ADVERTISEMENT

RIP - John McCain

A true American patriot who loved his country and who demonstrated exceptional courage during his 5 years as a prison of war in North Vietnam and in his fight against the disease that took his life.
I was born the same year Senator McCain first joined the House. I was not around for Vietnam but know how it fractured the country. John McCain put country over self. He was a great American and person regardless of political party affiliation.

https://t.co/9awey6jFtX?amp=1

https://t.co/cenUpj0ex3?amp=1

A true American patriot who loved his country and who demonstrated exceptional courage during his 5 years as a prison of war in North Vietnam and in his fight against the disease that took his life.
Plus 1000

RIP, John MCain. A hero, patriot, and one who lived an incredible life.

There is much to be learned and emulated in how he approached his role in Congress.

This sums it up best:

I was an admirer of JOHN McCain. He is A man who held country above party. So sad to see him pass. Rest In Peace Senator McCain. You will be missed.

Reactions: SnakeTom
John McCain should go down as the most admired/respected politician of our time. A shame he was unable to win the Presidency. RIP indeed.

Reactions: Pirate64
McCain spoke at SHU when I was a student in the late 80s. Very moving; always a fan of his after. Great man and will be missed.

Not sure if these means anything, but I’m quite confident that many of the people saying great things about him on this thread and elsewhere, did not vote for him when they could have.... just an observation.

BTW - an interesting tidbit I heard was that his mother is still alive. She’s 106.

I agree. It just seems like people say that more polticians should be like him, yet the overwhelming majority of those people would never cross party lines to vote for him or anyone else on either side. Some will, but they are in a distinct minority. That’s a major reason why people also think the system is so screwed up.

I agree. It just seems like people say that more polticians should be like him, yet the overwhelming majority of those people would never cross party lines to vote for him or anyone else on either side. Some will, but they are in a distinct minority. That’s a major reason why people also think the system is so screwed up.

It wasn't just that he didn't win. He was demonized as "another old white guy," and as he continued his service, became ill, and vehemently opposed Trump, it made that rhetoric all the more distasteful.

RIP, and thanks, to a fine American.

Not sure if these means anything, but I’m quite confident that many of the people saying great things about him on this thread and elsewhere, did not vote for him when they could have.... just an observation.

BTW - an interesting tidbit I heard was that his mother is still alive. She’s 106.

I think it plays into the idea that reasonable minds can disagree even after the heat of a passionate race. Also heightened by what’s going on now, which, to me, is even more petty than usual. Although, look at that 2000 primary Bush-McCain had; that was a dousy.

I had one opportunity to vote for McCain in 2008. As someone who has cast votes for both parties, I did not for McCain that year because change out was important to me at the time. But I still recognize and appreciate his service.

There is so much that has been written about his life that confuses me. I don't know what to make of it but I do know I hope he is resting in peace

I actually think that this represents a good thing. I happened to have voted for McCain who made it infinitely more difficult to do by picking Palin as VP.

It shows that despite political differences, people respected and saw him as a man of honor.

I like McCain a lot and voted for him for President and really wanted him to win the primary against Bush and voted for him then to. I like folks that reach across the aisle and try to get things done for the country. He was a staunch defender of the country. He was a classic politician and almost got booted early in his career because of the Keating Five scandal in which he made a lot of mistakes and used his power in a really bad way. His biggest mistake was not choosing Joe Lieberman for VP. That would have been very cool and good for America to have a Repub and a Dem as running mates.

I was pulling for him to beat Dubya in the primaries in 2000 and voted for him against Obama in 2008.
Picking Palin over Lieberman as his running mate was a mistake he regretted to the end.

Rest in peace.

Thanks to pressure from the American Legion and other groups the American flag that John McCain respected , honored and fought for is now once again flying at half mast over the White House . It should have never been raised after being lowered for just half a day .

Last edited:
It wasn't just that he didn't win. He was demonized as "another old white guy," and as he continued his service, became ill, and vehemently opposed Trump, it made that rhetoric all the more distasteful.

RIP, and thanks, to a fine American.
He was demonized worse by w's robocalls in 2000 as I remember.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT