ADVERTISEMENT

Porter Moser

thehall07

All World
Jul 29, 2004
This is an interesting offer( most likely he takes it), all will hinge on his ability to bring in a STRONG NY/ NJ staff. Should be a very interesting next few weeks.

Record 141–125 (.530)

This is keno Davis to providence II
I have seen that comparison for sooooo many people mentioned with all of these BE jobs ( including Cluess). I think Keno is much worse than this but I agree its the same direction. I think this search basically sums up what dysfunctional nature at St. Johns right now...very much like during our Gonzo search. You hire people to do the job not undercut and backdoor, I doubt Cragg is there more than another 3 years.

Reactions: Piratz
https://nypost.com/2019/04/15/st-johns-coaching-search-porter-moser-lands-surprise-offer/

St. John’s extends surprise offer to Porter Moser

By Zach Braziller

1129463213.jpg

Porter MoserGetty Images

MORE ON:
ST. JOHN'S RED STORM

St. John's hosts NCAA Cinderella coach and insists there's no rush

Where ever-changing St. John's coaching search stands now

Bobby Hurley out of St. John's hunt, Tim Cluess still in forefront

Biggest star yet set to transfer out of St. John's

St. John’s looks as if it has found the man it wants to lead its basketball program. Now it must wait to see if the feeling is mutual.

Porter Moser, the 50-year-old coach of Loyola-Chicago who reached the Final Four last year, was offered the Queens school’s vacant head-coaching position Monday night, according to several sources.

A week ago, Chris Mullin informed his alma mater he was stepping down, starting a search process that began with Arizona State coach Bobby Hurley as the top choice. After Hurley turned down athletic director Mike Cragg, St. John’s began talks with Iona coach Tim Cluess and Moser. Moser was on campus Monday afternoon and later went to dinner with St. John’s decision-makers.

Cluess’ buyout, believed to in the $2 million to $3 million range, was seen as an impediment by certain university higher-ups, according to sources. Cluess, a Long Island native who played at St. John’s from 1979-81 before transferring to Hofstra, had support from local AAU and high school coaches, while Moser doesn’t have any local ties. Late last week, reports surfaced listing Cluess, who has led Iona to six NCAA Tournaments in nine seasons, as the favorite for the job, though sources said at the time it was premature.

SEE ALSO
St. John’s hosts NCAA Cinderella coach and insists there’s no rush

A Rick Majerus protégé, Moser has coached at three mid-major schools: Arkansas-Little Rock, Illinois State and Loyola-Chicago, compiling a 246-226 record over 15 seasons. He’s reached the NCAA Tournament just once, but he parlayed that into a Final Four berth. A player at Creighton and a native of the Chicago area, Moser has led Loyola-Chicago to 20-win seasons in three of the past five years.

The job at St. John’s will be trying, especially for someone not familiar with the complexities of recruiting in the area. He will need to surround himself with a strong coaching staff. According to sources, he was inquiring about potential hires late Monday night. Moser, it should be noted, was able to land Marques Townes of New Jersey as a transfer three years ago.

The Johnnies last won a tournament game 19 years ago, and the last few weeks have been unkind. St. John’s has just seven scholarship players on its roster for next season. Junior college recruits Cam Mack and Valdir Manuel decommitted amid the coaching change.

Shamorie Ponds and Justin Simon declared for the NBA draft with the intent to sign with an agent and not return to school. LJ Figueroa, arguably the team’s most consistent player, entered the transfer portal — his advisor, Alex Arias, told The Post last week he was still considering returning to St. John’s — and has already heard from the likes of Florida, Florida State, Miami, UConn and Kansas, among others. A source close to Figueroa said the schools recruiting him are pushing for a visit this weekend. The program’s remaining players, meanwhile, were waiting to see who the school hires.

Fans had begun to get anxious as the search went on, with the late signing period beginning Thursday and the live recruiting period nearing as well. Cragg, the first-year athletic director, was walking a fine line between not rushing into a decision but knowing he could only wait so long. It was also his first coaching search. It may be reaching the homestretch now.

This is an interesting offer( most likely he takes it), all will hinge on his ability to bring in a STRONG NY/ NJ staff. Should be a very interesting next few weeks.

Record 141–125 (.530)

I see it differently. While any coach of SJU would need an assistant with strong ties to NY/NJ I don’t think it’s necessary for all three assistants to have their ties locally. Cragg comes from a program that recruits nationally and I see a diverse group of assistants each with ties to a different geographic recruiting footprint, i.e ,Chicago and the Mid-West for example .

I see it differently. While any coach of SJU would need an assistant with strong ties to NY/NJ I don’t think it’s necessary for all three assistants to have their ties locally. Cragg comes from a program that recruits nationally and I see a diverse group of assistants each with ties to a different geographic recruiting footprint, i.e ,Chicago and the Mid-West for example .
Agreed but you need to have your bread and butter be NY NJ ...recruiting nationally is much harder than most people think.

This is the name I was alluding to that wasn't named. Non-inspiring choice but i'm sure there will be at least one maybe two NYC AAU coaches hired. If St. John's wanted to get back to their glory days, Pitino, warts and all was their only choice. I expect more pretend and make believe from the once storied St. John's program which is a shame because when they are at their peak the easily sell out the Garden and when St. John's and Seton Hall are really good it brings college basketball to the forefront in the metropolitan area.

Could you imagine if he passes?

Not a big Cluess fan but I would much rather have him at SJU than Moser.

Maybe in the long run this could be the best thing that could happen for the Storm. Doesn't sound like this guy is 100% committed to the job. If that's the case he's going to get eaten up alive in the metro area.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Porter Moser is a real head scratcher to me. He makes absolutely no sense, has 0 NY ties and has been to the NCAA Tournament a grand total of 1 time in his 15 years coaching (alebit a final 4) I also wonder why he wouldnt parlay his Final 4 run last year into a bigger gig, why wait a year? None of this makes sense

Reactions: TomD82
Lavin/Chile’s and Mullin/Matt A recruits better outside NY/NJ than in our area. Look at all the players they had - good ones - from elsewhere. And who besides Ponds and Harkless were from NYC and turned out really good.

Agreed but you need to have your bread and butter be NY NJ ...recruiting nationally is much harder than most people think.

Lavin/Chile’s and Mullin/Matt A recruits better outside NY/NJ than in our area. Look at all the players they had - good ones - from elsewhere. And who besides Ponds and Harkless were from NYC and turned out really good.
And none of their teams were good

Not to the level of talent, but a bunch of Lavin's teams and this last team were not altogether different than we've been the past few years, and we're pretty happy. My point is that recruiting the NY scene is a bit overrated for them because a good coach can get players anywhere. You just need to develop them, coach them up and have some semblance of cohesion (i.e., less drama, less transfers) which is where those guys failed.

And none of their teams were good

Not to the level of talent, but a bunch of Lavin's teams and this last team were not altogether different than we've been the past few years, and we're pretty happy. My point is that recruiting the NY scene is a bit overrated for them because a good coach can get players anywhere. You just need to develop them, coach them up and have some semblance of cohesion (i.e., less drama, less transfers) which is where those guys failed.

I don't think SJU or Louie ever liked that California connection with Lavin. The scheduling was better with the home and home with Saint Mary's and USF, but they must not have liked how he used those as recruiting trips.

Deangleo Harrison from a talent perspective was not all that different than Powell, but certainly not local.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT