ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class Rankings

SHUsez

Sophomore
Feb 15, 2015
Branchburg, NJ
Just curious where our recruiting class ranks after the additions of Gill and Walker. And what the full Big East standings are, I know Georgetown and SJU have been relatively silent right? That can't be good for their class ranking

6th in BE. IMO, should be 5th.

Gill is not even on most services. And Walker is only considered a "body" since he was a 2018 recruit, according to the services, he doesn't add any other value.

Even though the services only give us 1 recruit that is a 4* in Cale... I still hold firm that have 3 recruits that are 4* commits. Cale, Walker and Mamu.

Reactions: Joe_T and Halldan1
Seeing your recruiting class given a quality rating is more for the fans then anything else but what counts is the quality of the players you recruit and that they address a team's needs. Forget the class rankings we brought in three high quality recruits in Cale, Sandro and Walker who will all contribute this year and give us a solid base for future teams to be built upon.

Seeing your recruiting class given a quality rating is more for the fans then anything else but what counts is the quality of the players you recruit and that they address a team's needs. Forget the class rankings we brought in three high quality recruits in Cale, Sandro and Walker who will all contribute this year and give us a solid base for future teams to be built upon.

Exactly!

6th in BE. IMO, should be 5th.

Gill is not even on most services. And Walker is only considered a "body" since he was a 2018 recruit, according to the services, he doesn't add any other value.

Even though the services only give us 1 recruit that is a 4* in Cale... I still hold firm that have 3 recruits that are 4* commits. Cale, Walker and Mamu.

It looks like Rivals has Walker rated as a four star along with Cale for 2017. I don't put a lot of substance into the number of stars.I like what I read about him.

I like what I read too, I was just curious where we were considered. I'm very excited about this upcoming season. I thought it would be a fun conversation starter on a topic I didn't know much about.

How the mighty have fallen. Syracuse and UConn hurting with one coach gone and the other on his last leg.

Leaving the Big East didn't do these former powerhouses any favors.

How the mighty have fallen. Syracuse and UConn hurting with one coach gone and the other on his last leg.

Leaving the Big East didn't do these former powerhouses any favors.

The grass is always greener...

We really have 3 (4 star) recruits.
I would say we have 2 and one that is close to being 4 stars. Cale has been in the top 75 for over a year and got moved down because he did not go to a private school this year. Sandro came to the US well after many of the lists were put together, and even then, 247's own list (not the composite) has him as a 4 star. Walker is great and his size is one of the only question marks. I think it was Zagoria that said he'd be a no doubt top 100 recruit if he prepped for a year.

I would say we have 2 and one that is close to being 4 stars. Cale has been in the top 75 for over a year and got moved down because he did not go to a private school this year. Sandro came to the US well after many of the lists were put together, and even then, 247's own list (not the composite) has him as a 4 star. Walker is great and his size is one of the only question marks. I think it was Zagoria that said he'd be a no doubt top 100 recruit if he prepped for a year.

Walker is ranked as a 4* top 100 player in 2018 by Rivals. If he prepped he'd def be a 4* top 100 recruit.

This stuff is all well and good but doesn't come close to capturing the talent teams have coming in because of the failure to account for transfers, JUCOs and redshirts. Most of the best "first year" conference performers last season were the kids who sat out rather than those coming from HS. Foster, Patton, Pryor, Lovett, Ahmed, Rowsey, Holt, Paschall, Donte, Reinhardt, Owens. Those kids had a much greater impact than any of the HS kids in the 2016 class, save for Ponds, Howard and Baldwin.

Walker is ranked as a 4* top 100 player in 2018 by Rivals. If he prepped he'd def be a 4* top 100 recruit.

Reactions: Joe_T
Of course he was. And, if you are a regular reader on this board, you'll recall I was among his biggest defenders when he had some bad games. He was very solid as a freshman and will get better each year.

My point is that most of the kids coming into the Big East nowadays are, at best, solid performers as freshman with plenty of ups-and-downs (conference gets few of the immediate impact studs). Sit-and-play transfers with experience, grad transfers, redshirts or JUCOs tend to be the ones who have the biggest impact year 1. So, when Cale, Sandro etc aren't lighting it up every game this coming season, no one should throw them under the bus or be surprised. Our seniors, plus an improved Myles, are going to make (or break) this season. The freshman to be will play their bigger roles down the road.

I think the Spellman's, Kanter's, Simon's, Clark's, Joseph's and guys I'm forgetting will have the most impact.

Soooo Powell wasn't a good player for us?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT