ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering Rod Gilbert

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
My favorite player as a child.

The first person to greet Ron Duguay and show him New York when he joined the Rangers in 1977 was Rod Gilbert.

This was Duguay’s rookie NHL campaign and turned out to be the last of Gilbert’s 18 seasons in New York, but that didn’t stop the future Hall of Famer and face of the franchise from welcoming the team’s first-round draft pick to the team.

Duguay, who now co-hosts The Post’s Rangers podcast “Up in the Blue Seats,” remembered his former teammate and longtime friend Sunday night after the Rangers announced news of Gilbert’s passing at 80 earlier in the evening.

“The first time I walked into Madison Square Garden to sign my contract, he was the first man to meet me,” Duguay recalled in a phone interview. “And he took me out that night, too, kind of a celebration, and that was the beginning of a long relationship.

rod-gilbert-21.jpg

Rod Gilbert goes for the puck during an NHL game against the Montreal Canadiens circa 1974.Getty Images

“He was such a likable person that he left an immediate impression on you. So yes, he was my introduction to the New York Rangers. And that stayed with me through all my time as a player and my post-playing career.”

After Duguay retired from the NHL in 1989, he and Gilbert worked together as team ambassadors and in various charitable endeavors as part of the Garden of Dreams Foundation.

“There was no one better at representing the Garden, the franchise, the brand, and representing all of us [alumni]. Everyone turned to Rod, always,” Duguay said. “I saw firsthand how much he appreciated the fans. He gave so much of himself. Nothing was ever a bother to him.

rangersgilbert.1.jpg

Rod Gilbert in 1974 with a hockey stick marked “300,” the total number of goals he had scored in his career.AP

“Every single game he was there, he was there because he enjoyed to be there. He enjoyed being him and having played for the New York Rangers. I would see what he meant to the fans, people meeting him for the first time. He was such a joy. Always laughing. Always a smile on his face. And the stories he’d tell.”

Earlier Sunday evening, Duguay posted a video of a goal Brian Leetch scored in Game 7 of the 1994 Stanley Cup finals against Vancouver. The camera cut to the seats behind the penalty box and showed Gilbert giving Duguay a high-five.

“I never even knew this footage existed until today,” Duguay said. “I had the pleasure of being with Rod Gilbert when the Rangers finally won the Cup. He had his chances in his career, but it obviously had been so long [since 1940], and we celebrated together. I got to experience that with him.

“The Cup really meant a lot to him, because he was such a part of the fabric of the organization for so long. To be with him when the Rangers finally won was an amazing experience.”

The two continued to work together through the ensuing years, and Duguay said he “would drop everything to do anything for that man” whenever asked to appear at a team event, especially one run by Gilbert.

“That title, Mr. Ranger, he took it seriously,” Duguay said. “You would see him in suite visits and walking in the aisles, he’d stop for everyone who wanted a picture or an autograph. He absolutely loved it, and the fans adored him. And he never got tired of any of it. That’s just who he was.”

Bummer that he passed. RIP Rod.

My brother and I became Ranger fans in the early 70s because there was nothing to watch on Sunday nights other than religious shows. Fortunately, we were just hooked up to cable TV which televised a Ranger game almost every Sunday night. We had HBO but it usually showed the same movie for several weeks at a time.

Reactions: NYC Pirate
Yes very classy. One of my friends is a Ranger season ticket holder and Rod over the years would show up to events they held for Season ticket holders and speak to fans and reminisce etc. Ridiculous hockey player and terrific person. He will surely be missed by Ranger and hockey fans and all the friends he made over the years. Hockey lost a great one.

Growing up in Brooklyn at that time we played a lot of roller hockey on the streets and in the schoolyards. We absolutely loved the Rangers. My older brother was like a clone of Gilbert. He wore #7 and even had his hair style. Lol. In later life his law firm represented Rod and his wife. He said he was a great guy with the French Canadien accent. He got a kick out of him saying he was still in touch with “Stemmer”Pete Stemkowski. This is like one of the alltime alltime Yankee greats passing.

As an aside it was amazing how Ch9 could get those commercials in a 30 second spot. Usually Schaffer Beer or Eastern Airlines”The Wings of Man” We had to listen to home games on radio with Marv Albert, usually Wed and Sunday nights. Knicks home games Tuesday and Saturday nights. What a magical time. Gilbert is from a by gone era for sure. Great life Mr. Gilbert.

I'm not a big hockey fan and my team of choice is the Islanders in any event.

That said, few if any are more identified with NY hockey than Rod Gilbert. This is a tremendous loss to the game as he was a wonderful ambassador.

Rest in peace.

Reactions: Section112
Growing up in Brooklyn at that time we played a lot of roller hockey on the streets and in the schoolyards. We absolutely loved the Rangers. My older brother was like a clone of Gilbert. He wore #7 and even had his hair style. Lol. In later life his law firm represented Rod and his wife. He said he was a great guy with the French Canadien accent. He got a kick out of him saying he was still in touch with “Stemmer”Pete Stemkowski. This is like one of the alltime alltime Yankee greats passing.
As an aside it was amazing how Ch9 could get those commercials in a 30 second spot. Usually Schaffer Beer or Eastern Airlines ”The Wings of Man” We had to listen to home games on radio with Marv Albert, usually Wed and Sunday nights. Knicks home games Tuesday and Saturday nights. What a magical time. Gilbert is from a bygone era for sure. Great life Mr. Gilbert.

Great memory NYC on those commercials- I also remember Getty gas and bank commercials- Manufacturers Hanover and you have a friend at Chase Manhattan.

I also remember once a month on Mondays at the Garden the WWWF. Either Bruno or Pedro defending the belt.

RIP #7- A true Ranger legend. I was not a Ranger fan (Flyers then- Devils now) but spent many a night with by dad and later with friends sitting in 420, blue seats behind the goal, having to stand up when the puck was in "our" zone, and having to try to see through all of the cigar smoke.

Great memory NYC on those commercials- I also remember Getty gas and bank commercials- Manufacturers Hanover and you have a friend at Chase Manhattan.

I also remember once a month on Mondays at the Garden the WWWF. Either Bruno or Pedro defending the belt.

RIP #7- A true Ranger legend. I was not a Ranger fan (Flyers then- Devils now) but spent many a night with by dad and later with friends sitting in 420, blue seats behind the goal, having to stand up when the puck was in "our" zone, and having to try to see through all of the cigar smoke.

What a tremendous time in NY area sports. Micky Mantle had concluded his playing days a few years prior. So this was the roughest time for the Yankees. Joe Namath was the biggest star in town. "Clyde" Frazier and Willis Reed were the marquee guys for the Knicks. Then they added Earl "The Pearl" Monroe. Tom Seaver was so good for the Mets during these years. The Giants had Tarkenton and Ron Johnson still playing at Old Yankee Stadium. People forget we also had the Nets in the ABA. Louie Carnesecca was the coach and Rick Barry led the way. They played at the Island Garden before moving into the new Nassau Coliseum I believe in 1972. This was right before Julius Erving "Dr. J" entered the picture. He was beyond spectacular.

The Rangers had Gilbert, Jean Ratelle, Brad Park and Eddie Giacomin as their stars always falling short of winning the Stanley Cup. The Garden was truly rocking in those days. I'd say 1994 was the only other year that matched that time in the late 60's and early 1970's. Obviously both the Knicks and Rangers have had some great seasons, but usually not at the same time.

As you mentioned the Pro Wrestling at MSG also packed the house. Bruno and the Pedro held the title for a long time. Lol. Don't forget the NY Chiefs of the Roller Derby League being part of the landscape. Of course college basketball too. Soccer was not part of the NY sportsworld until Pele came to play for the Cosmos several years later.

I'd say the biggest difference in sports is that it was more about city vs city in those days. The individual stars always stood out and you could still respect the opposing players although despising the team. Now it's about showcasing individuals and what their "mindset" is at the current time. Everything changed once players became multi millionaires and that's understandable. It's more of a business fraternity nowadays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT