ADVERTISEMENT

Posh Alexander

TRUE SHU FAN

Sophomore
Jun 3, 2001
Multiple people some claiming they have inside sources, saying Posh Alexander is reviewing the possibility of entering the transfer portal and made a visit yesterday.

• Wow
Reactions: shupat08
If he leaves it’ll be the nail in the coffin for St. John’s program. It’ll never make sense why they aren’t a premier program. They have a solid coach who should attract players. There must be things behind the scenes in the athletic department that make the players / recruits feel like it isn’t a big time program.

Reactions: mbraue
It would be horrible for that program and for our league. We want kids like Alexander in the Big East. And it would reaffirm my joke that Louie made some deal with the devil, because they’re had horrible luck since he left. A common NY fandom is the Jets/Mets/St John’s. I know tons of friends who fall into that category. As a Yankee/Giant fan I feel for them.

If he leaves it’ll be the nail in the coffin for St. John’s program. It’ll never make sense why they aren’t a premier program. They have a solid coach who should attract players. There must be things behind the scenes in the athletic department that make the players / recruits feel like it isn’t a big time program.
And I thought they finally got this right with Anderson and the new AD, after years of getting it wrong or having unlucky and just crazy stuff happen (like Lavin getting sick when he had them rolling and set up for big things).

They talked about him on WFAN morning show, as a freshman, during the regular season. How many college hoops players has that been true of over the last decade? Seemed like he could be star in NYC.

The BE needs as many good teams as is possible. SJU in the dregs may make us happy but it’s bad for the long term health of the conference.
SJU may have a good coach and a new AD but it has a culture that led to 5 coaches since 2010. That wasn’t just the AD. It’s the leadership of the school and it’s Board of Trustees and it’s fan base that led to that. Won’t be easily changed.

Does anyone know why all these kids are leaving St John's? They had a nice year, and play a really exciting brand of basketball. I don't get it.
Does it cascade? You have a good year but some aren't happy. A few leave, and others instead of looking at opportunity decide that they wanted to play with those guys and now too decide to explore options. Now, at this point, Posh knows he could be the man at STJ but damn it'll be tough with all those guys gone. If I'm playing with new teammates, maybe I should look to play with "better" new guys.

The BE needs as many good teams as is possible. SJU in the dregs may make us happy but it’s bad for the long term health of the conference.
SJU may have a good coach and a new AD but it has a culture that led to 5 coaches since 2010. That wasn’t just the AD. It’s the leadership of the school and it’s Board of Trustees and it’s fan base that led to that. Won’t be easily changed.
The Big East does not need St.John’s to get better, for the long term health of the conference, it is 2021 not 1984, the Big East has been fine for years without SJU being of any relevance and they will be fine going forward.

Does anyone know why all these kids are leaving St John's? They had a nice year, and play a really exciting brand of basketball. I don't get it.
Does it cascade? You have a good year but some aren't happy. A few leave, and others instead of looking at opportunity decide that they wanted to play with those guys and now too decide to explore options. Now, at this point, Posh knows he could be the man at STJ but damn it'll be tough with all those guys gone. If I'm playing with new teammates, maybe I should look to play with "better" new guys.
From afar I think the guys who left are replaceable though. No stars. One kid who was maybe a starter. Only one or two were curious to me - others made sense. The most important guys from Alexander’s perspective are the ones who are still there/coming in the door. But if he left I wouldn’t get it at all.

The Big East does not need St.John’s to get better, for the long term health of the conference, it is 2021 not 1984, the Big East has been fine for years without SJU being of any relevance and they will be fine going forward.
You’re looking at this from this moment in time only.

I disagree with this take and always have. The league is much better when Georgetown and SJU are having solid seasons. It doesn’t need to be anywhere near the apex of those programs, but even a season like last. Ewing got enormous attention winning the BE tournament. National attention. St John’s gets enormous coverage by the NYC media when they are solid - nothing is comparable. Posh got national attention last year by being the first freshman since Iverson to win defensive POY. As another poster pointed out, and I didn’t realize, but they were talking about him and the team on WFAN morning show. Jerry Recco does Rutgers games and they barely talk about that program whenever I listen - but St John’s they will talk about when they are even a bubble team.

The league doesn’t “need” anyone except Nova. But the better version and best version has Georgetown and SJU in the top half more often than not. People pay attention far more when that’s the case.

I agree. The importance of certain programs being good is overstated. The Big East just needs to have great teams. Makes no difference if it's St. John's, Georgetown and DePaul or Creighton, Providence and Butler.

You aren’t wrong. They’ve probably made, what, only 3 or 4 tourneys during the Lavin/Mullin/Anderson time. League has been fine. But my point is nowhere near what the ceiling can be with Gtown and SJU being better. Not great. Just better more consistently.

No, I’m not. I could make a strong case that SJU has been the second or third worst program in the Big East over the past 10 years and the Big East is just fine.
And I could argue the BE is not as prominent as it was 5 years ago. Predictions are hard. Especially about the future. There will be new TV contracts to be negotiated. SJU has the 2nd or 3rd largest alumni base. Financial health of the conference would only be strengthened with a relevant Johnnies.

If we subtract nova, we are far from fine. The rest of us are good, but not good enough. That is why fox wanted to add uconn. Cause they feel that better protects their investment. Was it a wise choice, who knows. But if another team was to be added, they were the only one to makes sense.

Seton Hall should worry about Seton Hall no one else matter and that includes having more then 3 good programs in the BE. With the way the world works you just need to build your brand not the conferences or other teams. Look at Gonzaga /Loyola / and anyone else that has had sustained success over the last 10 years...screw all the rest as it takes away from SHU.

If we subtract nova, we are far from fine. The rest of us are good, but not good enough. That is why fox wanted to add uconn. Cause they feel that better protects their investment. Was it a wise choice, who knows. But if another team was to be added, they were the only one to makes sense.
Right Nova is the only one the league needs. Uconn was added for that reason.

I’m a traditionalist. I know others don’t care as much. I like us playing meaningful games against Uconn, Nova, Gtown, SJU and Providence. How fun were our games against SJU Mullin’s last year? Packed both times. MSG game on a weekend night with 18,000. It was awesome. I could careless about the Midwest schools.

I’m a traditionalist. I know others don’t care as much. I like us playing meaningful games against Uconn, Nova, Gtown, SJU and Providence. How fun were our games against SJU Mullin’s last year? Packed both times. MSG game on a weekend night with 18,000. It was awesome. I could careless about the Midwest schools.
Just win its all that matters, I would argue that the schools Facebook, Instagram, and youtube( LOL like they would know how to build in that space ) has bigger impact then a 18k filled arena for 3 games a year.

You may be right on the overall economics. Again I’m a traditionalist so that drives my views on this. It’s entirely personal based on my experience growing up as a fan. And I do think there are only a few teams in our league that draw eyeballs and attention from the casual fan. Plus with a decent SJU you get the NYC media machine behind it always. I read the Post and Braziller, Vaccaro and others pump out article after article on SJU when they have a season even like last year. And the Ewing factor gets everyone’s attention because of who he is.

Not if Nova, SHU, UConn, Hoyas, X, Butler, Providence, Creighton, DePaul and the Musketeers are good. This would be the perfect scenario.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Do you think St John’s cares about Seton Hall for the good of the conference? Please!

This past year was a down year for the league yet it was still sixth best nationally. People act like the coverage a good St John’s gets compares with the Yankees.... come on. And they talked about them on the WFAN morning show? So what!

Yeah, I was at those SJU MSG games when Mullin was coach. I was taking one of my sons who lives in NYC to the game a few years ago. My wife found out I hadnt bought tickets yet and I told her dont worry, there will be 10K tickets available on game day. I show up, and they say they had 2 tickets for some crazy high price. So I had to scalp them. And the next year, Myles' Sr year, it was packed again. Terrific feeling being in a packed MSG. I remember taking the train into NYC when I was in school, and you could count the crowd by hand...

It was a bad look for Gtown and the Big East when Wahab transferred because he wanted more publicity, it will be an equally bad look for STJ and the Big East if Posh transfers. Losing star players from up and coming programs makes the Big East look inferior. I personally hope GTown, STJ and UCONN are all strong programs because it helps the broader conference.

Reactions: Halldan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT