ADVERTISEMENT

OT - World Series anyone...

Seton75

Beyond All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Maybe just because I am a Dodger fan (who survided Saturday night...) but this is a pretty entertaining series. The Dodgers can get into a HR only rut, but they have a few guys who are really stroking it so far. The 2 out RBIs, and respecting the strike zone are outstanding. I gotta say, with every pitchng sub Roberts makes, my stomach ties into knots. I read all year about this great bullpen, but that isnt what I have seen this series or this season. In his prime I thought Jansen was as close to Mariano as anyone (and not really close to that GOAT). But since his heart issues, never the same.

Nice to see Kershaw break out of his Peyton Manning-like post season duldrums. He has pitched a number of excellent post season games, but in the biggest ones, hasnt gotten it done. And the big red head too. I bought my house in 87. First year I was there, both Lakers and Dodgers won it all. Halfway home... That 88 Dodger team had its thre best players hurt, Mike Marshall, Pedro Guerrero and Gibson, probably fielded the weakest offense stat-wise ever, and the recent LA teams are great on paper, but cant get it done. Maybe this year, but the Rays scare the crap out of me.

If Gonsolin et al cant do it tonite, Bueher has a chance to take a step up the Dodger pitching pantheon.

Maybe just because I am a Dodger fan (who survided Saturday night...) but this is a pretty entertaining series. The Dodgers can get into a HR only rut, but they have a few guys who are really stroking it so far. The 2 out RBIs, and respecting the strike zone are outstanding. I gotta say, with every pitchng sub Roberts makes, my stomach ties into knots. I read all year about this great bullpen, but that isnt what I have seen this series or this season. In his prime I thought Jansen was as close to Mariano as anyone (and not really close to that GOAT). But since his heart issues, never the same.

Nice to see Kershaw break out of his Peyton Manning-like post season duldrums. He has pitched a number of excellent post season games, but in the biggest ones, hasnt gotten it done. And the big red head too. I bought my house in 87. First year I was there, both Lakers and Dodgers won it all. Halfway home... That 88 Dodger team had its thre best players hurt, Mike Marshall, Pedro Guerrero and Gibson, probably fielded the weakest offense stat-wise ever, and the recent LA teams are great on paper, but cant get it done. Maybe this year, but the Rays scare the crap out of me.

If Gonsolin et al cant do it tonite, Bueher has a chance to take a step up the Dodger pitching pantheon.

Hard to believe they haven't won since 1988. So they are overdue.

Seton75, as a Dodger fan have you ever gone to the site of the old Ebbetts Field? Such an important place
in American History. Jackie Robinson as the First African American Baseball player at a time when the game
was so important to the landscape of the United States. What's also remarkable is that less than a half mile away
a major battle of the Revolutionary War(The Battle of Long Island/Brooklyn) was fought on the site of what is now Prospect Park.

The Dodgers actually played at Washington Park on 5th Avenue in Park Slope before they moved to Ebbetts Field. Another connection between the Dodgers and Revolutionary War is that the team used the Old Stone House as their clubhouse on the site at Washington Park. The Old Stone House was a crucial site where the Maryland Guard held off great numbers of British and allowed for George Washington and his remaining troops, to escape out of Brooklyn in the cover of night to Manhattan.

The Dodgers got their nickname from fans having to "dodge trolley cars" in Brooklyn. They also played at Washington Park 2 off 4th Avenue near the site of the first Washington Park. There is actually one very small retaining wall of the stadium on the land owned by Con Edison. Supposedly, it is the oldest remaining portion of any stadium in the United States. The Old Stone House still remains today. My guess is that the average person in that area has no idea of the significance of what transpired there. Obviously, Ebbetts Field became a housing project and it has issues to this very day. The Dodgers wanted the first domed stadium on the land around today's Barclay's Center, but it never came to be and they moved to Los Angeles.

Last edited:
dodgers have been murdering the ball. no way they lose the series. im shocked rays have managed to stay in it.

dodgers have been murdering the ball. no way they lose the series. im shocked rays have managed to stay in it.
Rays should be winning the series. Couldn't get a guy in from 3rd with no outs to tie the game the other night at 3. Perfect example that teams look for the big hit and don't play the game the way it's meant to be played. Should've run the indefensible 1st and 3rd safety squeeze that the Dodgers ran beautifully Friday night. Dodgers blew game 4, then would've blown a 3-0 lead, pressure would've been on them.

Rays should be winning the series. Couldn't get a guy in from 3rd with no outs to tie the game the other night at 3. Perfect example that teams look for the big hit and don't play the game the way it's meant to be played. Should've run the indefensible 1st and 3rd safety squeeze that the Dodgers ran beautifully Friday night. Dodgers blew game 4, then would've blown a 3-0 lead, pressure would've been on them.
Agree but very few players practices bunting anymore.

i dont see the rays pitching as being able to control any game

Yes, I went to Ebbets Field site when I moved to NYC the 70s . Brooklyn was alot different back then! My older bro is 13 years older, and used to go to games there with my Dad and his friends.

I am worried till we win it, but if we lose tonight, Buehler is pitching Game 7.

After how he killed the ball in the NLCS, I feared Seager would cool off. He hasnt, Turner has joined him, now looks like Muncy is heating up, and Peterson, who bats .200 all season, is killing it. Not great offense from Betts.

If young kids are not being taught to hit to the opposite field, OMG. These shifts on everyone are crazy.

Dodgers are just an offensive juggernaut. When you can bring in Taylor or Pollack off the bench, that says something. Their hitting is just so prolific on how they manage the strike zone and especially with 2 strikes. It’s just very impressive. Seager is just out of his mind. He looks incredibly confident.

Rays can beat you in a lot of ways and they do all the little things. Hell, Kershaw gave up 2 runs on a squib 15’ hit by Keirmeier and then a spinning off-the-end of the bat triple by Diaz followed by a mistake hanging curve to Babe Ruth—I mean Arozerena—who got the only high velocity hit off him that inning.

Rays make you pay for mistakes, that’s for sure. One thing that’s for certain is the Dodgers pen is not reliable. Any lead is not safe.

The Dodgers bats can go to sleep. They can really go all or nothing together, 5 hits in a game, three HRs. The 2 out hits these playoffs are nuts.

The Rays got a bloop over SS , a walk, then a dumper between 2nd and OF that LA misplayed for the win the other day. The only hard hit ball was an out.

I fear these guys, and like LA, seems they have a bbunch of guys who can hit a HR. And think of me the next time an LA reliever comes in and walks the first batter.

I am sure it can be prioven that you bat your best guy #2. Still seems odd to me. But I was whining that Muncy is hitting like s... when I saw him batting cleanup starting the playoffs.

I see a Will Smith blast tonite. And please, get me a few innings out of Gonsolin.

Dodgers are just an offensive juggernaut. When you can bring in Taylor or Pollack off the bench, that says something. Their hitting is just so prolific on how they manage the strike zone and especially with 2 strikes. It’s just very impressive. Seager is just out of his mind. He looks incredibly confident.

Rays can beat you in a lot of ways and they do all the little things. Hell, Kershaw gave up 2 runs on a squib 15’ hit by Keirmeier and then a spinning off-the-end of the bat triple by Diaz followed by a mistake hanging curve to Babe Ruth—I mean Arozerena—who got the only high velocity hit off him that inning.

Rays make you pay for mistakes, that’s for sure. One thing that’s for certain is the Dodgers pen is not reliable. Any lead is not safe.
Sorry but i disagree with you on just about everything here. Dodgers top 3 are fantastic the rest are all or nothing. They can go into a slump real quick. It may not happen over these final 2 days, but all or nothing approach can backfire real quick. Which is exactly how the Rays have been playing all postseason. Did they manufacture 3 runs over 5 games against the Yankees? Without looking it up, I can't say they did. They almost blew a 3-0 series lead by not doing the little things and probably would have if Morton wasn't fantastic game 7.

I love baseball as much if not more than anyone on here, but the game stinks. How many watched the yankees just find ways to win in the late 90s. One night it was win with pitching. Another night was defense. Another night was moving guys around the bases with productive outs. Another night was the homerun. To watch this brand of baseball only makes me miss those yankee teams and I dislike the yankees.

Reactions: shu09 and Piratz
Very fun series.
Sorry but i disagree with you on just about everything here. Dodgers top 3 are fantastic the rest are all or nothing. They can go into a slump real quick. It may not happen over these final 2 days, but all or nothing approach can backfire real quick. Which is exactly how the Rays have been playing all postseason. Did they manufacture 3 runs over 5 games against the Yankees? Without looking it up, I can't say they did. They almost blew a 3-0 series lead by not doing the little things and probably would have if Morton wasn't fantastic game 7.

I love baseball as much if not more than anyone on here, but the game stinks. How many watched the yankees just find ways to win in the late 90s. One night it was win with pitching. Another night was defense. Another night was moving guys around the bases with productive outs. Another night was the homerun. To watch this brand of baseball only makes me miss those yankee teams and I dislike the yankees.

Absolutely could not agree more! The game is boring now because of how it's being taught, what is being valued and devalued. It's changed. Take strikeouts for example. Striking out is now an acceptable practice. In fact, there have been 104 in 5 games during this series.

I'm watching the World Series and there have been exciting moments for sure, but this is not the game I enjoy. Even that play to give the Rays the win in Game 4 was an absolute disaster in execution of a relay.

Reactions: SHUSA and shu09
Used to be my favorite sport, the only one I excelled at. I have a large room full of signed pictures of old time greats, particularly Red Sox. In a closet lies sets of limited edition Perez Steele cards, signed by HOFers. I could go on and on. I'm going to sell many of them for I have no relatives truly baseball fans. Real baseball fans, that is. Who know who Smokey Joe Wood was or Rabbit Maranville. I told my wife that if I could find a 10 year old who could tell me who Lefty Grove was or even Lefty Gomez, I would give him the whole kit and caboodle. So far I haven't and I doubt I will.

It wasn't until I read this thread that I learned who is playing in the Series. Let me know who wins, will someone?

Used to be my favorite sport, the only one I excelled at. I have a large room full of signed pictures of old time greats, particularly Red Sox. In a closet lies sets of limited edition Perez Steele cards, signed by HOFers. I could go on and on. I'm going to sell many of them for I have no relatives truly baseball fans. Real baseball fans, that is. Who know who Smokey Joe Wood was or Rabbit Maranville. I told my wife that if I could find a 10 year old who could tell me who Lefty Grove was or even Lefty Gomez, I would give him the whole kit and caboodle. So far I haven't and I doubt I will.

It wasn't until I read this thread that I learned who is playing in the Series. Let me know who wins, will someone?
I was in Chicago last summer. I had an orioles hat on. I’m sitting with people who sell sports memorabilia. This older gentleman taps me on the shoulder and says I noticed your hat can I take a photo with you. It was Brooks Robinson. Obviously I was in awe and said absolutely. I had to explain to the people who have hundreds of thousands of dollars in baseball card inventory who Brooks Robinson is. I was baffled people who have that much money in cards have no clue who Brooks Robinson is.

I was in Chicago last summer. I had an orioles hat on. I’m sitting with people who sell sports memorabilia. This older gentleman taps me on the shoulder and says I noticed your hat can I take a photo with you. It was Brooks Robinson. Obviously I was in awe and said absolutely. I had to explain to the people who have hundreds of thousands of dollars in baseball card inventory who Brooks Robinson is. I was baffled people who have that much money in cards have no clue who Brooks Robinson is.
It's because they are investors, not collectors. It breaks my heart to even consider parting with my treasures, but I don't want to burden my wife someday. Brooks Robinson. A real gentleman and not ancient history. Sad.
Years ago I showed a Joe Montana rookie card to a kid who looked at it and exclaimed ""Wow. That's got to be worth $125." I closed the album and changed the subject.

I get what you are saying, think lots of the same things as those saying it isnt as good, but I wonder uf that just means I am getting old. My Dad would spout off on modern sports as he sat in front of the TV, and his points often seemed kinda nutty and just old fashioned.

Reactions: hallstorm
I get what you are saying, think lots of the same things as those saying it isnt as good, but I wonder uf that just means I am getting old. My Dad would spout off on modern sports as he sat in front of the TV, and his points often seemed kinda nutty and just old fashioned.
Would love to see a poll, most exciting play of the World Series? Most exciting players in baseball? Was the steal of home the most exiting play? Are the most exciting players in baseball guys like Mookie Betts and Fransisco Lindor where speed and athleticism is a big part of their game? Or guys like Giancarlo Stanton and Freddie Freeman where power is their main asset?

Very fun series.

Absolutely could not agree more! The game is boring now because of how it's being taught, what is being valued and devalued. It's changed. Take strikeouts for example. Striking out is now an acceptable practice. In fact, there have been 104 in 5 games during this series.

I'm watching the World Series and there have been exciting moments for sure, but this is not the game I enjoy. Even that play to give the Rays the win in Game 4 was an absolute disaster in execution of a relay.

Amen. The way I was taught to play baseball growing up doesn't resemble today's game one bit. Today's game is boring, slow and one dimensional. I never thought I'd say that about baseball, but here we are. It's amazing how quickly the game has gone downhill.

I get that, but it's the speed with which the game has changed dramatically. Less than 10 years. And I'm not exactly an old man.

I think you are right. I grew up in the 70’s and early 80’s loving baseball. I remember my Dad telling me this “modern” baseball pales to the baseball of the his childhood. I would be willing to bet that my kid will tell his kid that baseball in his day was way better.

And yet, no one mentions the ‘ 14 & ‘15 KC Royals who eschewed the last 10 years of all-or-nothing and a). didn’t walk that much, b). fouled off pitches to prolong at-bats-even bad pitches, c). didn’t rely on the homerun ball to win games and d). fielded very well and ran the bases exceptionally well. Did they draw a huge TV audience? They’re two years of World Series appearances are two of the lowest of all-time.

I grew up on primarily 80’s and 90’s baseball and I’ve learned the game has changed. It’ll change again in 10 years.

PS—to the poster that mentioned that the Dodgers aren’t anything beyond the top 3 doesn’t really watch baseball. The fact that the 6th hitter in the lineup (Bellinger) was last year’s MVP tells you that poster is confused.

And yet, no one mentions the ‘ 14 & ‘15 KC Royals who eschewed the last 10 years of all-or-nothing and a). didn’t walk that much, b). fouled off pitches to prolong at-bats-even bad pitches, c). didn’t rely on the homerun ball to win games and d). fielded very well and ran the bases exceptionally well. Did they draw a huge TV audience? They’re two years of World Series appearances are two of the lowest of all-time.

I grew up on primarily 80’s and 90’s baseball and I’ve learned the game has changed. It’ll change again in 10 years.

PS—to the poster that mentioned that the Dodgers aren’t anything beyond the top 3 doesn’t really watch baseball. The fact that the 6th hitter in the lineup (Bellinger) was last year’s MVP tells you that poster is confused.
The value of a starting pitcher needing to get a winning decision has plummeted

Things are now about launch angle, defensive war, shiftings, openers and bullpening.

A lot of 3 true outcomes walk, HR, strikeout

The stolen base is a lost art, sacrificing or playing small ball is a dying philosophy.

The Dodgers are an org that embracing player development along with metric analytics and a payroll that can be unmatched.

The 2014-15 Royals were a small market team that sucked for so long that their key draft picks all developed and were fast tracked to the Majors at an inexpensive cost.

The infield was solid, great base running and had the ability to make certain trades for particular needs that would get them over the hump.

Of course now only really Salvador Perez still only player still around.

The Texas Rangers were somewhat similar a handful of years earlier and probably should have had atleast 1 WS and ended up with none.

The Dodgers have to win this season because if not now than never

Their best chance even though they had WS with Astros and Red Sox was 2015 and they couldn't get past the Mets who really outpitched them and Daniel Murphy had an insane postseason at the plate.

Things are now about launch angle, defensive war, shiftings, openers and bullpening.

The stolen base is a lost art, sacrificing or playing small ball is a dying philosophy.

The Dodgers are an org that embracing player development along with metric analytics and a payroll that can be unmatched.

The 2014-15 Royals were a small market team that sucked for so long that their key draft picks all developed and were fast tracked to the Majors at an inexpensive cost.

The infield was solid, great base running and had the ability to make certain trades for particular needs that would get them over the hump.

The Texas Rangers were somewhat similar a handful of years earlier and probably should have had atleast 1 WS and ended up with none.

Their best chance even though they had WS with Astros and Red Sox was 2015 and they couldn't get past the Mets who really outpitched them and Daniel Murphy had an insane postseason at the plate.
And cash and rays mectrics team gift the Dodgers, oh geeze blake snell was so effective vs the lineup the first 2 times they had AB we should pull him now so that they dont have a third chance against him

And how poetic for Rob Manfred to get crushed by 11k spectators in a chorus of boos and for the season to end with a player who played 8 innings getting removed after testing positive in a bubble enviroment for covid.

Why do think LA had to win this year or never? Their organization is loaded with good young talent.

Why do think LA had to win this year or never? Their organization is loaded with good young talent.
Because they squandered 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, Kershaw not getting any younger

Just so much variance, i think it would be something if they got back to a WS within the next 2 or 3 seasons

I guess time will tell, but they seem set up to be a factor for a long time.

So did the Mets in 2015. So much relies on the arms of guys throwing 95mph and above. It can change on a dime.
Yes, but the Dodgers have won their division eight years in a row, the Mets never even won one divisional title. Plus, the Mets roster was no where close to the talent level of the Dodgers.

Yes, but the Dodgers have won their division eight years in a row, the Mets never even won one divisional title. Plus, the Mets roster was no where close to the talent level of the Dodgers.
The Mets won the 2015 division nl east

The Padres look for real. The Dodgers will have real competition for the first time since Bumgardner and the Giants were good.

Our relievers gave them the Moe drabowski treat. Think it was game 1, 1966. We swept the Yanks in 63, beat the Twins in 65. Orioles go to a reliever early and he shuts us down. Then they sweep us. Then Koufax retires...that was as tough as grammar school ever got for me...lol

The dodgers have great home grown payers, all 5 starters are from their farm system, they have the smarts to get turner, Taylor and Muncy. And they have the dough to pay when needed. The only other free agent beyond betts is pollack as far as I can remember. But they will be able to give Seager what it tkes to keep him i hope. I am hopi to mimic the NYY when George was suspended years...

Betts and Bellinger are amazing outfielders. Infield defense is fine but not great though they were flawless in the series. I said earlier how the bats can all go to sleep at once, like what snell did to us til the sabermetricians gave us that wonderful gift of a new pitcher.

Buehler is our best pitcher. Urias, who I have always loved and never seemed to get the respect he deserved, is another terrific young pitcher. Those two and an older Kershaw is a pretty good top three. Dustin May is pretty darned good too though he struggles in the post season. Gonsolin to to a lesser extent. Closer is an issue.

To all the baseball fans who no longer watch the games, I think you'er nuts. I watch every night, usually the great Gary Cohen and the less great Mets. And so much now on MLB Network. Yeah, things change. But it is bottom of the 9th. 2 outs. Your best hitter is up. Down 1. 2nd and 3rd. Here comes the pitch. Ball one. Another one, we scald it down the third base line, but foul. Ball 2. Called strike. In no other sport does the intensity get racheted up like this.

Giveme a baseball game over the NFL season.

Give the Dodgers front office a lot of credit for the organization they’ve built based on finding young talent and developing them, for some very smart trades and free agent signings . Remember because of their success they’re consistently drafting at the lower half of the draft and yet their farm system keeps turning out MLB caliber players .

Give the Dodgers front office a lot of credit for the organization they’ve built based on finding young talent and developing them, for some very smart trades and free agent signings . Remember because of their success they’re consistently drafting at the lower half of the draft and yet their farm system keeps turning out MLB caliber players .
True, but ned colletti was no slouch either...2 big trades with red sox in this span, trade with the marlins, getting muncy, getting turner, joc pederson was a minor league POY and became a bench/platoon role guy

I agree good young arms, Urias already came back from missing 1.5 yrs plus

And did this without Price

You have Price for 2 more years

True, but ned colletti was no slouch either...2 big trades with red sox in this span, trade with the marlins, getting muncy, getting turner, joc pederson was a minor league POY and became a bench/platoon role guy

I agree good young arms, Urias already came back from missing 1.5 yrs plus

And did this without Price

You have Price for 2 more years
I wouldn't get too excited about a 35 and 36 year old David Price who hasn't reached 110 innings in 3 of the last 5 years.

I wouldn't get too excited about a 35 and 36 year old David Price who hasn't reached 110 innings in 3 of the last 5 years.
He is a humble person, feel he will be motivated to seek the best he can be, perhaps the year off helped him physically from last few years

He is a humble person, feel he will be motivated to seek the best he can be, perhaps the year off helped him physically from last few years
He's a great guy. I know people that played golf with him. Phenomenal drive. But I don't see how any of that stuff makes a guy with arm issues any better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT