ADVERTISEMENT

Providence

Save Continental

All American
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
Looks to be adisappointing end to a fine season. Henton picked a great time for a career worst and Dunn wasnt good either. Just couldnt get anything going. And ed cooley gets t'd up for flinging his chair, lol

I love cooley. But he got severly outcoached tonight. Henton didnt have it tonight and no adjustments were made...

This is the worst refs I've seem in an NCAA game so far. From the flagrant 1 to teeing Cooley up. Terrible job by the refs. Henton single handedly list the game by forcing everything. Dayton with two home games and was the last team in. Providence never found a way to get to the line. And Dunn and Henton just tried to do too much. Have to give Dayton credit though. They play tough like their coach.

Section112. Agreed with every point in your post, but the coach is not tough but a little wimp Tallked to him at an AAU event at IMG and he was a clown with an attitude. I have talked to many college coaches and he is #1 or #2 on the most unfriendly list, most coaches are good guys.

Great job by Dayton. That was a clinic on how to beat this Prividence team. Gotta give them props. They deserved the win.

Originally posted by JIMSOULS:

Cooley could be a hot property when the coaching carousel gets into full swing.
I doubt he leaves Providence, that's his home town.

Archie Miller was phenomenal tonight. Scouted Providence perfectly by keeping Dunn from penetrating and forcing Henton into contested jumpers. Best execution of a game plan I've seen by a PC opponent all year. Cooley and his team didn't seem themselves tonight, though. Came out flat and never really got into the game. Cooley wasn't all that fired up like usual until he got T'd up.

Karma is a bitch! I sat behind the PC bench on senior night at the Rock. At one point during the SHU big lead early on when he called a TO and the chairs were being setup for the starters, he ran after a ref who was across the court from his bench and stood screaming at him from about 5 feet, not in his face, but very close. Waving his hands and was very animated. I was shocked this didn't get him a T. He stormed into his huddle and the next thing his jacket came flying out of the huddle onto the court, about 10" from his huddle.

If refs are going to let a coach do that without consequence, then last night, he thought he could get away with it too. I'm all for motivating your team, but me, I think Cooley is a hot tempered out of control coach.

Come On. No excuse for ever calling that T. As bad a call as you will see. PC was bad all night. Credit the tough play of Dayton. Tough one for PC/BE.

This post was edited on 3/21 8:10 AM by Seton75

After the game the ref's and the supervisor of officials stated a a violation of a certain rule that made the T. The correct call, said that Cooley threw the chair out of the huddle. I was watching on TV and he was trying to get his team fired up by smacking down on the chair which caused the chair to fold up and hit the floor. The chair was not thrown in any way and to say it was is total BS and a blatant lie!! WTF

This post was edited on 3/21 9:04 AM by Flnj86

Originally posted by shu09:
Originally posted by JIMSOULS:

Cooley could be a hot property when the coaching carousel gets into full swing.
I doubt he leaves Providence, that's his home town.

Archie Miller was phenomenal tonight. Scouted Providence perfectly by keeping Dunn from penetrating and forcing Henton into contested jumpers. Best execution of a game plan I've seen by a PC opponent all year. Cooley and his team didn't seem themselves tonight, though. Came out flat and never really got into the game. Cooley wasn't all that fired up like usual until he got T'd up.
How good is Archie Miller as a coach? I would think he is the best up and coming coach there is and it is not even close. He will get an elite job. Will Indiana get rid of Crean and bring in Miller? Too bad we can't find a coach of this caliber.

Game ended at 1:10 am. Could barely make last call after the game. Ridiculous. Providence fans must have needed more than a couple after last night. I didn't watch, but Pete Thamel's SI story mocks the so-called neutral court aspect of the proximity of Columbus to Dayton. I've been to Columbus and the highlight was visiting the first Wendy's. People are so nice and wholesome there. A colleague said it was so clean, she could eat Maple Walnut ice cream off the ladies' toilet seat at that Wendy's.

I was hoping they'd play Belmot because Dayton was going to be a tough game for them in Ohio for all the reasons we saw last night.

Was hoping PC could make a little run this. A disappointing end to another great season.

I don't think Cooley is going anywhere. Maybe a pay raise at Providence.

They have 2 studs & not much else. Always thought they were a bit overrated but they got a bad draw

Miller can really coach and get a lot out his team. That is very clear.

I was texting a Providence fan and we kept saying Providence is not shooting well they need to find a way to get to the line. And it never happened. Cooley even said at halftime we need to play through contact.

Don't think Cooley is going anywhere. He seems to be the perfect fit at Providence but they really layed an egg last night after playing well down the stretch in the season. Thought they got a very bad call and whistle against Nova in the BE Tourney and could have won that game. But last night their two studs got stopped and the other guys did not step up except for Lindsey who had a very good game. Credit Miller and Dayton.

Originally posted by mjs428:
They have 2 studs & not much else. Always thought they were a bit overrated but they got a bad draw
But those 2 studs were top-notch. I'm really surprised they had it so rough last night. The quick fouls on Dunn early were tough.

Losing Henton is obviously a huge gap for them to fill moving forward. Desrosiers is also done; he was solid for them. Dunn is an NBA player. Does he go? If you're going to be a perennial NCAA program - Providence is on their way to that now - you reload. Just like they did this year after Bryce Cotton and Kadeem Batts graduated following last year's NCAA uun.

That Bentil kid has developed and was playing very well down the stretch and he's back. Tyler Harris is graduating, but has one year of eligibility left. He's solid. Cooley's picked up some talented bigs on the recruiting trail, too.

Originally posted by mjs428:
Their not much else compares very favorably against the SHU roster.

I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but Henton originally committed to Dayton,and asked for and was given his release Brian gregory left Dayton for Georgia Tech. Hard to believe a team with essentially six scholarship players, and no one over 6'6", playing its fifth game in eight days could play as well as they did. Credit to the players and staff.

If I remember correctly, Desrosiers pretty much had his way with us. Thought he was a sophomore for some reason, but apparently he's a senior. Will be nice to not have to deal with that front court anymore.
This post was edited on 3/21 6:28 PM by shufranchise

They have Rodney Bullock set to join Bentil and Chukwu on the interior next year, along with 6-8, 245-pound recruit Alex Owens. So they actually might play bigger. it will be interesting to see how Chukwu develops. Bentil looks like he's going to be a future stud. Lindsey looks capable of stepping in at small forward.

Jim,

Nobody should be a hotter prospect than Archie Miller. That was Dayton's 5th game in 8 days. he can get a better job than NC State even if he is the favorite son. I mean when you can coach like him why settle for the 3rd wheel in the State of NC?

Originally posted by TomD82:
Jim,

Nobody should be a hotter prospect than Archie Miller. That was Dayton's 5th game in 8 days. he can get a better job than NC State even if he is the favorite son. I mean when you can coach like him why settle for the 3rd wheel in the State of NC?
Tom, I agree. It'll be interesting to see what happens at Texas should Barnes get canned. They can definitely reel in a top-notch coach like Gregg Marshall or perhaps Archie. Either could do very well down there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT