ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mets Opening Day

HallGuy23

Senior
Jun 3, 2020
Yes, I know, another post about this. Slightly different tho. Pulling one of the very best pitchers in the game after 77 pitches.

Why is spring training 5-6 weeks long if pitchers won’t be fully ready for the start of the season?

Baseball has lost its mind.

Reactions: SHUSA
Yes, I know, another post about this. Slightly different tho. Pulling one of the very best pitchers in the game after 77 pitches.

Why is spring training 5-6 weeks long if pitchers won’t be fully ready for the start of the season?

Baseball has lost its mind.
It’s all about analytics now and if the big black box says pull him at 77 pitches that’s what the manager does.

Does fanduel give odds on met pitchers blowing his games. Just amazing this has happened so often

The explanation was that due to the pandemic he had not pitched in 10 days and the Met's wanted to protect his arm since this was just opening day.

I am not a big fan of predetermined analytics, but maybe in the long run not having him come out for another inning might have been the proper course of action.

Reactions: JRSlim2284

Jacob deGrom didn’t second guess his early Mets exit​

By Mike Puma

PHILADELPHIA — Ultimately, the four extra days of rest following the postponements in Washington led manager Luis Rojas to pull his ace early Monday.

Jacob deGrom was finished after six shutout innings and 77 pitches against the Phillies.

“If that was [last] Thursday and I’m on normal rest I don’t think there is any chance I’m coming out of that game,” deGrom said after a bullpen implosion buried the Mets in their season opener, a 5-3 loss at Citizens Bank Park.

Rojas cited the fact deGrom hadn’t faced batters in 10 days as the reason for the early hook. Miguel Castro pitched a scoreless seventh before Trevor May and Aaron Loup combined to allow five runs in the eighth.

DeGrom was originally scheduled to pitch Thursday in Washington. The entire three-game series was postponed after several Nationals players tested positive for COVID-19.

“We discussed it before what was the right thing to do,” deGrom said. “Long season and talking to them coming in, it felt like [six innings] was the right decision.”

DeGrom also went 2-for-3 at the plate, driving in the Mets’ second run with a single.

“Jake shouldn’t have to do everything himself,” May said. “That’s not what teams are, and frankly Jake did almost everything today.”

Rojas plans to keep deGrom on normal rest, pitching him Saturday against the Marlins at Citi Field. Marcus Stroman is aligned for the following day, and it’s still to be determined when fifth starter Joey Lucchesi (perhaps pitching behind an opener) will receive his first start. Stroman and David Peterson are scheduled to pitch the next two days in succession, with Taijuan Walker set for Thursday’s home opener. The left-hander Lucchesi is available from the bullpen this week.

Team president Sandy Alderson said the expectation is the three games against the Nationals that were postponed in the opening series will be played as part of doubleheaders, rather than forcing the Mets to forgo off days on the schedule. The Mets return to Washington for a series June 18-20. They are also scheduled to play in Washington on Sept. 3-6.

The Mets fell to 39-21 (.650) in season openers. The winning percentage is still the highest in MLB. Next on the list is the Mariners at 27-18 (.600).

After the Phillies got out of that jam in the fourth giving up just the one run, we switched to the Ken Burns documentary on Hemingway for a while (in a one-TV household where half the residents are antipathetic to sports, you make some compromises). Once that ended, I flipped back to see the bases loaded with Phillies and the clownish Aaron Loup (a Phillie in 2019) coming in for the Metsies, and I thought, "Ah, this is what other teams must have felt like against the Philly bullpen these past couple years. This is a nice change." The Phils then pushed five runs across because Aaron Loup, and I was satisfied. I think their magic number is 158.

Reactions: metalpirate07
Devils advocate, it's a looooong season, the Mets have a very good team, and Jacob deGrom is the most important part of it.

Does fanduel give odds on met pitchers blowing his games. Just amazing this has happened so often
they mentioned it has happened 31 times. That's not including all of the games he's lost after giving up 1 or 2 runs.

I know baseball is a 162 game season and the players will say they’ve put the game in the back of their memory but I just feel like it sets a poor tone to start the season. Rinse, wash, repeat. I just feel horrible for DeGrom.

Reactions: SHUSA
Pulling DeGrom wasn't the questionable decision. It was not starting/playing Dom Smith. All metrics show that Pillar was a bad matchup

I'm not sure pulling deGrom made much of a difference. He likely only gets through 1 more inning, giving May the 8th anyway. Just frustrating giving away a game in that fashion. I mean what was it, 2 walks, a hit batter and a horrendous error? It's one thing if the Phillies' hitters were doing the damage, but the Mets' bench/bullpen just gifted it to them.

After the Phillies got out of that jam in the fourth giving up just the one run, we switched to the Ken Burns documentary on Hemingway for a while (in a one-TV household where half the residents are antipathetic to sports, you make some compromises).

I am in a similar situation of tv sharing so This is exactly why for the first time in years, I did not watch the Mets opener. I knew I could only get one sporting event so I chose the title game, and you know what? I didn’t miss it. The game is unwatchable now it’s so boring. My partner is not a big sports fan but I got her into college basketball so I could have somebody watching The Hall with me, hockey is ok, and she tolerates football here and there in small doses. The one sport she can’t handle is baseball, says it’s just too boring and not fun to watch at all, and you know what? She’s right. How many other households like us are out there? Baseball has no idea how much they’re screwing themselves long term if there aren’t more changes.

I am in a similar situation of tv sharing so This is exactly why for the first time in years, I did not watch the Mets opener. I knew I could only get one sporting event so I chose the title game, and you know what? I didn’t miss it. The game is unwatchable now it’s so boring. My partner is not a big sports fan but I got her into college basketball so I could have somebody watching The Hall with me, hockey is ok, and she tolerates football here and there in small doses. The one sport she can’t handle is baseball, says it’s just too boring and not fun to watch at all, and you know what? She’s right. How many other households like us are out there? Baseball has no idea how much they’re screwing themselves long term if there aren’t more changes.
haha, same. she likes college basketball (thanks powell) and hockey. can tolerate live games. but could never watch baseball on tv.

The discussion on the Mets broadcast last night was about how teams will react to these situations all season long. In deGrom's case, not having pitched in 10 days was a factor. Truth be told as someone above mentioned, he probably would have been done after seven with another 15-18 pitches used up. Who knows how it works out.

The other overriding factor is because of the abbreviated 2020 season, no pitcher in MLB threw more than 84 regular season innings. There is a concern that many pitchers, younger ones especially, may struggle to bounce back to pre-2020 innings levels in one year.

On Monday in 13 games, no pitcher threw 100 pitches. Kansas City's Danny Duffy was high man with 97.

To each their own. I feel like every single baseball thread has someone commenting on how much they need to tell others they don’t like baseball.

Hockey is a tough watch on TV—although I like to go to games. Football is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Plus football has more commercials than anything out there. I’ve actually gravitated toward watching euro soccer if there is no basketball or baseball on TV.

I still love baseball. And—in my humble opinion—I disagree with all the people who complain about the game being different. We live in an immediate gratification time and we struggle to hold attention. I think people have changed with their expectation in sports.

There is still nothing like going to a baseball game in the summer. I look forward to taking all my girls to either Hall games in the winter and Mets games in the summer

Pulling DeGrom wasn't the questionable decision. It was not starting/playing Dom Smith. All metrics show that Pillar was a bad matchup
By the way—I want Dom Smith in the lineup every day. I don’t care if he’s catching. They need to have him in every day.

Really, the outfield should be Smith, Nimmo, Conforto with Pillar as a defensive replacement late in the game. Now with Davis possibly missing time, Smith will be in the lineup, but I want him in even after Davis comes back.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
By the way—I want Dom Smith in the lineup every day. I don’t care if he’s catching. They need to have him in every day.

Really, the outfield should be Smith, Nimmo, Conforto with Pillar as a defensive replacement late in the game. Now with Davis possibly missing time, Smith will be in the lineup, but I want him in even after Davis comes back.
This should've been the case before Opening Day. He's 1 of the best hitters and his defense is not elite but passable. No reason he shouldn't be in the lineup

Reactions: hallstorm
To each their own. I feel like every single baseball thread has someone commenting on how much they need to tell others they don’t like baseball.

Hockey is a tough watch on TV—although I like to go to games. Football is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Plus football has more commercials than anything out there. I’ve actually gravitated toward watching euro soccer if there is no basketball or baseball on TV.

I still love baseball. And—in my humble opinion—I disagree with all the people who complain about the game being different. We live in an immediate gratification time and we struggle to hold attention. I think people have changed with their expectation in sports.

There is still nothing like going to a baseball game in the summer. I look forward to taking all my girls to either Hall games in the winter and Mets games in the summer

The same applies to NBA threads as well.

I'm the complete opposite. I don't think I watched one inning of spring training but the switch flipped on April 1. I've had a free preview of the Extra Innings package so I've been flipping around to whatever game is on when the Mets aren't playing. Last night I stayed up to watch the end of the 13-inning SF-Colorado game. Right now I'm watching KC-Cleveland before the Mets game and have had afternoon games on all week. For me it's background noise as I get other things done. Just as college basketball games can be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT