ADVERTISEMENT

SHU centric SI issue from 1989

lloyde dobler

All World
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Recently came across this Sports Illustrated issue from early in 1989 that relates to two topics relative to SHU hoops.

One is an article on the struggles of the Portland Trailblazers in the midst of Bryant’s rookie season, which plays into the current discussion on another thread.

The other is a feature on the early success of the 89 team. It was one of the first national profiles on the team. (Further along in the issue, you can see their Top 20 for that week and how SHU other opponents were ranked in early January)

The SI Vault interface is awful. That's befitting a once iconic brand that is now a shell of itself I suppose.

Kudos to 1989 SI for getting a photo of Gerald Greene wearing uniform No. 33 though.

The SI Vault interface is awful. That's befitting a once iconic brand that is now a shell of itself I suppose.

Kudos to 1989 SI for getting a photo of Gerald Greene wearing uniform No. 33 though.

I noticed that … didn’t recall any reason for it

Oh yeah. Geene was 15 from what I remember. I thought 33 was the jacked Michael Cooper

Oh yeah. Geene was 15 from what I remember. I thought 33 was the jacked Michael Cooper

Greene was No. 15. Michael Cooper was No. 31. There was no No. 33 that season.

Andre McCloud had worn the number during his career from 1982-83 through 1985-86. Looking back, Marco Lokar wore the number during his two years at Seton Hall (1989-90 and 1990-91) and then Darrell Mims wore the jersey starting in 1991-92.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT