ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule next year?

newshu

Junior
Jan 19, 2005
Does someone have the list of games that we know we have next year? I think there are about 8-10 games we already know we are playing?

Big Ten game towards beginning of season (NOT Rutgers)
St. Peters
Advocare Invitational in Orlando over Thanksgiving (3 games from this pool: Zags, Miami, Florida, Quinnipiac, Indiana State, Iowa State, Stanford)
Kansas in Hawaii 12/7
Rutgers at home mid to late December

St. Peters
Advocare Invitational in Orlando over Thanksgiving (3 games from this pool: Zags, Miami, Florida, Quinnipiac, Indiana State, Iowa State, Stanford)
Kansas in Hawaii 12/7
Man do I want a shot at ZAGA again

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Who cares about Gonzaga? They are going to be a completely different team next year. Won't make me feel any better about our loss this year
Still IMO would be nice to beat them, also I would assume that playing them would be an RPI boost over the likes of Indiana state

An 11 hour flight to Hawaii for one game?..that's taking play anyone, anywhere to a whole new level.

The networks have decided for some odd reason that there must be unique bball games played that have to do with Veterans Day & now Pearl Harbor Day. I don't have a problem with it on it's face, but this is how it is being executed. I'd imagine once they realize the early season ratings for college bball will be garbage no matter what bells & whistles they try, maybe these will disappear.

Schedule MUST be upgraded. Before this past season, a lot of us included myself thought that the ooc schedule was better but in the end it stunk. We played One game against a team that went to the NCAAs and they were in the play in game. Pathetic!

There is a method to the madness as it pertains to the schedule. If they had a tougher non conference schedule would the team have come together and go 12-6 in conference and win the BET. The team needed confidence and time to gel. Having a few tough losses to a decent power 5 team or a very good mid major would have been disastrous. Next year you will see a much tougher schedule because this team can handle it now.

St. Peters
Kansas in Hawaii 12/7

Wouldn't it make sense if we play Kansas in Hawaii to play another west coast team before or after that game? I'm not asking to play UCLA or USC but maybe a San Diego State, UC Irvine, Long Beach State, or Hawaii.

There's plenty of reason to play a mid-major on the road.

Don't know the exact formula, but for argument's sake if a neutral win is worth 1 RPI point, the same win on the road is worth 1.2 and the same win at home is worth 0.8. Again, that's not the exact formula, but that's the basis for how RPI works.

That's why SHU should throw St Peter's a bone and play at Yanitelli once in a while, and also play now and then at Princeton or Monmouth, or someone like Penn at the Palestra. There's value in it. And if you think you might lose those road games, then you are not good enough of a program to dictate that everyone must play you at your own building.

One good thing about playing Kansas in Hawaii is the school receives good money for that one game. Probably not as much as Kansas and not the 2 million Duke asked for to be in a tournament, but it is prudent for the school to take advantage of network sponsored games.

Wouldn't it make sense if we play Kansas in Hawaii to play another west coast team before or after that game? I'm not asking to play UCLA or USC but maybe a San Diego State, UC Irvine, Long Beach State, or Hawaii.

San Diego state is probably a better team than either USC or UCLA, especially on their home court.

There is a method to the madness as it pertains to the schedule. If they had a tougher non conference schedule would the team have come together and go 12-6 in conference and win the BET. The team needed confidence and time to gel. Having a few tough losses to a decent power 5 team or a very good mid major would have been disastrous. Next year you will see a much tougher schedule because this team can handle it now.

I don't understand this logic, and I definitely want to see some examples of:

(a) Teams who played weak OOC, gelled, and then went big in conference
(b) Teams that played hard OOC, gelled, and then went big in conference

You make it sound like the magical formula is playing a weak OOC to make your team gel. Only 7 other teams made it into the dance at-large playing an OOC strength of schedule higher than 250. The only team that made any noise in that group is Indiana. It doesn't seem to me that playing weak competition outside of your OOC somehow prepares you for upgraded conference and post-season play. I understand it is subjective analysis, but I find the argument weak in general. There are so many examples of teams that play hard OOCs (especially outside the power 5) and then make noise regularly in March.

No reason to play a mid major on the road

Yes, there are reasons. We currently play a garbage schedule. Too many St. Peter's and Troy games. Playing good Mid-majors away (especially against teams that win their conference often) helps your SOS and resume. It's already been noted, but our OOC this year included one team that made the tournament. Play some good mid-majors. Plenty of A-10 opponents close by. Plenty of teams that regularly get into the top 150 RPI on a yearly basis beyond that.

Maybe sign a home and home with a quality west coast team, play the away game this year before or after Hawaii

Maybe sign a home and home with a quality west coast team, play the away game this year before or after Hawaii

I would think USC makes the most sense since they haven't historically been able to get great non conference home games like UCLA. San Diego State makes a lot of sense as well, but it's a tough environment for a game. Cal and Stanford are great as well. I doubt UCLA would be interested in a Home and Home. I don't think Seton Hall benefits by doing the mid major thing, but if they go that way, Long Beach State, UC Irvine, and UCSB are the best options. (I say that even though I am a huge fan of UCI).

There's info on the Trove re your question.

For this board just understand something 'might' be in the works.

Can't answer as the subject is being discussed on the Trove.

If anyone else wants to chime in please do so.

Oh man Kansas for one game in hawaii... if we did that this year maybe that 1st round game in denver goes a little better. i really love it. and if we lose than no biggie. the experience is worth it.

If there's going to be a second game it doesn't necessarily have to be a California team.

How about Oregon, Arizona or Utah?

Especially if Whitehead comes back why not take on the best? I think we'd all love a home-and-home with any of those teams.

As for Cali, I don't think anybody mentioned going farther north to Fresno State.

Reactions: garyshu71
The ideal ooc schedule is a difficult question to answer.

What does the committee want to value next year? Two years ago it was road wins, last year it was SOS, and this year it was top 50 wins (not top 50 record or else Michigan and Vandy wouldn't have made it)... I think that's why you see teams playing top 50 teams neutral, which gives you a chance to hit all of the boxes (chance for top win, improve SOS, and prove we can win away from home without the disadvantage of being on the road)

With that being said, I think you have to give yourself at least 4 opportunities to play tournament teams in non-conference. Going even 1-3 gives you a quality non-conference win and the 3 losses are just 3 losses that improved your SOS.

Perfect example: Michigan Non-Conference SOS 203..They played 4 teams in the top 100.
Losses: Xavier, Uconn (neutral), @SMU... Average loss by 18 points.
Win: Texas(neutral)
The head of the committee mentioned that Texas win on Selection Sunday. And they got in the tournament.

What you can't do is schedule like South Carolina...
South Carolina undefeated non-conference best win Hofstra. Non-conference SOS 300....didn't make tournament.

What does the committee want to value next year? Two years ago it was road wins, last year it was SOS, and this year it was top 50 wins (not top 50 record or else Michigan and Vandy wouldn't have made it)... I think that's why you see teams playing top 50 teams neutral, which gives you a chance to hit all of the boxes (chance for top win, improve SOS, and prove we can win away from home without the disadvantage of being on the road)

With that being said, I think you have to give yourself at least 4 opportunities to play tournament teams in non-conference. Going even 1-3 gives you a quality non-conference win and the 3 losses are just 3 losses that improved your SOS.

Perfect example: Michigan Non-Conference SOS 203..They played 4 teams in the top 100.
The head of the committee mentioned that Texas win on Selection Sunday. And they got in the tournament.

South Carolina undefeated non-conference best win Hofstra. Non-conference SOS 300....didn't make tournament.

Completely agree. 4 likely tournament teams, another 4 teams likely top 100 or top 150 RPI teams, the rest not worse than RPI 250.

Compare that to this year:

1 Top 50 game
4 50-100 teams
3 150-250 teams
4 250+ teams

That's just way too bottom heavy.

Ideally:

3 Top 50 games
5 50-150 teams
4 150+

The strength of your OOC schedule and how you fare against those teams is reportedly a major consideration in deciding what teams get at-large bids yet we've seen examples where teams with a good OOC schedule and record are left out for teams with a weaker OOC schedule and a worse OOC record who get in. That inconsistency by the Selection Committee does leaves teams unsure as to just how strong their OOC should be .

I don't understand this logic, and I definitely want to see some examples of:

(a) Teams who played weak OOC, gelled, and then went big in conference
(b) Teams that played hard OOC, gelled, and then went big in conference

You make it sound like the magical formula is playing a weak OOC to make your team gel. Only 7 other teams made it into the dance at-large playing an OOC strength of schedule higher than 250. The only team that made any noise in that group is Indiana. It doesn't seem to me that playing weak competition outside of your OOC somehow prepares you for upgraded conference and post-season play. I understand it is subjective analysis, but I find the argument weak in general. There are so many examples of teams that play hard OOCs (especially outside the power 5) and then make noise regularly in March.

Yes, there are reasons. We currently play a garbage schedule. Too many St. Peter's and Troy games. Playing good Mid-majors away (especially against teams that win their conference often) helps your SOS and resume. It's already been noted, but our OOC this year included one team that made the tournament. Play some good mid-majors. Plenty of A-10 opponents close by. Plenty of teams that regularly get into the top 150 RPI on a yearly basis beyond that.
Did you not see what happened to this team in 2014-2015 when they started losing. The wheels came totally off. Not saying that would have happened this season but you had no idea what would happen before the season. So the OOC schedule had some decent games, Georgia, Ole Miss, GWU, and Wich St. Who knows what would have happened early in the season. The easy patch of games allowed this team to find an identity and gel together. So to answer your question A, SHU this past season is a team with a soft OOC schedule that allowed it to gel for conference play. South Caroline being the exact opposite

Some great destinations for warm weather traveling with The Hall playing at Disney in a tournament and obviously the trip to Hawaii against Kansas on Pearl Harbor Day.

Some great destinations for warm weather traveling with The Hall playing at Disney in a tournament and obviously the trip to Hawaii against Kansas on Pearl Harbor Day.
Plus as previously noted on the Trove the possibility of a second game.

If there's going to be a second game it doesn't necessarily have to be a California team.

How about Oregon, Arizona or Utah?

Especially if Whitehead comes back why not take on the best? I think we'd all love a home-and-home with any of those teams.

As for Cali, I don't think anybody mentioned going farther north to Fresno State.
Arizona State, there are direct flights all the time from most of the islands to Phoenix. You have the Hurley deal, plus we can beat them.

Funny you should mention So.Carolina. I heard from a good source we will be playing them at MSG in Dec.

If Seton Hall is good as you say, they shouldn't worry about losing to a mid-major.

Big boy teams don't worry about stuff like that. What SHU doesn't have that other big-time teams do is the economic leverage to know that 12,000 fans (minimum) will show up for a November or December game, no matter if it's noon on a Saturday, 1:00 on an NFL Sunday or 8:30 on a Tuesday night to support their team and make it a profitable night even with the guarantee fee to the opposing team.

Reactions: Piratefan2009
If Seton Hall is good as you say, they shouldn't worry about losing to a mid-major.

Big boy teams don't worry about stuff like that. What SHU doesn't have that other big-time teams do is the economic leverage to know that 12,000 fans (minimum) will show up for a November or December game, no matter if it's noon on a Saturday, 1:00 on an NFL Sunday or 8:30 on a Tuesday night to support their team and make it a profitable night even with the guarantee fee to the opposing team.

Thank you for this. It's why I don't buy any fear based arguments for scheduling. Schedule HARD. Schedule as hard as you can. Bring top teams to Newark. Bring Duke to Newark and watch them get Blown The Fudge Out next season. They won't come? Go to Cameron and let's blow them out there.

Playing 7 cupcakes in the OOC doesn't "prepare" and "gel" your team. It makes you look weak. This team is supposed to be good, so schedule hard and beat good teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT