ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Construction By HS Ranking

Ike does not have the foot work and you won’t see that pick and roll with him much. What you hope to see is something more basic and something that suits him. He needs to learn the drop step. Add in a little baby hook, and that’s what you need and should teaching Ike.
Ike is not Ro. Don't think P&R is his forte either. Simple post moves, like cern says.

pot meet kettle

you get into lengthy heated exchanges with every poster who doesn’t agree with you to the letter. Lol, you did it with 3 different posters on this thread attributing one statement to a second.
While I may have gone overboard on this thread a bit bc not many appreciated the work put in to creating it.

Usually I do not get annoyed by posters who disagree with my opinions (so “every”is inaccurate).

As far as this thread, it’s the manner in which a poster disagrees. I enjoy healthy debates, I do not like posters who just jump in to criticize without offering anything constructive. Which is what the poster did so I called it out.

I encourage you and llode to ignore my posts going forward tho, this way you won’t have to see all my lengthy heated posts against EVERY one that disagrees with me🙄

Last edited:
I do think that HS rankings are overrated beyond top 50s and once a player shows what he’s got after a few years of college they can be thrown out the window.

I like Ike but I’d throw the top 100 ranking aside and take I ranked Gil every day if the week. They’re guides, not necessarily holding much water once the balls get rolled out.

But of course we want top 150 players over a collection of 151-300 hidden gems. They rarely pan out.

Oh, and if I was bored I’d link a bunch of other posts where you’ve gone nuts at the slightest disagreement. All good fun man, breathe a little.

I do think that HS rankings are overrated beyond top 50s and once a player shows what he’s got after a few years of college they can be thrown out the window.

I like Ike but I’d throw the top 100 ranking aside and take I ranked Gil every day if the week. They’re guides, not necessarily holding much water once the balls get rolled out.

But of course we want top 150 players over a collection of 151-300 hidden gems. They rarely pan out.

Oh, and if I was bored I’d link a bunch of other posts where you’ve gone nuts at the slightest disagreement. All good fun man, breathe a little.
I agree to some degree, it diminishes overtime in college but its not useless especially freshman and soph years where circumstances may have prevented on court performance.

I assume you are referring to your "what's the more played out theme by posters" thread you posted on Trove and how I responded.

You went out of your way to create a thread to mock other posters (like me) bc on a different thread where I simply stated I believed Myles Powell had a chance at an NBA contract (2 way) if the stars aligned a little better (covid cancelling tourney not being able to start over the best g league guard this year on westchester). We had disagreed. Fine but then you created a mocking poll thread right after.

As far as being bored, maybe if you were so busy and not being worth your time, try not creating a poll thread that is attacking another viewpoint with slanted and biased question 🤷‍♂️

I think the point is once someone is in college for a while, and especially as a transfer, it becomes outdated. Beyond the first 50 and maybe 100, it’s all kind of useless anyway.
I’ve said for a while that depending on the year 40ish to 150 comes down to a kids work ethic and attitude

What if we review this now?

Top 100 Players out of HS on next year's team:
Obiagu 2017 #63 (Nigeria) WAY too high
Weston 2021 #77 N/A
Jackson 2019 #85 WAY too high
Richmond 2020 #88 About right so far, hopefully a little too low
Cale 2017 #92 Too high

Not too far off:
Powell 2021 #125 N/A
Conway 2021 #144 N/A

Diamonds in the rough:
Samuel 2019 #184 (Canada) About right
Rhoden 2018 #200 WAY too low
Long 2020 #256 About right
Yetna 2017 #325 (France) WAY too low
Harris 2017 #329 Too low
Ngandu 2020 #? (Congo) N/A

Next Season:
Harris 2022 #143 N/A

Ike does not have the foot work and you won’t see that pick and roll with him much. What you hope to see is something more basic and something that suits him. He needs to learn the drop step. Add in a little baby hook, and that’s what you need and should teaching Ike.
Ike is our highest ranked HS recruit on the roster at 63 - maybe next year he breaks out and lives up to the billing? Only if the coaching staff involves him in the offense. 😂

Top 100 Players out of HS on next year's team:

Obiagu 2017 #63 (Nigeria) WAY too high yet lead big east in block shots and will be a two year starter for a top 50 team.

Jackson 2019 #85 WAY too high yet hasn’t done much in two year and the coaches still speak highly with massive upside.

Cale 2017 #92 Too high yet might be a three year starter, one of our best 3 pt shooters, dunker and maybe on ball defender

Reactions: Hallsome
Difficult to judge Jackson as he was sitting out a year as a transfer and then he was on the bench and added to the active roster very late into the season . The question I see as unanswered is during our end of season collapse if Jackson is thought of as highly as some suggest by the staff why didn’t he see more time on the court. Right now I would say that he is a Developmental Player who was sitting out this past season to work on his game and improve his weaknesses but college free agency came upon us which led to Jackson being eligible to play as the sit- out a year was waived.

Seton Hall wasn’t a Top 50 team last season.
Picking on the irrelevant details there. Average it out for this year and last....they will be safely (hopefully) be in top 50 team avg. If that is too much for you to project, say top 4 team in big east...point still not affected by that detail.

Difficult to judge Jackson as he was sitting out a year as a transfer and then he was on the bench and added to the active roster very late into the season .
Yet many players were in that exact position and it didn't effect them.

Not to mention we had one 5, so he started.

I like Ike. Ike can be better, but he also may have hit a ceiling.

We will see...
There are plenty of teams that play PFs as center, maybe more teams actually play a PF instead at a traditional center at the 5. We had Mamu and Samuel and a lesser degree Tray Jackson to jump in.

This point is even more irrelevant.

The logic employed here is mind boggling... all to make a point of high school rankings when guys are several years into college.

We were all students. Did we care about our high school grades and SAT scores when we were juniors in college? It’s not a perfect analogy, but there is some validity to it.

Reactions: Piratz and SPK145
The logic employed here is mind boggling... all to make a point of high school rankings when guys are several years into college.

We were all students. Did we care about our high school grades and SAT scores when we were juniors in college? It’s not a perfect analogy, but there is some validity to it.
I'm sorry for boggling your mind.

I am just attempting to refute the claim that HS rankings are totally useless even after playing a year or two in college. Reduced value, absolutely but no value, ridiculous.

It makes no sense. But if it makes you feel better..............

Reactions: lloyde dobler

Agree the analogy doesn't fit here.

Other schools are not prevented from seeing my grades from the classes I'm taking at my current school to make the SAT irrelevant.

As a student I'm getting playing time essentially, or playing time in the right position, or not affected by injury or another student that get take tests instead of me that a future albert einstein.

If those happen, coaches go by what they saw in HS with potential from there...

try a new analogy next time and again, sorry for expanding your mind a bit from group think.

There are plenty of teams that play PFs as center, maybe more teams actually play a PF instead at a traditional center at the 5. We had Mamu and Samuel and a lesser degree Tray Jackson to jump in.

This point is even more irrelevant.
Again, any disagreement with you is deemed irrelevant.

You’re touting Ike as a 2-year starter on a top 50 team.

there was hardly a player to start over him last year. Sandro played the 5 when he sat, Samuel a little, but we needed Sandro at the 4. With NO BACKCOURT, players were shifted more toward guards. This just in, Cale is not a 2.

and I don’t think there is a guarantee that he starts this year. You even say PFs play the 5, I can see Yetna starting some games if Rhoden starts at the 4 and we go small and quick. We are now a BACKCOURT-oriented team.

but yes, keep touting Ike’s high school ranking of #63 to make your argument how relative high school rankings are for a 5th year senior playing his 4th year.

Again, any disagreement with you is deemed irrelevant.

You’re touting Ike as a 2-year starter on a top 50 team.

there was hardly a player to start over him last year. Sandro played the 5 when he sat, Samuel a little, but we needed Sandro at the 4. With NO BACKCOURT, players were shifted more toward guards. This just in, Cale is not a 2.

and I don’t think there is a guarantee that he starts this year. You even say PFs play the 5, I can see Yetna starting some games if Rhoden starts at the 4 and we go small and quick. We are now a BACKCOURT-oriented team.

but yes, keep touting Ike’s high school ranking of #63 to make your argument how relative high school rankings are for a 5th year senior playing his 4th year.
Sorry for upsetting you again Sami. I don't feel like the challenge that Ike was forced to start because he was the only center holds much water. But I respect your opinion.

If Ike didn't have value he wouldn't be starting IMHO.

I mentioned Samuel, Mamu at 6-10 and 6-11. I threw in Tray Jackson and I didn't even mention Rhoden can play the 4 and shift Mamu or Samuel over last year. Ike didn't have to start bc he was the only traditionally center.

You are correct, there is a chance Ike doesn't start this coming year but I seriously doubt he won't be.

Most of the posters on this board feel Ike will be starting next year so fight it out with them please. Better yet this would be a good poll for you to create on trove 😊

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT