ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Pitino plans to quickly make St. John’s a ‘special ticket again’

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

After over two decades of disappointment and unfulfilled expectations, mediocre results and bottom-half Big East finishes, there is legitimate hope that St. John’s may finally be on its way back to national relevance.

It comes in the form of Rick Pitino, the 70-year-old Hall of Fame coach and native New Yorker who agreed to take the challenging job on a six-year deal Monday afternoon.

Pitino replaces Mike Anderson, fired after four mostly underwhelming seasons, trying to resurrect this once-proud team that last won an NCAA Tournament game 23 years ago and hasn’t reached the main draw of the dance since 2015.

“I want to make it a top-20 program. I want to go back to Louie [Carnesecca’s] days when they were a perennial power, not only in the Big East, but the entire country,” Pitino, a two-time national champion who has led three different schools — Kentucky, Providence and Louisville — to the Final Four, told The Post in a phone interview. “I wouldn’t even consider taking it if I didn’t think that was a distinct possibility.”

Pitino met with St. John’s higher-ups on campus on Sunday, and they went over everything he felt was needed to create a winning team, from improving facilities to Name, Image and Likeness plans and the composition of the roster.

He decided to accept the job that night and leave Iona after leading the Gaels to two MAAC regular-season crowns and two NCAA Tournament berths.

He broke the news to his players Monday afternoon, around the time it was first reported that he was leaving.

Pitino expects to bring his entire coaching staff with him to St. John’s.

That includes former Manhattan College coach Steve Masiello, his assistant for six years at Louisville.

He may choose to retain St. John’s associate head coach Van Macon, who is responsible for recruiting most of the current roster.

“I just thought that I’ve got, hopefully, God-willing, a lot of great years ahead of me, and I said, ‘If I don’t take it, would I regret it every day the rest of my life if I don’t take on this challenge,’ ” Pitino said.

The buzz surrounding this possible move began in earnest slightly before the Big East Tournament.

The Post was the first to report mutual interest between the two parties.

University president Rev. Brian Shanley spearheaded the courtship, described as “relentless” by a Pitino confidante. Pitino has called Shanley a “superstar.”

There had been dialogue through third parties between Shanley and Pitino for quite some time, according to multiple sources. Shanley nearly hired Pitino at Providence 12 years ago — Pitino opted to stay at Louisville — before settling on Ed Cooley.

A key for St. John’s was its location.

Pitino, ousted at Louisville after a series of controversies, wanted another shot at the high-major level, but didn’t want to move from his home in Mamaroneck, N.Y., on the course at Winged Foot Golf Club.

“My wife and I were tired of moving,” he said. “Father Shanley was obviously someone I knew a long time ago.”

Pitino also was drawn to the idea of coaching at the Garden again, as he did as the Knicks coach from 1987-89.

A significant increase in St. John’s games at MSG is expected with Pitino in the fold.

At some point in the not-so-distant future, he would like to play every league game there.

“We will double the season-ticket holders, we will double the gates at the Garden. This is going to be a special ticket again,” Pitino said. “[Fans are] going to see a style of play, they’re going to see a culture that is going to be very noticeable from the first game, and we expect big crowds.

“We expect enthusiasm to be second to none and we’re going to build a brand that goes back to Louie’s days.”

Masiello recently said he thinks Pitino can coach for as much as another decade.

The legendary coach even suggested 12 more years is possible.

He will have his work cut out for him at St. John’s, right up there among his greatest challenges during a brilliant career.

“I’m going to stay in the best shape of my life to make this happen. It’s really, really important to me I go out building St. John’s into a special brand in the country,” Pitino said. “That brand was lost a long time ago. And I’ve got to build that culture and that brand back where everybody is proud to be part of the Red Storm program, and it takes a lot of work to do that.”

“Today with NIL, [being in] the Big East,” he added, “I expect to rebuild in months not years.”

SJU wins out over Georgetown. Pitino wins… and now many of his tricks are approved. I mean, he built a winner in Greece.

Reactions: TomD82 and newshu1

The ‘most important’ thing Rick Pitino thinks needs fixing at St. John’s​

By Zach Braziller

As Rick Pitino discussed with St. John’s administrators how they could build a winner together, his priority wasn’t Name, Image and Likeness or improving facilities. It wasn’t talent, either.

“The most important thing I told them is what you don’t have, and what you have to have, is culture,” Pitino told The Post shortly after he accepted the head-coaching job at the Queens school Monday. “You don’t have culture, and that’s what has to happen first. You have to develop a culture with your basketball program.”

Pitino wasn’t saying that means the Johnnies’ roster has to be completely altered, but he didn’t say it will stay the same either.

The expectation is there will be major changes after a second consecutive poor season led to Mike Anderson’s ouster, although keeping standout center Joel Soriano is a priority.

Two players — Rafael Pinzon and Andre Curbelo — were suspended at points this past season, and Dylan Addae-Wusu was held out of a loss to Iowa State for disciplinary reasons.

There hasn’t been any player movement since the end of the season, but that may not last long.

Pitino is planning to meet or speak with players and advisers over the next few days, and begin to formulate plans for his roster.

“If kids are not willing to go to class, if kids are not willing to be totally respectful, then they need to move on,” Pitino said. “If they are totally bought into going to class and getting an education and they’re totally on board with being respectful to everybody involved, they’ll get serious consideration to being part of the team. Anybody who is not respectful and doesn’t have what I call St. John’s dignity, they won’t be part of the team.”

Pitino told his returning players at Iona he hopes they stay together and play for whomever is the next coach.

He isn’t familiar with St. John’s three incoming recruits, four-star forward Brandon Gardner of Christ the King, junior college All-American Yaxel Lendeborg and unranked high school guard Harrison Reede.

Pitino plans to learn about them in the coming days.

“I’ve got to speak to them, I’ve got to watch film [of them],” he said. “I want to make sure they can play in the style of play I coach, I want to make sure they understand the style of play, understand the commitment.”

I would imagine that it will be years before they play DePaul and Butler at msg as the cost is very high.

I would imagine that it will be years before they play DePaul and Butler at msg as the cost is very high.
By year 2 the latest. They'll cover the cost with new season ticket holders. They'll be the NYC version of Pete Carroll's USC teams.

Every league game at MSG? Wow this is going to be a a completely different program with Pitino and that atmosphere
St. John’s had announced that they were not going to play Connecticut at MSG anymore because they felt it gave UConn too big of an advantage in crowd support. You know that Pitino will reverse that and embrace the big time atmosphere. The guy is sleazy as they come, but he’s a great basketball coach and a phenomenal salesman. It just got harder to recruit in the NYC metro area and winning games in the conference just got a hell of a lot harder too.

And all of that is a good thing. The conference already is one of the best in the nation, and it’s about to get better.

Reactions: LBP43 and radecicco
St, Johns is a sleeping Giant, they will be top 25 within 2 years. Save this post. I don't get all of the hate on here, this is great for the conference and spare me your morals and ethics responses. This is basketball not a church

I understand that we have 3 teams in the S16, UConn is a traditional monster over the past 30 years. With all of that IMO St. Johns is the top dog RIGHT NOW in the BE. Maybe he is too old but until he shows that he's the man...Best recruiter AND best Xs Os guy..with decent resources to get him access to top talent...deadly combo

St Johns made a huge mistake. Sure he is a great coach. However at his age I seriously doubt that he will last 5 years and then what? St Johns has to start all over again! This is a game for young coaches with energy and vitality. Pitino at 70 is over the hill. Since I am in my 70's I speak from "experience".

Reactions: PROF Ed
St Johns made a huge mistake. Sure he is a great coach. However at his age I seriously doubt that he will last 5 years and then what? St Johns has to start all over again! This is a game for young coaches with energy and vitality. Pitino at 70 is over the hill. Since I am in my 70's I speak from "experience".
Age is an individualized thing. We just had a QB playing well into his 40s at a high level. Lebron still plays at a high level. Verlander. I could go on. Modern medicine and staying in shape allows folks to do things they are good at longer, with luck and a healthy lifestyle. Yes the risk of a “drop off” is greater with advanced age, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that with Pitino or other coaches now going into their late 60s and 70s.

Tom Izzo is 68 and shows no signs of slowing down. Larranaga is 73, took his team to the Elite 8 last year and is in the Sweet 16 again.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Kind of an eye-opening quote at the opening press conference.

And then there's Joel Soriano, who initially said he wouldn't want to play for anyone other than Mike Anderson. He has apparently changed his mind.

Kind of an eye-opening quote at the opening press conference.

And then there's Joel Soriano, who initially said he wouldn't want to play for anyone other than Mike Anderson. He has apparently changed his mind.

Found it fascinating they didn’t have anyone enter the portal. Players clearly knew Pitino was coming on-board. And can you blame Soriano for wanting to get coached by him?

Reactions: LBP43
St, Johns is a sleeping Giant, they will be top 25 within 2 years. Save this post. I don't get all of the hate on here, this is great for the conference and spare me your morals and ethics responses. This is basketball not a church
Uh, the slogan sleeping giant has been taken. And tgey even woke up.

If Pitino lasts only five years, but elevates the programs national standing during that time, it is a huge win for St. John’s.

Reactions: LBP43
Love it. A coach who doesn't mince words and recognizes when an overhaul is needed.
Talk about a culture changed. Happened on the spot for them yesterday. He even remarked Anderson wasn’t a good fit, lol.

That’s Pitino.

Reactions: shu09
Also funny to think Pitino will now have coached in 3 major iterations of the BE. When you’re still coaching at 70 after starting at 25, you’ve seen it all.

Reactions: HALL85 and Halldan1
Reactions: CL82

Slick Rick was singing Sha’s praises even before St. Peter’s made their run, have to give him some credit there. Going to be some NYC blacktop brawls between them these next couple years.
Yep, and that’s a good thing. The timing could not be better, either, with our media rights being renegotiated.

Reactions: SOpirate

Slick Rick was singing Sha’s praises even before St. Peter’s made their run, have to give him some credit there. Going to be some NYC blacktop brawls between them these next couple years.
I figured Sha and him had a good relationship because KW is one of Rick’s guys.

They’ve been Top 25, they just have to stay there.
I know it’s not the case, but it seems like they are Top 25 when they come to Newark every year on Dec. 31.

Reactions: TheHall87

Yeah, who needs morals and ethics outside of a church; even less of a problem if you never darken the door of one.

Rut roh, he’s showing a lot of love for UConn target Boogie Fland… So it begins.

We need to stop worrying about Pitino and and the other schools and worry about things we can control. We need to recruit solid players every where they can be found and have them embrace Sha and SHU.
Exactly. We’ll be fine regardless of what goes on in Queens and should welcome a relevant St. John’s. SHU, SJU, and even Rutgers being relevant at the same time is mutually beneficial

Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT