ADVERTISEMENT

Politi: Losing Luther

hbkmyr

All World
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2009
Politi did a special report on Luther Wright, updating where he is now, for NJ.com. Its a subscriber article, but here is the link if anyone would like to read.

Losing Luther​

Luther Wright, the 7-foot-2 former basketball star from Elizabeth, was lost to the streets. Then he found a road back to a better life in the most unlikely place.

Hopefully he found his place and his sister is his guardian angel. Nice article!

Great, old school reporting to find Luther. Hope he stays alright.

I had never heard the story of walking off the court with the Jazz to play drums with the pep band.

Last edited:
Such a sad story and a tale of what could have been.

I hope this one sticks for Luther. He's running out of second chances.

Wow, what a sad story. Hopefully he has begun to turn the page on handling his problems.

To be honest, I thought I had read a few years back that he had passed. So happy to read this and see he’s still hanging in there. Hopefully being with his sister is finally what helps him work to stay clean.

praying for you Luther!

I give a lot of credit to PJ. The body transformation from his 1st year playing to his 2nd year ( which I think was 3 years of eligibility he had) was amazing , not to mention his total improvement of his game. Then he went pro , one would think the money and NBA was incentive enough to continue and stay on track.

I give a lot of credit to PJ. The body transformation from his 1st year playing to his 2nd year ( which I think was 3 years of eligibility he had) was amazing , not to mention his total improvement of his game. Then he went pro , one would think the money and NBA was incentive enough to continue and stay on track.

Luther has had issues and the drug use is a manifestation of those issues.

Those issues would have eventually have come to light whether he stayed another year at Seton Hall or whether he had navigated a successful NBA career.

He's not unlike so many people in this country and around the world, he's simply more well-known than most of them.

Luther has had issues and the drug use is a manifestation of those issues.

Those issues would have eventually have come to light whether he stayed another year at Seton Hall or whether he had navigated a successful NBA career.

He's not unlike so many people in this country and around the world, he's simply more well-known than most of them.
You are probably right. But when he decided to go pro I know that PJ was very worried that Lu was not mature enough to handle it all and wanted him to stay another year. But Luthers Mom and agent wanted the money. Impossible to know if the same thing would have happened. I feel bad for Luther in the end and hope he can stay clean and find a way to enjoy his life.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
I thought his agent got an annuity which would have started paying his some money in his 30s, but others got him to cash out early.

I thought his agent got an annuity which would have started paying his some money in his 30s, but others got him to cash out early.
Per article agent got NBA contract revised to $15,000/month for 25 years, but Luther's mom took loans against it, so he only got about $1,000/month. Even that $1,000 has now stopped since now over 25 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomD82
You are probably right. But when he decided to go pro I know that PJ was very worried that Lu was not mature enough to handle it all and wanted him to stay another year. But Luthers Mom and agent wanted the money. Impossible to know if the same thing would have happened. I feel bad for Luther in the end and hope he can stay clean and find a way to enjoy his life.

No doubt he wasn't mature enough to handle things. All of these things add up.

Reactions: Section112
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT