ADVERTISEMENT

Politi on NIL

So RU Is having problems mostly because of the $$$ needed for football but the AD and the RU administration seem to get involved in trying to connect athletes with NIL opportunities. Plus the restrictive NJ law doesn’t go into effect until 2024 and most likely will be changed.

I’m really confused. Other than the information I get here, I have no idea what’s going on at SHU regarding NIL. IMO, the Athletic Department can be doing more but I could be 100% wrong.

Last edited:
So RU Is having problems mostly fo to the $$$ needed for football but the AD and the RU administration seem to get involved in trying to connect athletes with NIL opportunities. Plus the restrictive NJ law d doesn’t go into effect until 2024 snd mist likely will be changed.

I’m really confused. Other than the information I get here, I have no idea what’s going on at SHU regarding NIL. IMO, the Athletic Department can be doing more but I could be 100% wrong.
That is same I got from the article, as well as the bill sponsor saying if Rutgers had issue with restrictive NJ law, they would work to modify it. So I am also very confused, based on what we have heard from SHU people.

It seems the main problem with SHU and Rutgers (and probably countless others) will be raising the extra money from private donors to meet the demands.

To put this into perspective, Butler has a collective with a goal of $1 million this year alone just for basketball. And RU is hoping to get $400K for FB and BB? Like going to war with a pop-gun. The Butler board of he collective also has board members from the university. It's a closed collective right now that's not asking for smaller donations, but it will go that way.

We are in the same boat as Rutgers. Need big time donors to support player compensation. Many of the middle class alumn are strapped paying high taxes in NJ. Can't expect them to give up their disposable income to pay for recruits who are getting a free education and room and board.

We are in the same boat as Rutgers. Need big time donors to support player compensation. Many of the middle class alumn are strapped paying high taxes in NJ. Can't expect them to give up their disposable income to pay for recruits who are getting a free education and room and board.
The money has to come from somewhere and it's going to have to come from different sources and come every year. It's another arms race, but its out in the open now. What that means to me is that alumni, donors, businesses that would have never gotten involved in paying a player and being part of an investigation, can now do it if they should so choose. A school like SHU needs to be creative to raise that kind of money...fund raising on steroids'. What is being associated with the brand worth in this market?

The true issue with NIL and programs like RU, is the gap between the financial health between them and other programs in their conference. Now add NIL into the mix and that is $ that could have been university donations that will now go to the players.
Furthermore it leads to a decision on the person donating. Should you give money which would come off your taxes as a donation, or give to the players under "schedule c advertising " which would lower the tax liability for that person. In other words, fans who own a business would prefer to give to NIL over university donations imo.

So RU Is having problems mostly fo to the $$$ needed for football but the AD and the RU administration seem to get involved in trying to connect athletes with NIL opportunities. Plus the restrictive NJ law d doesn’t go into effect until 2024 snd mist likely will be changed.

Same Seton Hall excuses as usual

I just put two kids through college and I am watching my retirement portfolio tank every day. I'm paying both a federal and state income tax. On top of that, I am one of the fortunate NJ residents who have the honor and privilege of paying the highest property taxes in the Nation. I'm sorry but donating player compensation money that has to be split among all of SHU's sports programs is not a high priority for me at the moment.

I just put two kids through college and I am watching my retirement portfolio tank every day. I'm paying both a federal and state income tax. On top of that, I am one of the fortunate NJ residents who have the honor and privilege of paying the highest property taxes in the Nation. I'm sorry but donating player compensation money that has to be split among all of SHU's sports programs is not a high priority for me at the moment.
Another massive issue right here, I donate on matching day and the rest of my money goes into the market each day it ranks. I have camp/ school and massive car prices to worry about too.

Reactions: TomD82
mqdefault.jpg

That's one reason that I'm getting the hell out! Good bye NJ, hello Del.

Reactions: batts and HallX2
You coulda just asked him about his shine box...

Woah, great article. Very informative.

@HALL85 Rutgers' goal is to raise millions (plural) for the football team alone. The $400K number is the amount raised so far by their collective.

The administration has been completely silent on NIL and I have been giving them a pass because I was under the impression the NJ prohibited their involvement. If the law isn't going into effect for several years - and likely getting amended - its completely inexcusable that the administration is doing nothing on NIL. Every single school in the nation is on top of this and taking proactive measures to be successful in this new environment. I already felt nervous about NIL, but after reading this I feel exponentially worse. Assuming I'm not misunderstanding this article, I've lost a lot of faith in the administration.

@HALL85 Rutgers' goal is to raise millions (plural) for the football team alone. The $400K number is the amount raised so far by their collective.

The administration has been completely silent on NIL and I have been giving them a pass because I was under the impression the NJ prohibited their involvement. If the law isn't going into effect for several years - and likely getting amended - its completely inexcusable that the administration is doing nothing on NIL. Every single school in the nation is on top of this and taking proactive measures to be successful in this new environment. I already felt nervous about NIL, but after reading this I feel exponentially worse. Assuming I'm not misunderstanding this article, I've lost a lot of faith in the administration.

People have been jumping ship left and right over the last few months from a small time operation to begin with. I'm not surprised. But I also don't blame them because I think the NIL stuff is flat out wrong.

Agree the whole state law thing was a faux issue. But we don’t know what we don’t know. If there is a close-knit circle of high-end donors that are meeting and formulating a plan, I doubt I’m getting a call.

And the average fan is never going to know about most of the money that is exchanging hands. The proof is in the pudding. If Sha is able to recruit and retain quality players, then safe to assume there are NIL funds.

Agree the whole state law thing was a faux issue. But we don’t know what we don’t know. If there is a close-knit circle of high-end donors that are meeting and formulating a plan, I doubt I’m getting a call.

And the average fan is never going to know about most of the money that is exchanging hands. The proof is in the pudding. If Sha is able to recruit and retain quality players, then safe to assume there are NIL funds.
That could all be true but in my opinion there is no excuse for the silence and failure to emphasize the importance of this to the fanbase/alumni community. The lack of leadership, communication, structure, planning, etc. is concerning.

We don’t need to raise 10M+ per year like football schools. The small time donors could make a serious impact here. Hypothetically, if we got all our season ticket holders and diehard fans to chip in just $100 each that could keep us competitive.

That could all be true but in my opinion there is no excuse for the silence and failure to emphasize the importance of this to the fanbase/alumni community. The lack of leadership, communication, structure, planning, etc. is concerning.

We don’t need to raise 10M+ per year like football schools. The small time donors could make a serious impact here. Hypothetically, if we got all our season ticket holders and diehard fans to chip in just $100 each that could keep us competitive.
There might be one legitimate excuse from the apparent silence to regular fans (medium to small donors). Is if the ncaa suddenly pivots with their “guardrails” and makes it more restrictive, it makes it easier to dial it back and pivot resources (and get less negative press) from a small number of larger private donors than large high profile collectives with lots of stakeholders involved.

Wishful thinking that they are doing the work behind the scenes, maybe, but it could be a valid excuse why they haven’t made their movements public.

I'm shocked that the RU collective has only raised $400,000 and they have to feed 85 football players and 13 basketball players. I'm fairly confident that SHU's NIL has raised more than half that figure and we only need to feed 13 players.

We have a long way to go, but, RU is in much worse shape.

This guy Jon Newman is an a-hole and his attitude will make it harder to raise money, “We are a fanbase full of BS excuses, and the excuses are mainly the same ones that have lived in infamy for years — they just get repurposed and re-tailored as new things come along,”. It's crazy that a fan base has to pay to financially support athletes, yet they are the cards that have been dealt. Rather than trashing the fan base, Newman has to give fans a reason to support the initiative.

Last edited:

Posted before but Athletic profile of Sha also vaguely suggested law was not yet actually in effect.

Posted before but Athletic profile of Sha also vaguely suggested law was not yet actually in effect.
It is not. But Seton Hall and Rutgers have for the most part chosen to abide by the regulation with the hope that it will be changed in the (near) future.

It is not. But Seton Hall and Rutgers have for the most part chosen to abide by the regulation with the hope that it will be changed in the (near) future.
Looks like one is taking it much further then the other, why be scared of a law that hasn’t gone into effect ? Let’s admit it , the school was and still is underprepared to do anything forward thinking and I know money and donors are also a large issue. Willard knew he was out and he told everyone not to worry and they just went about their day doing next to nothing to push forward.

At least they're on the same page, it would be worse if SHU were abiding by future law and RU wasn't.

Looks like one is taking it much further then the other, why be scared of a law that hasn’t gone into effect ? Let’s admit it , the school was and still is underprepared to do anything forward thinking and I know money and donors are also a large issue. Willard knew he was out and he told everyone not to worry and they just went about their day doing next to nothing to push forward.
I wish I had an answer for you regarding following a plan that is legally not in effect for two more years but I don't.

It's up to every individual to draw their own conclusions.

That said don't think a plan isn't now being formulated behind the scenes.

Reactions: walshtrips
That said don't think a plan isn't now being formulated behind the scenes.
3 years too late but hey that is 7 years earlier then the normal Seton Hall timeline.
Dan you do so much and get so much shit from people at the school , without you they wouldn’t hit any of the 50 state goals the last what has it been 5 years?? I know you have an opinion here but can’t state it so I will just say mine…. This is a shit job by them as usual, they are scared of maybe having something come at them in maybe 2 years???

At least they're on the same page, it would be worse if SHU were abiding by future law and RU wasn't.
I mean Rutgers is doing way more in the public eye then SHU so my assumption is they are doing way more behind the scenes.

Reactions: SOBO1
3 years too late but hey that is 7 years earlier then the normal Seton Hall timeline.
Dan you do so much and get so much shit from people at the school , without you they wouldn’t hit any of the 50 state goals the last what has it been 5 years?? I know you have an opinion here but can’t state it so I will just say mine…. This is a shit job by them as usual, they are scared of maybe having something come at them in maybe 2 years???
Just to set the record straight the school strongly supports me. It was coach Willard that wanted nothing to do with this board and by extension myself.

Dr Nyre, Pat Lyons and Bryan Felt could not be more supportive. It's just our former coach who had issues.

The most powerful and visible person in RU athletics is publicly calling on and encouraging all Ru fans to contribute to NIL. Going as far to say he needs millions a year to compete. Outside of Halldan I haven’t heard from anyone on the seton hall side about NIL.

I’ll reserve judgement until after the beefsteak, but if they go radio silent at the largest booster event of the year that concerns me.

Agree.Need big lead donor as St Peters had.

I'm shocked that the RU collective has only raised $400,000 and they have to feed 85 football players and 13 basketball players. I'm fairly confident that SHU's NIL has raised more than half that figure and we only need to feed 13 players.

We have a long way to go, but, RU is in much worse shape.

This guy Jon Newman is an a-hole and his attitude will make it harder to raise money, “We are a fanbase full of BS excuses, and the excuses are mainly the same ones that have lived in infamy for years — they just get repurposed and re-tailored as new things come along,”. It's crazy that a fan base has to pay to financially support athletes, yet they are the cards that have been dealt. Rather than trashing the fan base, Newman has to give fans a reason to support the initiative.
Agree.No way to raise $$$.

The most powerful and visible person in RU athletics is publicly calling on and encouraging all Ru fans to contribute to NIL. Going as far to say he needs millions a year to compete. Outside of Halldan I haven’t heard from anyone on the seton hall side about NIL.

I’ll reserve judgement until after the beefsteak, but if they go radio silent at the largest booster event of the year that concerns me.
Rutgers is visible and vocal regarding NIL, yet they are behind us in their efforts to reach their goal. "Speak softly and carry a big stick".

SHU doesn't have an endless flow of wealthy donors, however the right people are working in the background and a more public effort may soon become apparent.

Last edited:
Pathetic....just look at the desperation every school is approaching this with millions of dollars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT