ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates Set For BIG EAST Championship Opener Against Creighton

SHU ties game at 2-2, They actually took lead, but run was taken off board after a very questionable interference breaking up a DP.

At 12:30 AM in pouring rain and cold. Give credit to the Xavier fans many under blankets.

SHU had leadoff man on, but don't score. They really struggle in tight situations to execute or have quality at bats. They have one more shot to save season.

Hall loses 4-2. They did a lot wrong in this game albeit in tough conditions. The season
is Mercifully Over. They need to regroup as a Program.

SHU had leadoff man on, but don't score. They really struggle in tight situations to execute or have quality at bats.
It was like that mostly all year.

Remember during the season when they lost a boatload of consecutive one run games and I posted they were not clutch. Good teams win the close ones.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
SHU ties game at 2-2, They actually took lead, but run was taken off board after a very questionable interference breaking up a DP.
That was a terrible call by umps. I have never seen such a call. No interference with the throw whatsoever.

The reviews are a bad idea. The Creighton coach milked that cow to death and never got a call overturned in game 1.

Remember during the season when they lost a boatload of consecutive one run games and I posted they were not clutch. Good teams win the close ones.
It's time to look at overhauling our once proud baseball program. We need a new approach. We currently have a culture of mediocrity, choking, and playing not to lose, rather than aggressively trying to win.

Yes, I was trying to be kind I would say that the roster is compiled of lower tier Division I players who often play at a Division 2 level. There are a few decent players but even they struggle against good competition and in important situations. The pitching staff lack good solid mechanics and thus the control issues that haunt them. It’s a hot mess. Thankfully, there is limited interest.

Season-ending 7 game losing streak.

Another miserable effort at the Big East Tournament.

Lot of questions need to asked about the future course of the program.

Late season choke jobs have been common under this coaching regime.

Reactions: SjVal
Late season choke jobs have been common under this coaching regime.

It’s sacrilege to point out, but it applies to the old regime as well. They’ve been playing Big East baseball since the mid 80s, yet SHU has won only three championships. For a program that prides itself on its history, that is an awful track record.

I understand that the school has to say what they did. But by any measure this was not a very good year for the team. Especially in tight situations.

The hit totals tell you much of what you need to know in the championship.

Despite going 0-2 they outhit Creighton and Xavier 27-14.

Reactions: NYC Pirate
They can spin the numbers if they like. The bottom line is the staff has to reevaluate everything they are doing moving forward. They should reduce the number of players on the roster. Focus recruiting on getting that 1 dominant pitcher with pro potential. They Must have 2 batters that the other team fears. Lastly you must have guys in the bullpen that can close the door. The pitching staff is declining year by year. Their pitching mechanics are awful. You hardly see a clean inning and there is the root of the problem.

Baseball even on a pro level is struggling. The University is spending a decent amount of money to fund the baseball program. The land at SHU is limited. The baseball/soccer field is valuable space. So baseball unlike tennis, volleyball, golf has to produce some better results. In fairness they seem to have quality student athletes that represent the University well. They need to upgrade the talent a bit if they want to truly compete :

They can spin the numbers if they like. The bottom line is the staff has to reevaluate everything they are doing moving forward. They should reduce the number of players on the roster. Focus recruiting on getting that 1 dominant pitcher with pro potential. They Must have 2 batters that the other team fears. Lastly you must have guys in the bullpen that can close the door. The pitching staff is declining year by year. Their pitching mechanics are awful. You hardly see a clean inning and there is the root of the problem.

Baseball even on a pro level is struggling. The University is spending a decent amount of money to fund the baseball program. The land at SHU is limited. The baseball/soccer field is valuable space. So baseball unlike tennis, volleyball, golf has to produce some better results. In fairness they seem to have quality student athletes that represent the University well. They need to upgrade the talent a bit if they want to truly compete :

I think our talent is decent. But we waste it. No outs, lead off double, and coach has the next batter bunting? That sort of coaching is killing us.

I understand that the school has to say what they did. But by any measure this was not a very good year for the team. Especially in tight situations.

The hit totals tell you much of what you need to know in the championship.

Despite going 0-2 they outhit Creighton and Xavier 27-14.
Still, they were one of the top four teams in the league. They need tweaking not a complete rebuild. IMO

Still, they were one of the top four teams in the league. They need tweaking not a complete rebuild. IMO

The talent is declining especially in the pitching department. A few schools in the BigEast don't play baseball. If the SJU coach did not leave to manage the Brooklyn Cyclone's then SHU probably would have been competing with Xavier just to get into the BigEast Tournament. SHU in the past thought about "At Large" NCAA bids. Now it's different. The talent pool is not there in the NorthEast. SJU and Rutgers both struggled this year too. There is no standout player on the Seton Hall team if we are being honest. There is one guy with the ability to be drafted high, but we will have to see. If the University is happy with an under the radar program and that fits into their business model than nothing needs to change.

In the distant past when SHU was really good Maine and the Hall were the two baseball powers in the Northeast.

They were two of the very few schools in the area that used their full allotment of scholarships and took the sport seriously.

In the distant past when SHU was really good Maine and the Hall were the two baseball powers in the Northeast.

They were two of the very few schools in the area that used their full allotment of scholarships and took the sport seriously.
You have to put SJU in there too. They were a legit top 10 team back in the day.

I was wondering why a top 4 finish in hoops is good but it embarrasses us when baseball does it.

That's comparing Apples to Oranges. Basketball recruiting is a high octane business. The BigEast is a true Power conference in basketball with several schools playing in the Final4 or even winning the National Championship. Road games in basketball can be played in front of 17,000 people, a baseball road game may have 200. A few BigEast schools don't have baseball at this point. I don't believe its embarrassing just to make the BE Tournament in baseball as others do, but never winning it is concerning. It's not that tough a league as it once had been.

That's comparing Apples to Oranges. Basketball recruiting is a high octane business. The BigEast is a true Power conference in basketball with several schools playing in the Final4 or even winning the National Championship. Road games in basketball can be played in front of 17,000 people, a baseball road game may have 200. A few BigEast schools don't have baseball at this point. I don't believe its embarrassing just to make the BE Tournament in baseball as others do, but never winning it is concerning. It's not that tough a league as it once had been.

Correct. It’s a one-bid league where it’s unusual for the champion to get a decent seed in the NCAA. You can’t compare any other Big East sport to basketball. Maybe soccer, but that’s it.

I was wondering why a top 4 finish in hoops is good but it embarrasses us when baseball does it.
The conference had 7 teams until UConn joined this year to make 8 teams. Butler, Georgetown and Villanova have been terrible teams. Those 3 have a combined 1-6 record in the conference tournament in the 7 years since realignment (that 1 win came against SHU). That means making the tournament means being better than those terrible teams. This year when a team was added St. John's wasn't good. Making the Big East baseball tournament just means the team wasn't bad, not they it was good.

Last edited:
The conference had 7 teams until UConn joined this year to make 8 teams. Butler, Georgetown and Villanova have been terrible teams. Those 3 have a combined 1-6 record in the conference tournament in the 7 years since realignment (that 1 win came against SHU). That means making the tournament means being better than those terrible teams. This year when a team was added St. John's wasn't good. Making the Big East baseball tournament just means the team wasn't bad, not they it was good.
Sort of agree. Not making it is unacceptable. But there are good teams at the top of the league. The Hall is one, it just swooned at the end of the season. Creighton, X and UConn are solid teams. (Creighton fans are just obnoxious beyond their teams ability.) It is tough to run the table in the BET without a couple of losses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT