ADVERTISEMENT

October Recruiting

I hear you Lloyde. Maybe I was overly optimistic. Or maybe I’m too pessimistic now. There were a few posts from folks who seem more in the know that this was going to be a “done”. I guess we will see.

I think a lot of people read the word “done” when the word doesn’t appear on the page. And by now you have to have a pretty good sense of who is coming with legitimate information and those people use language carefully.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
I think a lot of people read the word “done” when the word doesn’t appear on the page. And by now you have to have a pretty good sense of who is coming with legitimate information and those people use language carefully.
I think this is exactly it. And it’s not exclusive to the seton hall fan base. Sometimes positive news takes on a life of its own and grows into something more than it is.

This is the free board. Doubtful many will have much inside info. Even trove members, closest thing to a Done was from SoOrangeJuice saying he felt good about Ashton Smith.

Nothing to see here, normal recruiting gossip, nothing more and nothing less.

I still have hope for Ashton Smith coming to the Hall but won’t be surprised/disappointed if he choose elsewhere. Especially with all the tea leaves pointing to A&M.

The transfer market is going to be on absolute FIRE in the spring without any sit outs. Honestly, I would be upset if we didn’t have at least one scholly open for a high impact transfer, two might even be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: deheremike

It may not be showing, but a bleacherreport article just came out showing Trevon Duval is having trouble making an NBA roster. He is the first one and done from Duke to go undrafted.
Maybe if he had went to SHU, spent a year with Sha, and developed under Willard he might be in a different position. Sometimes taking the money and going to a school where you are one out five superstars is not always the best decision. They should use his story as a message to five star recruits that visit SHU. On the other side, him not coming allowed MP to break into the starting lineup and the rest is history.

On the transfer market: would you rather have an older, more mature (both physically and emotionally), experienced player via the transfer route (who then cannot take another “free” transfer) or an inexperienced, less physically and mentally mature freshman who can bail out after a year with no sit out?

Obviously both types of player are needed but for a school like SHU that does not consistently land top 100 players, the new transfer rules have to figure very prominently in its recruiting approach.

Depends on how badly we need them to contribute in their first yr. I prefer the best fit (on and off the court) and the guy with the most potential, but ,if I really need immediate help somewhere, the transfer may be the better pick

But if we are afraid kids are gonna bail on us, that is a big problem. I dont think it is gonna happen. And I dont think that would be part of my recruiting strategy. And, I say the new rules are a net positive for SHU.

It may not be showing, but a bleacherreport article just came out showing Trevon Duval is having trouble making an NBA roster. He is the first one and done from Duke to go undrafted.
Maybe if he had went to SHU, spent a year with Sha, and developed under Willard he might be in a different position. Sometimes taking the money and going to a school where you are one out five superstars is not always the best decision. They should use his story as a message to five star recruits that visit SHU. On the other side, him not coming allowed MP to break into the starting lineup and the rest is history.
Duval has the athleticism, the skill, the knowledge of running the point, but the thing he didn’t have for the NBA was the shot. Maybe going to a school where he would have been welcomed back for another year would have been helpful but if he never developed a better jumper NBA was going to be tough for him. We will never know because pretty much Duke was
Moving on from him for one reason or another. Whether it was their decision or Duvals camp told them no matter what he’s a one and done.

Reactions: thehall07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT