ADVERTISEMENT

OT - 26 out of 82 - Jon Matlock

Seton75

Beyond All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Saw this stat last night. Maybe I just forget how many shutouts used to be pitched. But 26 of Matlock's 82 wins were shutouts. Seems such a high percentage.

Saw this stat last night. Maybe I just forget how many shutouts used to be pitched. But 26 of Matlock's 82 wins were shutouts. Seems such a high percentage.

That's just as a Met. Overall he had 125 wins and 30 shutouts. His last two years he won nine games combined as part-time starter/reliever.

He had seven shutouts in 1974 when we went 13-15 and six in 1976 when he won a career-best 17 games. He led the league in shutouts both of those seasons.

Matlack's record was surprisingly mediocre (125-126) for a guy with a career ERA of 3.18. A combination of pitching for some poor teams and the fact that run scoring was at a premium through the 1970's.

Yes right, as a Met. That percentage astounds me. Nolan ryan had 81 in 320 wins. Marichal 252 and 52. Carlton 329 and 55. Koufax in his 4 great seasons won 97 and had 31 shutouts, virtually the same percentage as Matlock as a Met

Yes right, as a met. That percentage astounds me. Nolan ryan had 81 in 320 wins. Marichal 252 and 52. Carlton 329 and 55. Koufax in his 4 great seasons won 97 and had 31 shutouts, virtually the same percentage as matlock as a met

Looking back, Matlack was a highly underrated pitcher -- certainly better than his record would indicate especially during his years as a Met. You could probably compare him to deGrom in terms that if he didn't allow one or no runs he might not win.

He really only had one poor season as a Met, his last in 1977 when he went 7-15 with a 4.21 ERA. I believe he was hurt that year which was also the year of the infamous Midnight Massacre on June 15. He won a Rookie of the Year and made three All-Star teams including winning a co-MVP as well.

Reactions: Section112
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT