ADVERTISEMENT

Significant Big East media news

"While Fox Sports will remain the top partner, both NBC, which will feature most of its games on Peacock, and TNT Sports, which operates the streaming service Max, are anticipated to add a large number of games."

Interesting move in light of their NBA negotiations

My belief is this...fox sports got the original package at such a bargain, it fills jan and feb programming. They got it before some other conf deals. The people on this board see it as men's basketball only and not other live events in the conference. Fox barely promotes the product outside of last week feb/early march for msg. I always felt mulitple avenues would happen for next deal. Point blank fox was not going to give enormous pay jump

And so the question once again arises: Is the increased revenue worth the decreased (organic) and fragmented exposure? It's hard for me to say, but hopefully the league has figured it out.

I've never liked the Fox production, but I did like that every game was available, and essentially in one place. I don't have Peacock or Max and am not inclined to subscribe to another service.

The whole upside to our Fox deal is that we weren't streaming games. I don't know how many of you have tried the peacock app, but it sucks. It's a very glitchy program.

I hope this scattershot approach with our games results in a significant increase in revenue.

The whole upside to our Fox deal is that we weren't streaming games. I don't know how many of you have tried the peacock app, but it sucks. It's a very glitchy program.

I hope this scattershot approach with our games results in a significant increase in revenue.
You sound like a man whose school spent time in the American, as did one of mine (Temple, who is still there). Streaming sports is such a lousy experience because you can't flip around channel to other games. Oh, and the whole paying more part for the same thing isn't great, either.

Heard this last week but i think future forBig East could be with TNT. They just gave 65 million for tennis tournament each year out of Paris. The Tennis Channel was paying $12 million a year along with NBC. BE could be a bargain for them without NBA or a scaled back NBA at the very best.

Yeah, if TNT loses the NBA as looks like they will, they will have slots to fill on linear TV to fill. Right now I believe most sports on Max are currently simulcasts of games on their cable TV channels TBS and TNT. I would assume the NBC portion will mostly (if not all) be streaming on Peacock.

As others have said, one reason I do not like watching sports on streaming channels is it makes it much harder to flip around to other games, which is something i often do.

And so the question once again arises: Is the increased revenue worth the decreased (organic) and fragmented exposure? It's hard for me to say, but hopefully the league has figured it out.

I've never liked the Fox production, but I did like that every game was available, and essentially in one place. I don't have Peacock or Max and am not inclined to subscribe to another service.

The only thing that matters now that the school can share revenue with players is revenue from TV contracts. I'll reserve judgment about this deal until the numbers come out, but it's a good sign that the Big East was able to bring two new partners on board who have recently spent big money on college content to put on their streaming services.

Both Peacock and MAX ran Black Friday deals last year. Peacock was available for $1.99 a month or $19.99 a year. MAX was $2.99 a month for six months. Right now you can get the $20 a year Peacock deal as a new subscriber until June 30th.

The Big10 did this with peacock and I am just hoping it is no more than 2-3 games at most. And because the Big10 did that last year, my cable company decided to pay peacock and give it to us for free for 1 year.
We don't want prices to go up , we don't want to pay for more services , and we CERTAINLY don't want to pay for the ACC network which we all are right now. But it is the way of the world right now.

Fox sports app had every fox game available

Does this mean the end of CBS Sports Network? I always thought its production was better than FOX.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
The Big10 did this with peacock and I am just hoping it is no more than 2-3 games at most. And because the Big10 did that last year, my cable company decided to pay peacock and give it to us for free for 1 year.
We don't want prices to go up , we don't want to pay for more services , and we CERTAINLY don't want to pay for the ACC network which we all are right now. But it is the way of the world right now.
Acc network is in the disney bundle so when disney and your provider brokered how much each subscriber would pay for carriage fee you got it

Reactions: statenman
The only thing that matters now that the school can share revenue with players is revenue from TV contracts. I'll reserve judgment about this deal until the numbers come out, but it's a good sign that the Big East was able to bring two new partners on board who have recently spent big money on college content to put on their streaming services.

Both Peacock and MAX ran Black Friday deals last year. Peacock was available for $1.99 a month or $19.99 a year. MAX was $2.99 a month for six months. Right now you can get the $20 a year Peacock deal as a new subscriber until June 30th.
Because they want business for the Olympics

How much they get in revenue is the only thing that matters. The Big East is getting crushed financially in myriad ways, they need a significant raise in TV rights.
And fox was not going to be a solo solution

Fox sports app had every fox game available

Yes, but you couldn’t pay for a standalone subscription like you could for peacock or MAX. You had to subscribe to cable or another streaming service and use your credentials to login. The cheapest streaming service that has FS1 now is Sling at $45 a month for the blue package, and other streaming services like Hulu and YouTube tv are now at about $75 a month.

Regarding Peacock, if you are an Xfinity cable customer and a member of Xfinity Rewards, the Peacock subscription fee is waived.

I'm not sure but they may offer a discount if you are an Xfinity customer but not a rewards member.

OH come on with everything on streaming services!

Wasn't the big draw saying that the games would be on national television. Now you have to have cable, Peacock and MAX to watch all the Big East games?
That was over a decade ago.
Lots of changes since then.

Cord cutting has consequences.

OH come on with everything on streaming services!

Wasn't the big draw saying that the games would be on national television. Now you have to have cable, Peacock and MAX to watch all the Big East games?

This fall Disney, Warner Bros Discovery, and Fox are launching a sports-only streaming service which will include among others ABC, ESPN, FOX, FS1, TBS, and TNT. So combine that with peacock and you are covered without a cable subscription

Reactions: CL82 and JRSlim2284
The article has been updated. It previously said that the deal would take effect this year. Now it says the deal would begin in 2025-26.

How much they get in revenue is the only thing that matters. The Big East is getting crushed financially in myriad ways, they need a significant raise in TV rights.
Totally agree. We can complain and nitpick but without yet seeing the numbers this seems to be a positive development getting additional partners involved. Certainly should have expected there would be streaming components in the new media package.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
it was such a massive win having every shu game available on TV no matter where you were in the country. and the coverage was as awesome for SHU as you're going to get.

on the flip side, while you can stream from anywhere going to peacock is a massive L. no exposure and being isolated from the rest of tv is a real issue.

Reactions: CL82
Yeah, if TNT loses the NBA as looks like they will, they will have slots to fill on linear TV to fill. Right now I believe most sports on Max are currently simulcasts of games on their cable TV channels TBS and TNT. I would assume the NBC portion will mostly (if not all) be streaming on Peacock.

As others have said, one reason I do not like watching sports on streaming channels is it makes it much harder to flip around to other games, which is something i often do.
Streaming is not the answer for fans, actually results in paying more for content (having to buy many sites) and of course results in the overall loss of content.

But then again cable sucks…lol

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss…..

Reactions: PF58
Does this mean the end of CBS Sports Network? I always thought its production was better than FOX.
Yes, for the time being.

But with Paramount back in play and WBD stalking, the Big East may very well land back on CBS (and CBSN) before this deal ends anyway.

Last edited:

Hopefully (and presumably) Comcast will be incented (i.e., required by Silver) to improve the Peacock experience/performance once the pending NBA deal gets them into bed for years.

Would've loved if they had it this season. Olympic publicity would've been ideal. But if/when the NBA comes next year, that's gonna be a fun time for the conference (and the Big Ten while we're at it since they're also contracted with the network) for some basketball heavy days. A Pirates/Knicks double header is in play

On CBS/CBS Sports Net - they seem to be negotiating for their own set of Big East inventory

clearly with this expansion will happen.. the Big East will have to agree to provide more inventory.

I can't wait for the "it says the game is on Peacock, I turned on NBC and it wasn't there. What do I do?"
Evolution is hard! But it’s such an improvement over the traditional networking over-air cable dynamic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT