ADVERTISEMENT

OT: St. John’s

Also a risk to do a coaching change. Better have that replacement lined up quickly.

I’m always down to laugh at St Johns, but this seems like a lot of scrubs leaving. Isaih Moore kind of hurts.

If SCOTUS rules college athletes need to be paid maybe transfers will hold out for higher salary.Talk about chaos and impact on the college game.

This transfer stuff is crazy!!!! Why would Swider leave Nova? And why would Earlington leave a coach he's thrived under? Or Williams for that matter? Coaches are going to have to recruit whole new teams each year....
Put simply, this sucks.

Transferring has become a hot , the “ in thing to do “ trend in college sports today and with no penalty to do so players look around and they see so many other players doing it , including their teammates, you have created a “ jump on the bandwagon “ atmosphere.. With no stigma attached and no penalty imposed kids seem ready to switch teams even though in many cases it doesn’t seem to make sense. Unfortunately that’s what the head coaches and his staff are going to have to deal with going forward and signing a HS player no longer means he’s yours for four years.

Does show how little regard most have for continuity of education... I sure hope all of their credits will transfer for the majors they're pursuing! :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: BabyBlue
I’m always down to laugh at St Johns, but this seems like a lot of scrubs leaving. Isaih Moore kind of hurts.
Williams and Earlington were contributors IMO. Type of kids Anderson’s system needs. Those are the two that hurt I think. Now if he replaces them with better or equal players it is irrelevant.

Agree that Moore kind of hurts too it seems - was their only decent big - but from afar it seems there were issues with that kid, including the mysterious COVID issue before our game in the BE. Anderson is old school it seems so I can imagine that one was him having enough.

Reactions: shupat08
Alas, it is a symptom of our society. Loyalty doesn't exist anymore. Employees today jump ship so readily. Employers phase out longer term (and higher compensated) employees just as readily. Kids don't commit (as if that is what they are doing) to a school for their college experience and education. Rather, they and their retinue of advisors game a system to build their "brand" so that the league extends an opportunity to play professionally. Of course the "brand" is a facade. This results in such an artificial and unjustified stratification of college athletics that college athletics has lost some of its appeal. With the free agency, it even further strips big time college athletics of the aura of education.

Even as many here bemoan the Hall's status as a relatively impoverished player in big time hoops (e.g.: the need for a luxurious practice facility), I do see redemption for the Hall in wonderful representatives of the Hall in Powell, Cale, Mamu, McKnight, Nzei, Gill, Obiagu, Reynolds, etc. These young men have been loyal and the school has been loyal to them. They value the primary mission of the university, education. I have so little use for the self-anointed "Power" conferences that have forsaken their mission for professional athletics.

Transferring has become a hot , the “ in thing to do “ trend in college sports today and with no penalty to do so players look around and they see so many other players doing it , including their teammates, you have created a “ jump on the bandwagon “ atmosphere.. With no stigma attached and no penalty imposed kids seem ready to switch teams even though in many cases it doesn’t seem to make sense. Unfortunately that’s what the head coaches and his staff are going to have to deal with going forward and signing a HS player no longer means he’s yours for four years.
Agreed. I understand the player’s side too, but even if this is “right” on the merits I think most agree it isn’t good for the sport at all.

dehere23 said:
This transfer stuff is crazy!!!! Why would Swider leave Nova? And why would Earlington leave a coach he's thrived under? Or Williams for that matter? Coaches are going to have to recruit whole new teams each year....

I feel bad for you. Having that many players leave your team at the same time sucks. If only St. Johns had better facilities.

Your funny. Apparently their facilities are like KY’s compared to ours, so shouldn’t be an excuse. But I’ll get more details from my next SJU booster club meeting to share. They won’t care as long as I’m infiltrating the Hall boards.

What happens when teams land all of their transfers and freshmen want out of their NLI because they're likely to be behind someone for 2 or 3 years? More chaos to come.
I dont know....but we may find out if Richmond chooses us.....

St. John’s lands commitment from Purdue’s Aaron Wheeler​

By Zach Braziller

St. John’s didn’t waste any time.

A day after rotation players Greg Williams Jr. and Marcellus Earlington entered the transfer portal, Mike Anderson and his staff filled a need by landing a verbal commitment from Purdue combo forward Aaron Wheeler.

The 6-foot-9 junior from Stamford, Conn., who has two years of eligibility left, can play on the wing and in the paint. He’s known for his athleticism and leaping ability as a reserve for the Big Ten stalwart.

Wheeler has family in Queens, and his father Bill played for Bishop Loughlin in Brooklyn alongside Mark Jackson. St. John’s assistant coach Van Macon has known the family for decades. Wheeler averaged a career-best 18.3 minutes per game this year, along with 3.9 points and 4.4 rebounds.

A coach familiar with Wheeler described him as a definite high-major rotation player with untapped potential who fits better in St. John’s up-tempo style than Purdue’s slow-paced half-court system.

His length and activity in St. John’s press will be good for them,” the coach said. “I think St. John’s will let him play a little more free on offense, which will loosen him up and allow him to just ball.

“It seemed like he was so worried about taking the wrong shot and getting subbed out at Purdue that it always limited his aggressiveness.”

St. John’s sees Wheeler as an upgrade over what it had in the frontcourt last year other than Julian Champagnie, a player capable of defending at a high level and also scoring inside and out, or making plays for others.

Wheeler is the next transfer St. John’s has added, joining Vermont grad transfer guard Stef Smith. The Johnnies have lost six players to the transfer portal since the season ended

No grass growing on SJU or Anderson and his staff’s feet in replacing the players that are leaving his program .

Majors??? Credits??? lol
The whole thing is a sham. It's time to come up with a better way. If there's 500 atletes in a school and 100 of them have no interest in class, I'd rather see those 100 spots in the classroom go to someone who wants to be there. Make the athletes sign a waiver and they can focus on their craft only. Let's just face the facts we have colleges sponsoring young people on their dreams of being professional athletes as opposed to the pure "student athlete" who picked college for the right reasons, not that the NFL and NBA don't have good minor league systems.

Dunn spent his first two years at St.Francis,NY before transferring to St.John’s . This poorly considered rule granting players an extra year of eligibility coupled with the lack of a required sit-out year is making college basketball look foolish . . So players like Molson , Dunn and others will wind up playing basketball at three schools and team continuity just disappears with so many schools having multiple players transfer .

Reactions: Piratz
Dunn spent his first two years at St.Francis,NY before transferring to St.John’s . This poorly considered rule granting players an extra year of eligibility coupled with the lack of a required sit-out year is making college basketball look foolish . . So players like Molson , Dunn and others will wind up playing basketball at three schools and team continuity just disappears with so many schools having multiple players transfer .

Gordon went to the NCAAs with 3 schools.

Reactions: metalpirate07

Dunn is going for a grand slam. He spent a year at Cleveland State and never played. The coach was let go after Dunn's sit out year and that's why he transferred to St. John's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT