ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall now has a captain and they could have not made a wiser choice

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
will_cody.jpg

WILL CODY SERVES AS HONORARY TEAM CAPTAIN

Newark, N.J. - At last night's Seton Hall-Providence men's basketball game at Prudential Center, Seton Hall had a special guest join the team as an honorary captain: 13-year-old Will Cody of Chatham, N.J., who has been battling leukemia since March 2016. Will participated in pregame warmups, was in the locker room with the team, presented the game ball to the officials, sat on the team bench during the game and was given the game ball by head coach Kevin Willard after the Pirates' 72-70 overtime victory.

Will was active in playing travel hockey, CYO basketball and tennis prior to his diagnosis. He underwent intense, 10-month chemotherapy and is currently being treated in a "maintenance phase" that lasts for three years. The treatments limit his ability to go to school for just two to three hours a day.

To access pictures and a video of Kevin Willard giving Will the game ball, use this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/30dyl7z0y10c07i/AACuUBSDqAbZEjZ9b_Y2rpo9a?dl=0

This made my night last night. As happy as I was to get a good, hard-fought win, I was proud of the team for doing this and embracing Will the way they did. He was a big part of the post-game celebration, and no doubt he really felt like part of the team. And to see this photo, you can't deny it. Heartwarming stuff.

Great job by the coaches and team for embracing this young man. And Willard's comments in the post-game presser about it were great trying to show our players how lucky they are. We won the game and a whole lot more by including Will last night. I'm sure Will had a good time too. :)

One of my proudest moments as an alum.

The way the players took the little guy under their wing made me misty.
High fives, tousled hair, pats on the butt. The game ball!

KW gets the kudos for setting the tone and influencing his players' behavior.

Today there are so many new drugs ,treatments and clinical trials for blood cancers that young Mr Cody has an excellent chance for a cure or at worst a lifetime of management.

Great day for everyone involved. Winning? Nice, but not nearly as important as this memorable moment.

One of my proudest moments as an alum.

The way the players took the little guy under their wing made me misty.
High fives, tousled hair, pats on the butt. The game ball!

KW gets the kudos for setting the tone and influencing his players' behavior.

Today there are so many new drugs ,treatments and clinical trials for blood cancers that young Mr Cody has an excellent chance for a cure or at worst a lifetime of management.

Great day for everyone involved. Winning? Nice, but not nearly as important as this memorable moment.
I hope we all remember these thoughts the next time we miss a foul shot, turn the ball over or lose a game. Thank you coach Willard and Seton Hall for again teaching us values, integrity and whats truly important.

I agree with everyone. This was a proud moment as an alum of Seton Hall and such a touching and wonderful night for Will Cody. A lasting memory for all.

That's what it's all about.

Reactions: garyshu71
This group of players just get "it". They embrace their role as role models for the kids and its great to see.

Reactions: garyshu71
ADVERTISEMENT