ADVERTISEMENT

September Recruiting

Seems more like optics than anything else. A nice player who chose our closest rival and a school that we will often battle with for recruits.
Historically, true to some extent as far as competing for the same kids. I don't think as much in recent years, especially under their prior 2 coaches who seemed to focus less on local kids and more on big ticket items from different parts of the country. It's been different with the current group. But another poster hit it on the head -- in this transfer era, this doesn't matter nearly as much anymore. You can have what seems like a great class coming in --- like we did last year -- with some doubts about how your returning crop is going to perform, and immediately supplemental that with a Richmond, Harris and Yetna (or Bryce the year before). It's a new day when it comes to recruiting and building programs.

Would I have liked to get this kid? Sure. He looks the part of a Carrington or Rhoden -- a top 100/150 kid that is local, tough, comes from a good program, etc. But if our staff does its job there will be plenty of other options and ways to balance out classes and rosters.

In short he knew he was going to SJU and he felt he was wasting his time. Guess he took the visit not to burn bridges with his coaches and the Hall.

Steve and Anthony know the gory details. Probably best if we all leave it at that.

In short he knew he was going to SJU and he felt he was wasting his time. Guess he took the visit not to burn bridges with his coaches and the Hall.

Steve and Anthony know the gory details. Probably best if we all leave it at that.
sounds embarassing esp for a player who isnt even that good. i say it should fuel the team to whip their ass next year.

Haha! Can’t leave us hanging like that! Gory details sound pretty interesting. Maybe it’s good we missed out on him??

Haha! Can’t leave us hanging like that! Gory details sound pretty interesting. Maybe it’s good we missed out on him??
I think it’s just an example of a kid being a kid. These kids change their minds all the time on this recruiting stuff. It sounds like we had a really good shot at him at some point, and may have been the leader, but he changed his mind. Kids do this all the time in the recruiting world and it happens. I don’t fault the staff for recruiting him and I don’t fault the kid for changing his mind, because we’ve had that turn out the other way for us before. My guess is he probably liked us a lot but that SJU kept on him and the kids he played with on SJU and is probably friends with were in his ear throughout. They are younger than Rhoden so probably closer to the kid.

Remember the timeframe when Pitino was on TV doing the perp walk into the Louisville offices to get fired. Willard was one of the very few to stand up and defend Pitino's character. Pitino will always be supportive of KW.

Reactions: mbraue
Remember the timeframe when Pitino was on TV doing the perp walk into the Louisville offices to get fired. Willard was one of the very few to stand up and defend Pitino's character. Pitino will always be supportive of KW.
And vice versa. Mentor/mentee it seems in the truest form. If Pitino can’t get a kid I have no doubt he’d try to help KW. And if there was kid KW thought wasn’t good enough to play here but perhaps down a level I have no doubt he might steer him to Pitino.

Wasn’t Pitino KW’s saving grace during the drunk driving incident?

Reactions: mbraue
worked out for his career. good career focused move by him.

There's a relationship there which dates back at least 35 years to when Pitino hired Ralph Willard as a Knicks assistant. Two years later Pitino brought him to Kentucky with him and that in turn helped lead to Willard getting hired at Western Kentucky.

While I wouldn't go so far to say Ralph -- and by extension Kevin -- owes his career to Pitino he helped him on to a fast track.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Per Jamie Shaw’s tweet (he works for Rivals), Essandoko is committing to the Friars this week (they’ve been on him the longest). He’s a Top 150 Center and is all about potential. Sounds like they are also getting a verbal from Jayden Pierre (Class of ‘22) later this week - rising Top 100-125 PG originally from Roselle and now at Long Island Lutheran.

We are likely to lose out on two big targets on October 1st, Oweh and Christ decision dates.

We are not perceived from outside as the top player for either at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT