ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Whalen Part 1

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zack Cziryak

TROVE: The squad is coming off an NIT championship that started with a first-round victory over your alma mater in Saint Joseph's. What were your feelings coaching against your old school?

WHALEN: "Saint Joe's is a place that is very special to me. Obviously, I went there, graduated from there. I met my wife there, which is the thing that holds the most weight in my world. I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing at the level that I'm doing it without her or her support. So, you know, that was really special, but at the same time it was kind of like any other game because I've been so far removed from the program.

One of my mentors in the business, Coach Phil Martelli, was obviously no longer the coach there. The AD Don DiJulia, when I was there, he was one of the best people you'll ever come across in your entire life - he was no longer there. There was really only one guy on the staff, and I know those guys, but not as intimately as when I went to school there and was a part of the program. So, it was cool to see the Hawk on the other end of the baseline flapping its wings, but once the ball went up in the air it was like any other game.

And also, because it was such a quick turnaround time, you don't really get to think about having feelings or emotions. You've just got to prepare like it's anybody else. And you know, I'm a Seton Hall Pirate through and through now.

Reactions: SHU Advisory
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.