ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers-Seton Hall basketball series salvaged; date set for 2021

Garden State Hardwood Classic Set To Return In 2021​

SHU_RU_2021_twitter.png

Seton Hall and Rutgers will clash on Dec. 12 at the Prudential Center​

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. – The Garden State Hardwood Classic – the game that pits Seton Hall and Rutgers against one another in men's basketball for top bragging rights in New Jersey – will return this season as the Pirates will take on the Scarlet Knights on Dec. 12 at the Prudential Center. The Garden State Hardwood Classic is presented by Affinity Federal Credit Union.

The game will be the 72nd all-time meeting in a series that dates back to 1916. Seton Hall leads the all-time series over Rutgers, 40-31, including wins in five of the last seven seasons. Since 1996, which is when Rutgers joined the BIG EAST Conference and the two teams began playing each other regularly, the Pirates own a 25-17 advantage in the series.

The winner of the game receives the 32-inch, 33-pound Garden State Hardwood Classic trophy, which was erected on a farm in Cumberland County, N.J. by Colin Pezzano consisting primarily of recycled Asbury Park boardwalk planks that were recovered in the rebuilding process that followed Superstorm Sandy. The main structure was carved out to replicate the physical layout of the state of New Jersey and is set in a base that resembles the features of a basketball. The athletics logos of the respective programs are in a position that corresponds to their geographic location. The winning school each year also receives its name engraved on the back of the trophy. Seton Hall is 4-2 against Rutgers since the trophy debuted in 2014.

The Garden State Hardwood Classic logo was designed by former Seton Hall women's soccer student-athlete Peggy Nicolle. Each year, the Garden State Hardwood Classic selects a Most Valuable Player of the game to receive the Joe Calabrese Award, which honors the late New Jersey sportswriter who covered college basketball for decades.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
EDIT - My response will no longer make sense because the RU poster just deleted his prior post.

Nope. I know what happened as I have strong sources from both programs and SHU was well within their rights to chose as they did. If there was an issue I would say the Hall's lack of communication made the problem worse.

But as for the choice made, I doubt Rutgers given the same consideration wouldn't have done the identical thing.

The only hurdle holding RU back from becoming well respected, few OOC high major opponents (SHU 6 - RU 2)

"With this game in the fold: Seton Hall now has six high-major opponents on its 2021-22 schedule: Texas at home Dec. 9, Penn State at home, at Big Ten foe in the Gavitt Games and two contests in November's Fort Myers (Fla) Tip-Off Classic (Florida, Ohio State and Cal are the other teams). Rutgers has as-yet unknown high-major opponents in the Gavitt Games and Big Ten-ACC Challenge."

The only hurdle holding RU back from becoming well respected, few OOC high major opponents (SHU 6 - RU 2)

"With this game in the fold: Seton Hall now has six high-major opponents on its 2021-22 schedule: Texas at home Dec. 9, Penn State at home, at Big Ten foe in the Gavitt Games and two contests in November's Fort Myers (Fla) Tip-Off Classic (Florida, Ohio State and Cal are the other teams). Rutgers has as-yet unknown high-major opponents in the Gavitt Games and Big Ten-ACC Challenge."
That’s still only five...Texas, Penn State, TBD Gavit Games and two of Florida, Ohio State and Cal.

Well, it is Rutgers national championship trophy.
Not even trying to be a jerk, but only one they will see. Conference and NCAA ones are not likely in the cards, and clearly their AD and coach isn't interested in putting them in a quality non-conference tournament. Maybe a trophy from a low-end invitational of some kind is in their future?

Not even trying to be a jerk, but only one they will see. Conference and NCAA ones are not likely in the cards, and clearly their AD and coach isn't interested in putting them in a quality non-conference tournament. Maybe a trophy from a low-end invitational of some kind is in their future?
You have to be invited to those tournaments and no way anyone is killing themselves to extend an invite to a low level opponent. They would rather try to pad their results by loading up on cupcakes at home.

Reactions: Hallsome
It's good news that we're playing, but I also wouldn't have lost any sleep over it getting cancelled. They want to keep the trophy? Cool, they can read the back whenever they want to be reminded who's better.

Last edited:

Use your toes next time instead of your fingers.

I thought I read we weren’t in the. Gavit games or was that another challenge?
Honestly not sure, mikewalsh listed it which is why I included it. Gavit games got cancelled last season, no? Don’t think we were slated to play last season and have no idea about this year. If we do get slated this year, that will be our fifth major OOC opponent though.

Not as much as we will like crushing you at the Prudential Center
He’s back! Seldom right but never in doubt hbr1103. Well at least no one here drops the F bomb like ur fellow scarlet fans do.

How many tourney appearances does Rutgers have in last 30 years? Clown.
Living in the past
Wake up
We have passed you
A better league
A state of the art practice facility
A better coaching staff
These are all recent events so yes you have been better . Key word is have been
We are now better
You couldn’t even beat DePaul with NCAA on line

• Haha
Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
ADVERTISEMENT