ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State and Big 10 Football Players Demand Share of TV Revenue

Having outside medical care paid for is a big thing , and I agree it is in the best interest of the student athletes.
As far as revenue sharing , at this point the student athletes really have no other option as good as college to prepare them for professional football. So I don't believe Penn State / BIG10 needs to budge on that one. But that may change if the SEC enacts this.

Having outside medical care paid for is a big thing , and I agree it is in the best interest of the student athletes.
As far as revenue sharing , at this point the student athletes really have no other option as good as college to prepare them for professional football. So I don't believe Penn State / BIG10 needs to budge on that one. But that may change if the SEC enacts this.
Someone's going to have to have the balls to look like an oppressor. You know as soon as you come out an say no you're not getting any of the tv money, there will be claims how the student athlete is oppessed by an institution making money off them. Can't wait for basketball and football to get real minor league systems.

Reactions: Pirates13
Someone's going to have to have the balls to look like an oppressor. You know as soon as you come out an say no you're not getting any of the tv money, there will be claims how the student athlete is oppessed by an institution making money off them. Can't wait for basketball and football to get real minor league systems.
Basketball already has a head start. Personally, I don’t think we should look at college football and basketball the same. If I’m a top 20 high school kid that has no intention of spending four years in college, I would opt for the G league. Player development, you get paid, and there’s a proven path that other players have taken. Not sure what the insurance coverage is but I have to think it’s better than college.

Also the money for football is all about the the elite in-season matchups and national championship. It’s built for fewer teams. The basketball pay day is March madness and you need to keep that at three weekends and at least 64 teams. At some point the NFL will figure out a minor-league system.

Reactions: walshtrips
I think the only way you'll see "real minor league systems" for those sports is if the pro leagues fund them. Those leagues will not make money if left to their own devices, there simply isn't any money to be made.

The reason college sports are still a big deal is the emotional attachment we, as fans, have to our colleges and universities. That goes away with minor league professional sports franchises.

Reactions: HallB
I think the only way you'll see "real minor league systems" for those sports is if the pro leagues fund them. Those leagues will not make money if left to their own devices, there simply isn't any money to be made.

The reason college sports are still a big deal is the emotional attachment we, as fans, have to our colleges and universities. That goes away with minor league professional sports franchises.
There already is a minor league funded by the NBA.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
In the end, it all makes sense. College athletics has been big business for a long time, and it's only getting bigger. In what other billions-dollar industry are the participants not expected to pursue maximum compensation?

Recognizing that doesn't mean I like it. Selfishly, I do not. It's going to fundamentally change much of the experience I've enjoyed for decades in ways unfavorable to my interests.

But my interests are trivial compared to those of the players. And they are not rooted in fairness. The exploding of an unfair system is appropriate. Despite it personally being a bummer.

The minute the NCAA lost control of the issue and the state legislatures and politicians took over the death spiral of amateur college sports started.Will be interesting to see where we are 5-10 years down the road but I fear not for the better.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
There already is a minor league funded by the NBA.
And the reason it is funded by the NBA is because it isn't self-sustaining. There is little revenue to be made playing games in places like Oshkosh, Wilmington, Fort Wayne and the like.

Do baseball minor leagues pay for themselves? I have no clue.

Do baseball minor leagues pay for themselves? I have no clue.
My understanding is most minor league teams make money, but baseball controls salaries on MiLB players and the major league clubs obviously pay signing bonuses and contracts of top prospects. Obviously money is made mainly from ticket sales, concessions and local marketing deals, virtually no TV broadcast rights for minor league baseball.

My understanding is most minor league teams make money, but baseball controls salaries on MiLB players and the major league clubs obviously pay signing bonuses and contracts of top prospects. Obviously money is made mainly from ticket sales, concessions and local marketing deals, virtually no TV broadcast rights for minor league baseball.
And that works when you pay $400 per week.

Basketball already has a head start. Personally, I don’t think we should look at college football and basketball the same. If I’m a top 20 high school kid that has no intention of spending four years in college, I would opt for the G league. Player development, you get paid, and there’s a proven path that other players have taken. Not sure what the insurance coverage is but I have to think it’s better than college.

Also the money for football is all about the the elite in-season matchups and national championship. It’s built for fewer teams. The basketball pay day is March madness and you need to keep that at three weekends and at least 64 teams. At some point the NFL will figure out a minor-league system.
Agree. People have to stop worrying about what's happening with college football, it's apples and oranges when comparing to college basketball. Take away the allure of March Madness and much of the college basketball revenue disappears. No Cinderella teams in the field of 64 and the allure fades away.

And the reason it is funded by the NBA is because it isn't self-sustaining. There is little revenue to be made playing games in places like Oshkosh, Wilmington, Fort Wayne and the like.
But that’s what a minor league is.

wait till they realize the only reason people really get into the ncaa tournament was because of the Cinderellas of the world. St peters for one
This will be one epic failure
I disagree with this. Cinderellas are nice and a special part of the tournament but when you boil it down you need the brand names to make it work. What would be an epic failure is an NCAA tournament without the P5 schools.

Heroes aren't really heroes if there isn't a good villain to work with.

Ideally when this works itself out, the basketball tournament will remain largely untouched.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
And it is a fact that they are being taken advantage of by an institution making money off them.

And it is a fact that they are being taken advantage of by an institution making money off them.
If it’s a true business schools like SHU should shut down every sport but mens basketball. That’s the truth. You want to treat it like a business, treat it like a business. Soccer brings in nothing, baseball brings in nothing, womens basketball couldn’t pay for the coach on its own. All of these “departments” in a real business would be shut down.

That's been the case forever.They're getting a good free education plus the opportunity/coaching to develop their basketball skills to play in the NBA or overseas making decent money and a degree which they can use in professional life going forward.So,a value in basketball life and professional life.They are not being cheated by the present situation plus whatever the NIL brings.

Reactions: shu09
If it’s a true business schools like SHU should shut down every sport but mens basketball. That’s the truth. You want to treat it like a business, treat it like a business. Soccer brings in nothing, baseball brings in nothing, womens basketball couldn’t pay for the coach on its own. All of these “departments” in a real business would be shut down.
You're not wrong but the NCAA mandates we play 14 sports.

What would happen if the schools all just disbanded sports(football in particular), obviously unlikely but would interesting.

Penn St should show some balls and try to go independent like ND and see what their brand is worth by negotiating their own deal.

Football greed is destroying college athletics. It is quickly becoming a professional sport. I say let the 40-65 schools adopt a full professional model and let the 300+ D1 schools retain the amateur model.

Reactions: walshtrips
Every employer makes money off of it's employees. That's part of business. If that's taking advantage of them of them we need a whole new economic system. Let the NCAA pay it's players taxable wages equivalent to what the free market of the G-League is paying players. I'm all for it. But it's not the schools or the NCAA's fault if they market the product better and generate more revenue than the G-League. There's no rule in anywhere that says if we make X in revenue, payroll must be 20%X, 30%X or even just 5%X.

Just to add to that I think a lot of athletes will be setting themselves up for failure. The attitude of "I'm making 150K per year in college. Let me keep working on my craft." Hopefully they realize there's only so many spots in the NBA and NFL. Average G-League salary is 37K. I hope these young people don't pass up their studies trying to cash in now. $150K per year for 4 years isn't exactly going have you set for life.

Last edited:
I disagree with this. Cinderellas are nice and a special part of the tournament but when you boil it down you need the brand names to make it work. What would be an epic failure is an NCAA tournament without the P5 schools.

Heroes aren't really heroes if there isn't a good villain to work with.

Ideally when this works itself out, the basketball tournament will remain largely untouched.
Exactly the point. The current set-up while its not 100% perfect is still the best 3 weeks in sports.

Just to add to that I think a lot of athletes will be setting themselves up for failure. The attitude of "I'm making 150K per year in college. Let me keep working on my craft." Hopefully they realize there's only so many spots in the NBA and NFL. Average G-League salary is 37K. I hope these young people don't pass up their studies trying to cash in now. $150K per year for 4 years isn't exactly going have you set for life.
It’s not that disparate. Elite players and 2-way contracts are a minimum $125,000. Those are the players that would get drafted or projected as a pro out of HS.

So you make about the same, but the player development in the G is likely better, and you’re competing against more NBA type players.

It’s not that disparate. Elite players and 2-way contracts are a minimum $125,000. Those are the players that would get drafted or projected as a pro out of HS.

So you make about the same, but the player development in the G is likely better, and you’re competing against more NBA type players.
2-way contracts are fixed at approx. $500,000 for this year.

Reactions: HALL85

You're going to see bench players in college making more than regular G-League players. Boosters know you need depth and they'll pay for it. Yes the elite G-League player may get some big money because of stints in the NBA, but the overwhelming majority will not. My point is you're going to see a lot of situations where the non elite player gets the false sense of money from sport which is going to end quick. Hope that non elite player is getting good guidance. Seems like there will be a lot of those in college sports considering basketball alone has 1,000 transfers a year all looking for the next opportunity. And they'll have people in their ear, more than ever before, trying to tell them to get money today. Could be a recipe for disaster if they spend all of college thinking of making money off their name and not setting themselves up for life after.

Frankly players should have been sharing in TV money a long time ago. To me that makes sense much more than boosters giving big money directly to recruits for bogus NIL deals. Current model is a mess. Coaches and Universities are not giving up a cent in this new era.

Reactions: GOHALL85
You're going to see bench players in college making more than regular G-League players. Boosters know you need depth and they'll pay for it.
Indeed. Proud and rich alums will be glad to hand out funny money. Without the constraints of a salary cap or other restrictions, many players will be stand to earn more as "amateurs" than they would be going pro.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT