ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Davis on Pitino

shu09

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2006
Good article here. A few anecdotes in here got me thinking...Pitino gets a job as a Syracuse assistant in 1976, cuts his honeymoon short to recruit Louis Orr. 25 years later, Pitino gets fired from the Celtics and two major jobs are open: Louisville and Michigan. Pitino tells Michigan he'll take the job but changes his mind later in the day at the request of his wife. Tommy Amaker gets the Michigan job and is replaced by...Louis Orr! Of course, Pitino also takes Kevin Willard from the Celtics to Louisville with him at this time.

Then you have 1989 where P.J. Carlesimo turns down Kentucky, which then hires...Rick Pitino. Amazing how you can draw these circles, which don't mean much on the surface but are still interesting to notice, throughout the history of the sport.

https://theathletic.com/112360/2017...arked-by-ambition-and-success-ends-in-infamy/

A tangled web indeed. You just wonder how all of his disciples like Donovan, Willard, etc.. will learn from his downfall.

A tangled web indeed. You just wonder how all of his disciples like Donovan, Willard, etc.. will learn from his downfall.
A young Kevin Willard, fleeced of a wad of money by a card-sharking Pitino, learned fairly quickly not to imitate the ethical style of slick Rick.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Good article here. A few anecdotes in here got me thinking...Pitino gets a job as a Syracuse assistant in 1976, cuts his honeymoon short to recruit Louis Orr. 25 years later, Pitino gets fired from the Celtics and two major jobs are open: Louisville and Michigan. Pitino tells Michigan he'll take the job but changes his mind later in the day at the request of his wife. Tommy Amaker gets the Michigan job and is replaced by...Louis Orr! Of course, Pitino also takes Kevin Willard from the Celtics to Louisville with him at this time.

Then you have 1989 where P.J. Carlesimo turns down Kentucky, which then hires...Rick Pitino. Amazing how you can draw these circles, which don't mean much on the surface but are still interesting to notice, throughout the history of the sport.

https://theathletic.com/112360/2017...arked-by-ambition-and-success-ends-in-infamy/
The six degrees of Seton Hall or Rick Pitino?

In the spirit of that movie, Mr. Destiny, from about 30 years ago.

If Pitino had accepted the job at Michigan, would Amaker have stayed on at Seton Hall for another couple of years or was he just gone?

Amaker had his foot out the door the day he was hired.

Impossible to say what would have happened now but I have no doubt when a quality opportunity presented itself he would have been gone.

Not being accusatory, just stating how it was.

With these cheaters going down and the Big East losing out on some recruits to these cheaters, especially this season, I hope these recruits now see that going with their heart instead of their wallet will pay off in more ways than one. Imagine if these soon to be ineligible kids made the right decision and came to Seton Hall? No reason we shouldn't be able to reap some benefits of doing things right.

If the big flow of money/other benefits to recruits stops, then Seton Hall will have a lot to gain. Local talent will stay close to home.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If the big flow of money/other benefits to recruits stops, then Seton Hall will have a lot to gain. Local talent will stay close to home.
I'm not sure the locals will stay in the tri-state area. The Lure of warmer weather, beautiful coeds, and a campus that is breathtaking will certainly persuade a lot of kids. And I can't blame them

There still will be schools that are not touched by this scandal that have far more to offer then SH in the way of facilities, fan support and academic reputation and they will be difficult to out recruit for the top players for examples schools like Duke, Wisconsin, Vanderbilt , UVA, and Northwestern to name just a few. Can SH benefit from this scandal , the answer is possibly . To improve the odds for this scandal to provide those tangible benefits the number of schools who had coaches or players or recruits who received cash inducements will have to indentified and charged by Federal authorities.

The scandal is not even a week old. More schools will be involved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT