ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall relying on Kadary Richmond to help prove low expectations wrong

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

The last time expectations were this low for Seton Hall, it had just graduated the senior quartet of Angel Delgado, Desi Rodriguez, Ismael Sanogo and Khadeen Carrington.

It was picked to finish eighth in the Big East.

The NIT was the expectation.

That team, however, played beyond those expectations, reaching the NCAA Tournament.

Several unexpected contributors helped lift up Seton Hall, but none more so than Myles Powell.

He was the star few outside of the New Jersey program saw coming.

Which brings us to this year’s team, and Kadary Richmond.

The Pirates were picked ninth in the Big East, and Richmond wasn’t selected for any of the all-league teams.

“As a player, you should be fired up about that,” second-year coach Shaheen Holloway said at the league’s media day.

NYPICHPDPICT000007903065.jpg

Shaheen Holloway is in his second season as Seton Hall’s head coach.
Robert Sabo for NY Post

The 6-foot-6 senior guard clearly has the upside to be one of the best players in the Big East and become this team’s Powell.

If he can raise his game, maybe Seton Hall can be the surprise of the league.

Last year, Marquette was picked ninth and won the conference regular-season and postseason titles.

“I hope people count us out. Like I said, I’m not a big talker when it comes to that. I’m a big doer,” Holloway said. “My guys, they got a big chip on their shoulders. These guys know what’s at stake.”

Why Seton Hall will make the NCAA Tournament​

Richmond realizes his untapped potential, emerging as one of the premier guards in the Big East.

A healthy Dre Davis is a significant addition as a shotmaker on the wing who is a tough cover for most power forwards, and Al-Amir Dawes and St. John’s transfer Dylan Addae-Wusu combine with Richmond to form a dynamic three-guard attack.

Holloway gets more out of less after learning the Big East in his first year as a head coach in the conference last season, and has a hungry team that plays to its identity as an overlooked, doubted group of overachievers.

Why Seton Hall will miss the NCAA Tournament​

The worries over depth, the thin frontcourt and lack of high-end talent is warranted.

Seton Hall needs everything to go right, and that so rarely happens.

The Pirates become too reliant on Richmond and Dawes, and are too perimeter-oriented on the offensive end.

They will be a quality defensive team — Addae-Wusu and a healthy Davis really help on that end of the floor — but their shortcomings inside and on offense in general lead to several frustrating, narrow defeats.

Three Key Questions​

What is the plan in the paint?

Seton Hall lost its top big man last year, Tyrese Samuel, and didn’t really adequately replace him.

The plan is to use transfers Jaden Bediako (Santa Clara) and Elijah Hutchins-Everett (Austin Peay) as a two-headed tandem at center.

But there are questions about that duo in the Big East, where they will have to deal with the likes of Donovan Clingan (Connecticut), Joel Soriano (St. John’s), Ryan Kalkbrenner (Creighton), Eric Dixon (Villanova) and Oso Ighodaro (Marquette).

Can the bench produce?

Made up almost predominantly of young players who have yet to prove themselves, it is filled with question marks.

There is sophomore Jaquan Sanders, Boise State transfer Sadraque NgaNga, one of the two centers, and little else in the way of experience.

The bench produced just a single point in the exhibition victory over NJIT.

Is Davis ready to bust out?

The Louisville transfer produced career-highs in scoring (9.6), rebounds (3.3), field-goal percentage (51.7) and 3-point percentage (40.9) a season ago.

The problem: He only appeared in 23 games and logged just 18.7 minutes a game due to injury.

Now healthy, Davis is a breakout candidate given his ability to score inside and out and the comfort level he showed in Holloway’s offense last season.

X factor​

Kadary Richmond

It’s never been a question of talent with Richmond, who averaged 10.1 points, 5.2 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 2.0 steals last year.

He’s shown glimpses his entire career of his immense ability.

It’s been consistency that has held him back.

For every impressive performance, there was an impactless one.

That can’t happen this year, not if Seton Hall wants to outperform projections.

Richmond can be a top-five player in the Big East.

The potential is there.

Now he has to turn that upside into results.

Games to watch​

vs. USC (Nov. 23, in San Diego)

The first of 10 games against preseason top-25 teams will take place in the Rady Children’s Invitational.

The Trojans are loaded, led by dynamic senior scorer Boogie Ellis and blue-chip freshman guard Isaiah Collier, the second-ranked prospect in the entire country.

USC’s stacked roster also includes Bronny James, the son of LeBron James, although his status going into the season is uncertain after suffering cardiac arrest in July.

vs. Rutgers (Dec. 9)

Rutgers will have the best player on the floor in star center Cliff Omoruyi, but Seton Hall has the significantly better backcourt and the experience edge.

In a season in which both programs are projected NIT teams, a victory could serve as a springboard for the winner.

vs. St. John’s (Jan. 16)

This isn’t the St. John’s of the last eight years.

Seton Hall has owned its Big East rival over that span, beating the Johnnies 10 of 13.

Rick Pitino is coaching St. John’s now, and has overhauled the roster to the point that the league’s coaches believe it is a top-five team in the conference.

Anonymous coach’s take​

“Kadary Richmond, when he plays to his capability and he’s clicking, he’s one of the best players in the Big East. I think he’s going to put it all together now that he’s a senior. As he goes, they’ll go. Their centers just need to be solid, they need to defend, they need to rebound, they have to be physical.

“They’re going to get all of their scoring from their four perimeter players [Richmond, Dawes, Addae-Wusu and Davis]. I think they can be an NCAA Tournament team.”

Prediction​

16-15, eighth place in Big East, NIT

In a weaker Big East, maybe Seton Hall could find a way to finish in the top half of the conference and do just enough to sneak into the NCAA Tournament.

Not in this version of the league, which is arguably the best in the country one-through-seven.

There are too many question marks on this roster, particularly in the unproven frontcourt and iffy-at-best bench.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
I understand why many see Richmond as the X factor. But I do not. I know it's probably not the common view but I see him as an absolute given and instead I believe the season will hinge on the centers and the bench.

That would be my X factors.

Agreed. Powell was great but he was also incredibly selfish at times... out of necessity. I don't think Richmond has that in him. Someone else is going to have to really step up also.

Powell was a killer to proliferate his ability he was a Jordan Kobe type.
Kadary is more Lebron with out the athleticism.

Like a Lebron type I think he's going to do everything he can do to keep them in games. This team still needs that gunner that needs to step up to close out games. If the three guards take that on as a team it may lead to easy buckets and they can rise to the occasion.

Then again maybe with Sha in his ear maybe we will see some of that "Mamba mentality" come out.

I guess we will start to find out tonight ... LETS GO PIRATES!

I understand why many see Richmond as the X factor. But I do not. I know it's probably not the common view but I see him as an absolute given and instead I believe the season will hinge on the centers and the bench.

That would be my X factors.
I am not a big X factor guy. And I get you. Both you and I both love his talent and believe he will play to the best of his ability. But he hasnt done that yet for a full season. And if he doesnt, no other player's great year can carry us.

I think people are talking Kadary, Al and Dylan but Dre Davis a dog. Cant wait to see what he does this year.

I am not a big X factor guy. And I get you. Both you and I both love his talent and believe he will play to the best of his ability. But he hasn't done that yet for a full season. And if he doesn't, no other player's great year can carry us.
No doubt and that's why I posted that my opinion would not be the common one.

But after hearing Sha sing his praises all summer I saw twice what I have been waiting to see for years. I truly believe Kooks 2.0 is going to be one of the best players in the conference. And be voted 1st team All Big East.

His talent is no longer in the potential stage. It's there.

Guess we'll see in Feb and March.

I think people are talking Kadary, Al and Dylan but Dre Davis a dog. Cant wait to see what he does this year.
Brazilier has Richmond 1st team All-Met and Davis and Dawes on the 2nd team.

All-Met local first team

Sr. G Daniss Jenkins, St. John’s (15.6 PPG, 4.9 APG)

Sr. F Chris Ledlum, St. John’s (18.8 PPG, 8.5 RPG)

Sr. G Kadary Richmond, Seton Hall (10.1 PPG, 5.2 RPG)

Sr. C Joel Soriano, St. John’s (15.2 PPG, 11.9 RPG)

Sr. G Tyler Thomas, Hofstra (16.8 PPG, 3.8 RPG)

Second team

Sr. G/F Dre Davis, Seton Hall (9.6 PPG, 3.3 RPG)

Sr. G Al-Amir Dawes, Seton Hall (12.6 PPG, 1.7 APG)

Sr. G Jordan Dingle, St. John’s (23.4 PPG, 3.6 RPG)

Sr. F Osborn Shema, Iona (7.4 PPG, 4.7 RPG)

So. G Derek Simpson, Rutgers (7.1 PPG, 1.5 APG)

Reactions: chickenbox
We need to get some production from coleman and jaquan and squeeze what we can outta the bigs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT