ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Arkansas

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
I have not seen them play. Maybe someone has? Maybe a bit like St. John's in terms of style, but St. John's has more dynamic guards who pop 3PTers.

I took a look at their KenPom profile and noticed the following. The rankings are split by their national standing for all games play and their conference-only mark.

*Pretty good tempo (95th)
*Deep (51st in bench minutes) and experienced (18th)
*Average height

Defense
*Seems to be a harrassing type of defense that relies on individual playmaking
*96th in Defensive Efficiency
*Seemingly good athleticism (37th in blocked shot rate, 37th in steals), but just 186th in turnover %
*Weak defensive rebounding (326th in opponent offensive rebounding %)
*Foul prone (which may correspond to the rebounding issue/positioning)
*In SEC play, they were near the bottom overall defense, particularly 2PT defense and defensive rebounding

Offense
*Seems to be a style that predominantly looks to attack the rim versus an offense that moves the ball around and takes jumpshots
*129th in 2PT%, 84th in % of points from 2PT shots
*105 in 3PT%, but just 314th in 3PA:FGA and 309th in % of points from 3
*216th in A:FGM
*26th in Offensive Efficiency
*25th in FT% and 79th in FTA:FGA
*44th in turnover %
*69th in offensive rebounding %
*In SEC play, they were near the top of the conference in overall offense and playing true to this flow by attacking the rim and shooting a good 3, but not prolific in shooting it. Makes sense. They had the best offensive turnover % in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHUPirate2008
Seems like Angel will be heavily relied upon to do his damage on the glass. SHU may be able to survive a poor shooting day, which they're prone to have, as long as Angel can dominate the offensive boards.

The attacking defense has me a little concerned. They can't play recklessly. If they can limit the turnovers, and not allow Arkansas to run the floor, they should be in good shape.

The rebounding is the most lopsided area of this game and obviously in our favor. On paper, at least. If they press and we turn it over (our Achilles' Heel) and we do make foul shots again, it will be difficult as always.

We need to play our game. Play like we have the past two weeks and I really like our chances. Have to get after it defensively and on the boards.

Reactions: SHUMA04
Sanogo will be very important. If he plays like he did against Villanova...I like our chances.

Rimas I was just about to post the same thing. Hope Ish stays healthy. With the way they run we will need to get some minutes from Anthony and Gordon too. Good to be just a little above sea level for this game!

Rimas I was just about to post the same thing. Hope Ish stays healthy. With the way they run we will need to get some minutes from Anthony and Gordon too. Good to be just a little above sea level for this game!

I would be very surprised to see Gordon.

Arkansas plays more players and some think they'll wear us down but let's remember what NCAA basketball it all about... revenue, partially generated by longer than normal commercials.
Halftime is over 5 minutes longer. TV timeouts are a minute longer than usual... Angel could get a nice 5 minute break by only having RA in for one possession before a tv timeout.

Nzei got a rude awakening against Nova. He will bounce back and play well, but we will need Ish against Arkansas.

Powell will be the key

He is truly our X-Factor this year. We generate a lot of quality looks for him and when that 3-ball is going down, we're a different team. We become too easy to guard when we do not have a consistent threat from the perimeter.

Caring reported that Ish retweaked his ankle against Nova.

He will not be healthy until next season. This is going to be Pain Management 101 for however long we last in the NCAA Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT