ADVERTISEMENT

Rob Manfred

It's easy to bitch when the choices are start on time and play through rain, start on time and have a mid-game delay or wait until past 10 PM ET to start. Sure, they could have postponed at 7 PM but that was always a last resort, especially when they thought they were going to be able to play by 9 PM or so.

From the attached ESPN.com story

Speaking after MLB's announcement, Yankees manager Brian Cashman said there were multiple video calls throughout Monday night between the teams and the commissioner's office as they weighed whether to play against the forecast, which initially looked like it would clear by 9 p.m. at the latest.

"We expected to play," Cashman said. "It was supposed to be, not a window, it was supposed to clear. And then a new system popped up. We were actually wrestling with a first-pitch time and then a new system popped up, with moderate rain, that's going to hit us in another 25 minutes, and now we couldn't start it again. And now we had a new whole new weather system that was not in the forecast whatsoever. And that's obviously what eventually took us down.

"Weather is tricky. It's very unpredictable, but the full intention was an expectation every step of the way, was we were playing the game tonight. Both teams wanted to play tonight. And then unfortunately, weather took us down and it's becoming more and more unpredictable."

The weather yesterday was exactly as predicted early in the morning. They should have moved the game up to 3 p.m. and they could've easily gotten it in. Would many fans have been screwed? Of course, but not much more so than they are now having to figure out how to get to a 4:30 start on what, 15 hours notice?

It's not an easy decision, but it was a better and fairer one than what they ultimately chose. Of course, doing the smart thing wouldn't have allowed the Yankees to soak their fans for three hours, either. And I don't mean the rain.

The weather yesterday was exactly as predicted early in the morning. They should have moved the game up to 3 p.m. and they could've easily gotten it in. Would many fans have been screwed? Of course, but not much more so than they are now having to figure out how to get to a 4:30 start on what, 15 hours notice?

It's not an easy decision, but it was a better and fairer one than what they ultimately chose. Of course, doing the smart thing wouldn't have allowed the Yankees to soak their fans for three hours, either. And I don't mean the rain.
15 hours notice is much better than waking up yesterday and finding out you have 8 hours notice. But TV controls so much of the start times. They pay a ton to MLB and MLB has to answer to them. I doubt Manfred makes these decisions without their input.

15 hours notice is much better than waking up yesterday and finding out you have 8 hours notice. But TV controls so much of the start times. They pay a ton to MLB and MLB has to answer to them. I doubt Manfred makes these decisions without their input.
Right, and their M.O. is always to screw the fan in service of the television deal. Yesterday was just a perfect parlay where they not only got to screw the ticket-buying fan, but also the teams (especially Cleveland, which now loses some earned advantages in terms of pitching matchups and bullpen), which now have zero rest between series. Either way, TV still has to air an afternoon game. Could've done it just as easily yesterday, given that fans are no part of the calculus.

Reactions: Piratz
I would have played the game. I don’t think the hard stuff was going to come down for some time.
bishop-e1544657330969.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: donnie_baseball
Manfred stinks. His mishandling and his weakness with the cheating scandal is all you need to know. Terrible job by MLB. As per usual fans are the ones screwed. They truly could care less for the folks who shelled out big buck, broke their buts to get to the Bronx in terrible weather and sat in the cold and wet for over 4 hours. Shame on them.

This nonsense all started with the ridiculous off day after the first game. That messed everything up.

Last edited:
Manfred stinks. His mishandling and his weakness with the cheating scandal is all you need to know. Terrible job by MLB. As per usual fans are the ones screwed. They truly could care less for the folks who shelled out big buck, broke their buts to get to the Bronx in terrible weather and sat in the cold and wet for over 4 hours. Shame on them.

This nonsense all started with the ridiculous off day after the first game. That messed everything up.
Well they wanted a quad header for fan engagement day one of DS round and then offset each league to play on similar days weather permitting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT