ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Pat Chambers resigns effective immediately

Are there any big men on the PSU team that would be interested in transferring to SHU?

Reactions: mbraue
It’s been awhile but Bruce Parkhill was fired as PSU MBB Coach in 95 after he got caught with a cheerleader on her knees under his desk.

So what is the Valdir Manuel story? I mean, it isnt like he is going to transfer back here.....or maybe he will......guess we better not say what is wrong with him.

I think he is 2020 and we have no ships open for 2020 so it won't be us for this year

But if he moves on this Spring, its going to be transfer bonanza so maybe he will wait till then...where we have 2 openings in 2021 at the moment.

So what is the Valdir Manuel story? I mean, it isnt like he is going to transfer back here.....or maybe he will......guess we better not say what is wrong with him.
Back?? He was never here and not worth your fingers to type about it l.

It’s been awhile but Bruce Parkhill was fired as PSU MBB Coach in 95 after he got caught with a cheerleader on her knees under his desk.
Never heard about that before. This is fact or rumor? I googled it but found nothing.

PSU has a kid committed from Camden named Taquan Woodley. Just my opinion but I think he will be the better college player between him and EHE.

How much does PSU pay their Head Basketball coach? I’m assuming it’s not on par with most Big East schools.

I'm definitely not trying to break your balls here but that is a serious charge. Unless that player on the team was a witness to the act, the claim is hearsay.
He did resign early sept. I dont know the context around everything but he could have resigned earlier in the summer for the same reasons given

I'm definitely not trying to break your balls here but that is a serious charge. Unless that player on the team was a witness to the act, the claim is hearsay.
It certainly didn’t rise to the level of a news story but that has more to deal with the way PSU kept a story quiet. Within the athletic department people knew what happened. The guy I know actually speaks highly of Parkhill as a coach but unfortunately the incident cost him his job.

Dribble Handoff: Who should Penn State basketball hire to replace Pat Chambers?
After a roller-coaster year for Penn State hoops, where should the Nittany Lions go from here?

By David Cobb

Just a little over eight months ago, Penn State basketball cracked the top 10 for the first time since 1996. The Nittany Lions were 20-5 and jockeying for a top spot in the Big Ten standings while ninth-year coach Pat Chambers received adulation for finally breaking through in a tough job.

It's been all downhill since for Penn State as the Nittany Lions lost five of their final six games, fell out of the AP Top 25 and were robbed of the opportunity to play in their first NCAA Tournament since 2011. Chambers was accused of racial insensitivity by a former player a few months later and on Wednesday he resigned.

Jim Ferry, who spent the past three seasons as an assistant for Chambers, will take over as the interim coach for the 2020-21 season. But the Nittany Lions will be looking for a new head coach in the months to come. The good news is that they should have plenty of candidates to pick from. There was just one power conference opening following the 2019-20 season (Wake Forest), and Penn State will be first in line to get its pick on this go-around of the coaching carousel.

Itching for more college hoops analysis? Listen below and subscribe to the Eye on College Basketball podcast where we take you beyond the hardwood with insider information and instant reactions.

For this week's edition of the dribble handoff, our experts weigh in on who Penn State should hire as its next basketball coach.

John Becker, Vermont
The Penn State job is a hard job — arguably one of the most difficult jobs in any Power Five conference. The school has only been to four NCAA Tournaments since 1965, only two since 1996. And when you combine that fact with the fact that Pat Chambers was reportedly making just $900,000, it's reasonable to assume the candidate pool will be limited to assistants and mid-major coaches.

So where should Penn State look?

In my opinion, the goal should be to hire somebody who has already been a consistent winner at whatever level because, at a place like Penn State, you're never going to have better players than most of the other programs in the Big Ten, which is why you better have somebody who can really, really coach. It's an approach currently working at Rutgers, where Steve Pikiell was hired away from Stony Brook after finishing first or second in the America East four straight seasons. Like Penn State, Rutgers is a difficult job. But Pikiell, a proven winner and respected teacher, had the Scarlet Knights positioned to make the NCAA Tournament last season before the event was canceled, and he'll enter this season with a team ranked 21st in the CBS Sports Top 25 And 1. So, if you're Penn State, why not focus on the guy who has been running the America East since the moment Pikiell left — namely John Becker? At Vermont, Becker has gone 109-28 over the past four seasons, a record that includes a 59-5 league mark. He's secured four straight America East regular-season titles resulting in four straight America East Coach of the Year awards. So Penn State could do a lot worse than to look to the same conference where Rutgers found somebody capable of winning at a hard job in a tough league in an attempt to replicate the Scarlet Knights' recent success. -- Gary Parrish

Jeff Boals, Ohio
A rising star in the coaching profession, Jeff Boals has ample experience as an assistant and a burgeoning head coaching resume to buoy his candidacy here at a place like Penn State. Boals is entering his second season as the Ohio coach, where he's off to a nice start. But he really showed his chops at his last stop, where he took the reins of Stony Brook from Steve Pikiell and had the Seawolves winning 24 games by his tenure's end. Boals also has an impressive pedigree as an assistant, most notably at Ohio State, where from 2009-2016 he served on Thad Matta's staff and helped recruit the likes of D'Angelo Russell and Jared Sullinger. He doesn't quite have the credentials to make a significant jump to a top-tier gig -- at least not yet -- but he's a winner at the mid-major level who may give serious consideration to a job like Penn State that has power conference standing and an opportunity to prove he belongs at the highest level in coaching. -- Kyle Boone

David Cox, Rhode Island
David Cox is 39-24 in two years as Rhode Island's coach after stints working under Jamie Dixon at Pittsburgh, John Thompson III at Georgetown and Dan Hurley at Rhode Island. He also worked under Mike Rice at Rutgers, which means the Nittany Lions would need to do a thorough bit of homework before going this route. But if everything checks out, Cox has the right combination of power conference experience, head coaching experience and the proper geographic background to succeed at Penn State.

What Cox does with Rhode Island this season will be particularly interesting to watch after the Rams lost a few key players to transfer. That could be cause for concern with a coaching candidate. But Cox has done a great job of bringing transfers in to replace those who have left. If he can blend them together with star guard Fatts Russell and keep Rhode Island on a winning trajectory this season, Cox could be a great option for Penn State. -- David Cobb

Reactions: NittanyPirate
You guys wonder how PSU was able to keep Sandusky under wraps......their men's head coach was getting cheerleaders in his office and that didnt see the light of day. What a vacuum that school had....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT