ADVERTISEMENT

Queston on Willard

A

anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0

He cannot coach a winning team (aside from Whitehead) and he cannot recruit. 7 years? Cmon this loss tonight solidifies us for the bottom half of the league. There is no great run coming in the second half of league play from this team because we dont have the horses (Where they at Kevin). This guy is a loser, like Coach Masiello at Manhattan, two bums from the Pitino tree. How many more years of mediocrity can we put up with? Give the program a shot in the arm and get someone in who knows what the hell they are doing. The delgado carrington rodriguez class is being wasted. Once they leave the cupboard is bare.

Frustrated fan.

He cannot coach a winning team (aside from Whitehead) and he cannot recruit. 7 years? Cmon this loss tonight solidifies us for the bottom half of the league. There is no great run coming in the second half of league play from this team because we dont have the horses (Where they at Kevin). This guy is a loser, like Coach Masiello at Manhattan, two bums from the Pitino tree. How many more years of mediocrity can we put up with? Give the program a shot in the arm and get someone in who knows what the hell they are doing. The delgado carrington rodriguez class is being wasted. Once they leave the cupboard is bare.

Frustrated fan.
He mismanaged the bench, starters were gassed and his offense is awful

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
As much as we have had a hard time with Butler we have been pretty good against Xavier. So, win the next two. Thats impossible? At 5-5 they would be right back into this thing

Reactions: its haLL baLL
The schedule set up to win 4 in a row, if they can upset Xavier. At this point I wouldn't give them more than 2-2 in next 4.

Frustrated fan.

Cool. Here's the deal:

>7 years?

Yep. The only people who think he's a good coach are on this board, so expect a lot of shit. Expect to hear "CoY last year" about 30 times, and not much about his terrible conference record.

>Where they at Kevin?

He'll get a few. He got Powell. He has Cale coming. The rest of the time he'll get transfers and projects.

>How many more years of mediocrity can we put up with?

Hard to say. Willard basically can't be fired. Somewhere between 3 and 7 years based on his friend being AD. He could get another secret decade long extension if he gets us back next year. I assume he'd have to do better than one and done, but probably not since the bar is so low.

>Give the program a shot in the arm and get someone in who knows what the hell they are doing.

Won't happen. Willard is cozy comfy making 1.5 with a boss that he basically got hired. It would take a big loss streak over multiple years (worse than his first five), to happen.

Tough loss considering if we played a somewhat decent 1st half, we'd have been in good shape. Of course that's a recurring theme, but it was against the 11th team in the country.

The L @ Prov could be back breaker, but we have 10 conference games and the BE tournament left. No idea what to expect based on what we've seen this season, but too early to throw in the towel.

I thought Carrington had a serious hand or finger injury. He didn't, so that's a positive.

Agree that Powell needs to see more minutes as other have posted. If the mix of him and KC in the back court doesn't end up working out, so be it.

How did Creighton look tonight with that Coach McD who everyone on this board thinks is the best thing since sliced bread? They lost to GTown by 20 pts after losing at home to Marquette.

How did Creighton look tonight with that Coach McD who everyone on this board thinks is the best thing since sliced bread? They lost to GTown by 20 pts after losing at home to Marquette.

They lost a great pg, if we lost Whitehead last season we would have finished in bottom 3 of league yet again.

Only at The Hall can you have a job for life finishing well below the conpetition.

I'm not giving up on the season yet. We have the best big in the conference and two other juniors who can really play. We can win a few games against the top half of the league and dominate the lower half. Less margin for error, I get it, but all is not lost.

As far as our Coach, he isn't going anywhere. He won a Big East title for the first time in how long? Cale is on the way and if we don't lose Angel to the pros (and that is a huge IF in my view) we should be really good next year (not counting on Duval, but let me be surprised). And from what Dan says 2018 looks like it might be a huge recruiting coup.

I wasn't happy with the first 5 years of the Willard era by any stretch. Our program wasn't in good shape, but it was in better shape than other rebuilds (Rutgers now, SJU before Lavin took over and took them to 2 dances and 3 20 wins seasons, and SJU when Mullin took over which was/is the biggest rebuild I've seen in recent times). I thought Coach should have done more early on. But we won the BE tourney last year and I think we still have a solid shot at dancing this season.

They lost a great pg, if we lost Whitehead last season we would have finished in bottom 3 of league yet again.

Only at The Hall can you have a job for life finishing well below the conpetition.

Even if you are a great coach you can't win at this level without a pg. seton hall and creighton are learning this the hard way.

Uh, he's still adjusting to losing his best player. Are you FG serious? If The Hall had McDermott and not KW we would be loving life...

Reactions: mbraue and shu09
He is incapable of preparing his team. I fear that just like The eponymous movie, what if last year was as good as it gets.
KW is the master of preparation unless there are 3 games in a row on the road. Oh wait, this was a home game.

For someone who met Jerry Lucas, this is a clueless post. Unfortunately, not the first and certainly not the last.

Vegas Many people did not know for sure that Isaiah was going to the NBA until the last minute. If Isaiah came back to Seton Hall for his junior year, then we would be at the top of the Big East right now. We would be very tough to beat with the way Angel is playing this year. Desi has been playing very well this year, can you imagine if the defense was not able to key on him or Khadeen. (Creighton is missing Watson who is a heck of a player. We are missing Isaiah right now who is an NBA player. Anyone who does not see this is clueless!)

Last edited:
SPK Many people did not know for sure that Isaiah was going to the NBA until the last minute. If Isaiah came back to Seton Hall for his junior year, then we would be at the top of the Big East right now. We would be very tough to beat with the way Angel is playing this year. Desi has been playing very well this year, can you imagine if the defense was not able to key on him or Khadeen. (Creighton is missing Watson who is a heck of a player. We are missing Isaiah right now who is an NBA player. Anyone who does not see this is clueless!)

Why is that directed at me???

Reactions: Pirate6711
He is incapable of preparing his team. I fear that just like The eponymous movie, what if last year was as good as it gets.

He had the deer in the headlights look again tonight when he came out before the game and it continued through the first few minutes. Knew instantly it was a bad sign for us tonight.

That's right..... All those open shots at the end, Desi losing it ---again---at end of second half, Angel missing seven free throws, Carrington continuing to throw up bricks, Sanogo and Nzei being offensively challenged...

That's all Willard's fault.

I'm not giving up on the season yet. We have the best big in the conference and two other juniors who can really play. We can win a few games against the top half of the league and dominate the lower half. Less margin for error, I get it, but all is not lost.

As far as our Coach, he isn't going anywhere. He won a Big East title for the first time in how long? Cale is on the way and if we don't lose Angel to the pros (and that is a huge IF in my view) we should be really good next year (not counting on Duval, but let me be surprised). And from what Dan says 2018 looks like it might be a huge recruiting coup.

I wasn't happy with the first 5 years of the Willard era by any stretch. Our program wasn't in good shape, but it was in better shape than other rebuilds (Rutgers now, SJU before Lavin took over and took them to 2 dances and 3 20 wins seasons, and SJU when Mullin took over which was/is the biggest rebuild I've seen in recent times). I thought Coach should have done more early on. But we won the BE tourney last year and I think we still have a solid shot at dancing this season.

1. I completely agree with the first few sentences. AD, DR, and KC are studs. Powell is going to be a stud. Ish and Nzei are very serviceable. Even Jones has had some decent moments. As for, "We should be able to win some against of the top of the league", I also agree. So after years and years of under-performance, perhaps its time to start asking why we rarely do steal wins from the top of the league.

2. Every year (a year out), we hear about Willard being on the edge of a huge recruiting class. It's happened once, and everyone knows that it got a huge assist from some opening assistant positions. He's had plenty of time to get in good with high quality big prospects (with playing time to offer), and he's had plenty of time to peddle the wide open PG spot to 2017 recruits.

3. Our rebuild has not been good compared to anyone other than Rutgers and Depaul. SJU, Prov and us hired coaches right around the same time. Lavin has left, but he achieved quite a bit there and also had that big medical issue that I assume at least partially was a reason for leaving. This year and next year is pretty much Willard's proving ground in what has been a very long rebuild. What I see from his recruiting and coaching has not inspired confidence.

Can I post the gif?

If it's the clapping one, PLEASE YES

Reactions: deheremike
I just saw this nugget on the shuhoops.com write up of the game last night...

“The tough part of playing Sunday-Wednesday, you don’t get that rest so we’re looking forward of having a nice day of rest tomorrow and then get in the weight room,” said Willard, looking forward to a road game at Xavier.

Can he stop with the constant whining about the schedule? The 3 road games in a row is one thing, but now complaining about playing Sunday and Wednesday after having had 6 days off prior to those 2 games... Come on KW, I thought you were above that cr@p but apparently I am wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT