-line speed and agility. A flier on elite athleticism.

Round 6, No. 207 overall: Jonathan Marshall (DT, Arkansas)​

He had the top athleticism score (99) among all defensive tackles in the class, according to NextGenStats. The 6-foot-3, 310-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.81 seconds, vertical jumped 32 inches and put up 36 reps on the bench press. Just 11.5 tackles for loss (1.5 sacks) in 34 games, however.

Grade: B

Overall draft class grade: A

Reactions: SnakeTom
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT