ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates Handle STAC in Final Preseason Tune-Up, 101-51

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Allesch, Bembry and Park-Lane all collected double-doubles in Thursday's exhibition victory.​

DSC00099_copy_5sHVe.jpg

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. – All eight players scored at least eight points with six players going for double-figures as the Seton Hall women's basketball team routed St. Thomas Aquinas, 101-51, in exhibition action in Walsh Gymnasium on Thursday.

This one was never in question as the Pirates dominated the contest from the start, scoring 15 of the game's first 18 points. The Hall's defense held the East Coast Conference favorites to just 29.5% shooting for the game and forced 30 turnovers.

Lauren Park-Lane (Wilmington, Del.), Alexia Allesch (Basking Ridge, N.J.) and Mya Bembry (West Orange, N.J.) all collected double-doubles. Park-Lane and newcomer Kae Satterfield (New York, N.Y.) led the Pirates in scoring with 18 points apiece.

The Story:
Seton Hall burst out of the gate with a 9-0 run and kept St. Thomas Aquinas off the scoreboard for the first 3:14. Park-Lane and Allesch followed with three-pointers on back-to-back possessions, which forced an STAC timeout and gave The Hall a 15-3 advantage with 6:02 left in the first quarter.

Already leading 37-20, The Hall closed out the first half with a 16-1 run over the final 6:41 to take a commanding 53-21 lead into the locker room. The swarming Pirates' defense forced 15 Spartans turnovers in the first 20 minutes and held them to just 22.6% shooting from the floor.

A free throw by Satterfield 30 seconds into the fourth quarter gave The Hall a 76-36 lead, but St. Thomas Aquinas responded with an 8-0 run. The Hall answered with a 19-2 run and held the Spartans without a field goal for 5:23 to take an insurmountable 95-46 advantage with 3:11 left to play.

Inside the Numbers:
  • Seton Hall was 39-for-88 (44.3%) from the floor for the game, while St. Thomas Aquinas was 18-for-61 (29.5%). The Hall was 10-for-34 (29.4%) from three-point range, while the Spartans were 8-for-19 (42.1%).
  • Park-Lane had 18 points to go with 11 assists and three steals.
  • The Hall out-rebounded STAC, 52-to-41, which included a 21-to-12 edge on the offensive glass and a 24-to-13 advantage in second-chance points.
  • Bembry had 10 points, 13 rebounds, six steals and three blocks.
  • Seton Hall was 13-for-16 (81.3%) from the free-throw line, while St. Thomas Aquinas was 7-for-10 (70.0%).
  • Allesch tallied 12 points, 13 rebounds and four steals. She was also a team-best +47.
  • Seton Hall forced 30 turnovers, while STAC forced 10. The Hall had a 30-to-7 advantage in points-off-turnovers.
  • Satterfield finished with 18 points, nine rebounds and three assists.
  • Freshman Shailyn Pinkney (East Hartford, Conn.) had 17 points and eight rebounds.
  • Senior Sha'Lynn Hagans (Manassas, Va.) tallied 10 points, four assists and two steals.
  • Graduate Jala Jordan (Blackwood, N.J.) had eight point, three blocks and two steals.
  • Sophomore Allie Palmieri (Trumbull, Conn.) finished eight points.
Up Next:
Seton Hall will open the 2022-23 regular season on Monday, November 7 when it hosts local non-conference rival Saint Peter's in historic Walsh Gymnasium. The game will be streamed live by the Pirate Sports Network and available for FloHoops subscribers. Tickets are available by calling 973-275-HALL (4255). Tip-time is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. ET.

I was at the game with Harty9, Glenn Mosley and other good friends not on this board.

Two of the three best players on the team, Cooks and Baines did not play due to injury.

Cooks will be back for the start of the season, but Baines is probably going to be out for a couple more weeks. In fact only 8 women were dressed with the rest of the roster in sweats.

The team looked great but the competition was so overmatched that it was impossible to get a true feels about the roster.

At the end of the game when the Hall approached 100 points Tony B was yelling at them to not shoot, and one time when Bembry had a steal and clear path to the basket Tony almost ran onto the court to stop her from scoring.

PJ was like that and I totally respected him for it.

BTW, Alexia Allesch was on the team years ago and then transferred down. She came back this year and to be truthful I wondered what Tony was thinking. I know now because she REALLY has improved from the player I remember.

Reactions: shupat08
I was at the game with Harty9, Glenn Mosley and other good friends not on this board.

Two of the three best players on the team, Cooks and Baines did not play due to injury.

Cooks will be back for the start of the season, but Baines is probably going to be out for a couple more weeks. In fact only 8 women were dressed with the rest of the roster in sweats.

The team looked great but the competition was so overmatched that it was impossible to get a true feels about the roster.

At the end of the game when the Hall approached 100 points Tony B was yelling at them to not shoot, and one time when Bembry had a steal and clear path to the basket Tony almost ran onto the court to stop her from scoring.

PJ was like that and I totally respected him for it.

BTW, Alexia Allesch was on the team years ago and then transferred down. She came back this year and to be truthful I wondered what Tony was thinking. I know now because she REALLY has improved from the player I remember.
Pre season polls are out and we did not get 1 vote. Two tests early ru away and Princeton home. RU because it is away and Princeton is very good .

Reactions: BabyBlue
Most would question the depth as to the reason. After all we are returning two first team all Big East players.

The eight women that played last night all looked really good. But as feisty as the visitors were, they were like little girls playing against women.

Lots of credit to the visiting coach. As overmatched as his team was they played fast paced entertaining basketball throughout. Clearly when they go back to their level that is how they compete.

Have to improve their three point shooting percentage. 29% is not going to get it done. Pirates shot 34.7% from the three lastseason.

Because of the score after the first 15 minutes or so shot selection waned and players despite moving the ball well all night took many ill advised long range jumpers.

I was very impressed early with the ball movement despite the lack of opposition but in games like this one you can get into bad habits quickly.

Tony brings back for this season a very experienced team with 7 seniors and 3 graduate students on his 13 player roster and should have a very good year if the team can avoid injuries and can keep everyone happy with how he allocates minutes. I did notice that Tony only has 13 players on ship which has not been his usual practice of having the full 15 players on ship . With 10 of the 13 players graduating this year he and his staff have a big recruiting job ahead of them and I see him tapping the transfer portal again.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Tony brings back for this season a very experienced team with 7 seniors and 3 graduate students on his 13 player roster and should have a very good year if the team can avoid injuries and can keep everyone happy with how he allocates minutes. I did notice that Tony only has 13 players on ship which has not been his usual practice of having the full 15 players on ship . With 10 of the 13 players graduating this year he and his staff have a big recruiting job ahead of them and I see him tapping the transfer portal again.
Those who are true seniors, not grad students, will still have a Covid year (Park-Lane for example). That said, Coach Bozzella has had great success with the transfer portal.

Pre season polls are out and we did not get 1 vote. Two tests early ru away and Princeton home. RU because it is away and Princeton is very good .
Unfortunately for us, Rutgers is not a test this year. They only have eight players on the roster. This should be the worst RU team in 40 years.

Unfortunately for us, Rutgers is not a test this year. They only have eight players on the roster. This should be the worst RU team in 40 years.
Only 8!? Gonna be a mighty short bench! Are players hurt? No walk-ons?

That's no surprise. With the exception of Tony's two NCAA seasons, we haven't had any impact on the national scene in years. Being picked for a fourth-place tie in the BE pre-season poll isn't going to impress many either.

This team will have to earn whatever votes they garner in the national polls. On paper they are good enough to be quite good but they will need to deliver on that promise.

Those who are true seniors, not grad students, will still have a Covid year (Park-Lane for example). That said, Coach Bozzella has had great success with the transfer portal.
That’s debatable, considering the many, many players he has LOST to the transfer portal, including one of the best returning players this year

forgot to mention Martin Salley was also at the game

That’s debatable, considering the many, many players he has LOST to the transfer portal, including one of the best returning players this year

“ The transfer portal giveth and the transfer portal taketh “ . One of the commandments of recruiting today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT