ADVERTISEMENT

Sandro Mamukelashvili Selected by Milwaukee Bucks in 2021 NBA Draft

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

SHUMBB_SandroDraft_twitter.jpg

BROOKLYN – Seton Hall University men's basketball graduate Sandro Mamukelashvili '21 (Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia), capped off his tremendous collegiate career Thursday evening when he was selected 54th overall in the 2021 NBA Draft by the current world champion Milwaukee Bucks.

Mamukelashvili becomes Seton Hall's 29th all-time NBA Draft pick, and first-ever Pirate selected by the Bucks. Seton Hall men's basketball alumni have played 6,639 career games in the NBA, led by 2001 first-round pick Samuel Dalembert, who appeared in 886 games over a 13-year career.

Mamukelashvili is the second NBA draft pick under Pirates head coach Kevin Willard, joining 2016 selection Isaiah Whitehead, who went 42nd overall to the Utah Jazz and was subsequently traded to the Brooklyn Nets.

Mamukelashvili, who graduated from the University with a bachelor's degree in social and behavioral sciences, is coming off a decorated 2020-21 season for the Pirates, leading the team in scoring at 17.5 points per game, in rebounding at 7.6 per game and free throws made at 95. The versatile power forward was one of only two players in the BIG EAST Conference to rank in the league's top-5 in both scoring and rebounding and one of only two to rank in the top-15 in scoring, rebounding and assists (3.2 per game), both overall and in conference games only.

At season's end, Mamukelashvili was named BIG EAST Player of the Year, Haggerty Award Metropolitan Player of the Year, Associated Press All-America honorable mention, NABC and USBWA All-District, first-team All-BIG EAST and first-team All-Met Writers. He also was a finalist for the 2021 Karl Malone National Power Forward of the Year Award.

In February, Mamukelashvili became just the 45th Pirate in program history to reach the 1,000 career points milestone. Reaching 1,000 was a strong accomplishment for someone who only scored 87 points his freshman season, missed 10 games of his junior season due to injury and lost more games due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He finished his career with an even 1,100 points, which ranks 38th all-time at Seton Hall. He also ranks 20th in program history with 651 career rebounds.

SETON HALL MEN'S BASKETBALL'S NBA DRAFT HISTORY

YearPlayerTeamRoundOverall Pick
1948Bobby WanzerRochester110
John "Whitey" MacknowskiRochesterN/A*N/A*
1949Frank "Pep" SaulRochester112
1952Roy BelliveauNew YorkN/A*N/A*
1953Walter DukesNew York1Territorial Pick ^
Richie ReganRochester14
1954Harry BrooksBaltimore864
1956Ed PetrieNew YorkN/A*N/A*
1957Dick GainesSyracuse754
1964Nick WerkmanBoston543
1965Richie DecCincinnati1079
1975John RamseyNew York346
1976Mike BeuscherWashington10170
1977Glenn MosleyPhiladelphia120
1978Greg TynesBoston594
1979Nick GalisBoston468
Marc ColemanNew York7134
1982Howard McNeilLA Lakers5113
Dan CallandrilloHouston8176
1986Andre McCloudPhiladelphia6136
1988Mark BryantPortland121
1989John MortonCleveland125
1991Anthony AventAtlanta115
1993Terry DehereLA Clippers113
Luther WrightUtah118
2001Eddie GriffinNew Jersey !17
Samuel DalembertPhiladelphia126
2016Isaiah WhiteheadUtah #242
2021Sandro MamukelashviliMilwaukee254

*Actual draft round and overall information unavailable
^ Territorial picks were made prior to the NBA Draft officially beginning
! Rights were immediately traded to the Houston Rockets
# Rights were immediately traded to the Brooklyn Nets

Congratulations Sandro! I believe you have NBA talent and you've landed in a good spot. Work hard and make it happen!

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Wonderful news for Sandro to be drafted and get an opportunity to play i the NBA . It’s an opportunity that he’s earned thru hard work and I wish him continued success as his basketball journey continues.

If we would've had some better teammates on the roster last year, Myles Powell would be on the list. But instead Evil Dr. Testa injected him with pain killer. 😉

If Portis returns, that will be a tough spot to break into the rotation or potentially even make the roster with any other veteran moves they may make. It seems to be a good, developmental culture though if he can stick.

Reactions: HALL85
If Portis returns, that will be a tough spot to break into the rotation or potentially even make the roster with any other veteran moves they may make. It seems to be a good, developmental culture though if he can stick.
Right about culture. Learning defense from Tucker and Portis can only help short and long term.

Here’s what Bucks writers think about Sandro.

Good summary. IMO his A/T ratio issue was more a function of what he was asked to do (point forward) and not exactly having a cast that was good at moving without the ball (weave doesn't count).

Congrats to Sandro. I'm not sure Milwaukee is the right fit for him but that's a conversation for another time.

Today is a day to celebrate.

What a lovely, heartwarming celebration. Were any teammates or coaches with Mamu when the news came through?

Reactions: SHUMA04
Congrats to Sandro. I'm not sure Milwaukee is the right fit for him but that's a conversation for another time.

Today is a day to celebrate.
you could say this for any team. i think bucks are one of the bettee teams to be drafted to. hes going to have to compete no matter where he goes but bucks system plays small

you could say this for any team. i think bucks are one of the bettee teams to be drafted to. hes going to have to compete no matter where he goes but bucks system plays small

Bucks have 14 paid guarantee gigs on books for coming season right now

Agreed he's going to have to compete anyway.

On the other hand, arguably the best player in the league plays his position. If he sticks, there will be limited opportunities to show his ability.

It does help that Bobby Portis opted out of his contract.

Reactions: mbraue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT