ADVERTISEMENT

Sixers my gosh

76ers suffer epic collapse in stunning Game 5 loss to Hawks​

By Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA — Trae Young ran off the court clapping and yapping toward the few Hawks fans that braved the Philly crowd and stuck around and were rewarded with a comeback victory for the ages.

“I was just showing love to the ATL fans that showed up,” Young said, “and we’re going to need them to show up Friday for us.”

Oh yes, there will be a Game 6 in the Eastern Conference semifinals, with the upstart Hawks — not top-seeded Joel Embiid and the Sixers — playing for a spot in the next round.

“If you don’t believe, you got to believe now,” Hawks coach Nate McMillan said.

How could they not? Atlanta fans can roll off a lengthy list of infamous collapses in its collective sports history.

Here was a comeback to remember.

Young was fouled on a 3-pointer and hit all three free throws with 1:26 left to cap a 26-point rally and send Atlanta on its way to a 109-106 victory Wednesday night in Game 5.

The Hawks won in Philadelphia for the second time in the series and can advance to the conference final for the first time since 2015 with a victory Friday night in Atlanta.

“We knew what we had to do and we had to do it in a hurry. No quit,” McMillian said.

Young scored 39 points and added to a postseason where he has become a breakout star.

“We keep fighting no matter what the score is. I’m proud of this team,” Young said. “We have confidence in each other.”

Embiid scored 17 points in an 8-for-8 first quarter and seemingly had the Sixers on their way toward a romp with a 26-point lead in the first half. They still led 87-69 at the end of the third before they collapsed.

Consider:

— Embiid scored 39 points and Seth Curry had 36 and they were the only two Sixers to score a field goal in the second half.

— The Hawks outscored them 40-19 in the fourth on 16 of 22 shooting.

— The Sixers still had a 97.5% chance of winning Game 5 with 4:23 remaining.

— Had 10 of 15 turnovers in the second half.

“We got too comfortable,” guard Ben Simmons said. “We didn’t play the way we should be playing.”

Lou Williams, Danilo Gallinari and Young opened the fourth on a huge run against the Sixers’ second unit and kept attacking once 76ers coach Doc Rivers was forced to put the starters in and save the lead.

Gallinari hit a 3 that made it 87-76 and Embiid sprang from his cool down seat behind the basket and ran to the scorer’s table to check back in the game. He instantly scored and pushed the lead back to 13.

Didn’t matter.

The big shots kept coming for the Hawks — Williams buried a 3 that made it an 11-point game — and Young kept hitting his floaters and his fouls shots.

Williams and Young each scored 13 points in the fourth.

“It’ll be one of those things where I’ll look back when he’s a Hall of Famer, he’s an established superstar in this league and I can say I was part of that process and I worked with this gentleman,” Williams said.

Simmons, along with Embiid the cornerstone for the Sixers, missed free throw after free throw much as he has for most of the postseason that sped up Atlanta’s comeback.

Young’s floater brought them within two and then he leaned into a 3-pointer and was fouled by Matisse Thybulle. Young, taunted all series by Sixers fans, calmly stepped to the line and buried all three shots. And so it was, 105-104 Hawks.

The Hawks led by 26 points in a Game 1 victory and won Game 4 at home Monday.

Gallinari scored 16 points, Williams had 15 points and John Collins had 19 points and 11 rebounds.

“We found a hot hand in Lou and found a rotation that works and stayed with it,” McMillan said. “They showed their true character.”

Simmons was 4 for 14 from the free throw line and even Embiid missed two big ones down the stretch. Simmons missed two with the Sixers up 104-96 and the Hawks came right down and scored. He is 22 for 66 from the line in the playoffs (33%).

“When Ben makes them, we get to leave him in,” Rivers said. “When he doesn’t, we can’t. That’s just the way it is.”

Simmons said his free throw woes are “mental.”

Embiid is basically playing on one good leg as he plays through torn cartilage in his right knee. The injury got the best of him in Game 4. He couldn’t get any lift in his shots — notable in a blown layup late that should have won the game — and his 0-fer in the second half left Philly wondering how hard he could go in Game 5.

He went hard — but it wasn’t enough. And the Sixers will need to force Game 7 if they want to play at home again.

“We’ll be back here for game 7,” Rivers said. “I believe that.”

I don't watch the NBA any more, but it looks like the Sixers had a collapse similar to some of our recent epic meltdowns.

Philly fans are funny. Just watching some of the fan interviews before and after the game define the Philly fan....They just take the extremes to a new level.

Doc Rivers part of another collapse. NY Shore posted about him after the last clippers collapse. Man.

Doc Rivers part of another collapse. NY Shore posted about him after the last clippers collapse. Man.
Yup, you're seeing enough correlation now to hold him largely responsible.

Of course, it's also good when your No. 1 overall pick, a guard making a max contract, can shoot even a little bit.

Reactions: TomD82
I watched and it was even worse than some of ours. Just horrendous.

Yeah it was brutal to watch. Just didn't know how to play with a lead. Tried to milk the clock, didn't run an offense and Hawks were on fire. Game ended on a 15-2 run and you knew it was coming just watching their body language.

All karma from throwing batteries at Santa. Sports gods let one slip a few years back with the Eagles but it was all part of the plan.

• Haha
Reactions: shupat08
I watched the first half, then tuned in late 4th when I caught wind it was getting close. Unreal.

A PG who can't shoot is not a max player. He's the definition of a "very good" player.
I’m with you there. Look, he’s unique in a league of unique standout athletes. How many guys can effectively guard the different types of players he can? You count on one hand, if that. And his size, passing, ball handing and rebounding ability is all a plus. I think that with the defensive prowess still makes him a very good player with the potential for more, but unless you are Giannis it is hard to be a great player without having any ability to shoot.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
All karma from throwing batteries at Santa. Sports gods let one slip a few years back with the Eagles but it was all part of the plan.
forget_it_he_s_rolling-DMID1-5hiej78ui-250x250.gif

They threw batteries at JD Drew and booed Santa. They’ve had their moments, the Philly faithful.

I’m not one to throw stones (or batteries) here. Allegedly, a much younger me was so pissed off the Knicks beat the Celtics in Game 5 (1st round only 5 games then) of the 90 playoffs…I removed my gum with the thought of firing it in Charles Oakley’s direction. Then I heard a voice say, “If you throw it, you’re going after it.” That voice was my father. Considering we were in the first row of the second deck at the old Boston Garden and he definitely would have chucked me over, my thought changed quickly. Allegedly…

Reactions: Halldan1
My brother, devoted Eagles fan like our Dad, brought our ten ten year old nephew to and Eagles Dallas game. Our nephew was a huge Dallas fan, and when my bro picks him up, he is wearing his Dallas gear. My brother tells his dad not a good idea. The reply, he's a little boy, no one will bother him (spoken by his Dad, our brother who was not a sports fan...). They get to their seat, and the local fans get all over him. F bombing our nephew and my bro. My brother says come on guys, hes just a kid, and they get all over my bro for the rest of the game.

After the Phillies beat the Dodgers in an early 80s division series, I was with a Dodger fan friend, looking for a bar to wash away my Dodger sadness. Wearing an LA cap...a car says hey Dodger fan, I walk over, extend my hand, say you kicked our ass, good luck in the WS. One of them grabs by hand, pulls me into the car, another grabs my head and they start discussing how to rearrrange my face. My friend is yanking on my feet trying to free me. A cop comes, they let me go. The cop says we are idiots for wearing Dodger caps in Phila.

Wore LA stuff to Shea and Yankee Stadium tons of times, maybe get a comment, but nothing more...

My brother, devoted Eagles fan like our Dad, brought our ten ten year old nephew to and Eagles Dallas game. Our nephew was a huge Dallas fan, and when my bro picks him up, he is wearing his Dallas gear. My brother tells his dad not a good idea. The reply, he's a little boy, no one will bother him (spoken by his Dad, our brother who was not a sports fan...). They get to their seat, and the local fans get all over him. F bombing our nephew and my bro. My brother says come on guys, hes just a kid, and they get all over my bro for the rest of the game.

After the Phillies beat the Dodgers in an early 80s division series, I was with a Dodger fan friend, looking for a bar to wash away my Dodger sadness. Wearing an LA cap...a car says hey Dodger fan, I walk over, extend my hand, say you kicked our ass, good luck in the WS. One of them grabs by hand, pulls me into the car, another grabs my head and they start discussing how to rearrrange my face. My friend is yanking on my feet trying to free me. A cop comes, they let me go. The cop says we are idiots for wearing Dodger caps in Phila.

Wore LA stuff to Shea and Yankee Stadium tons of times, maybe get a comment, but nothing more...
lol...have two to share. Years ago, I had a customer/friend who was a Flyers fan and season ticketholder. Went to a game with him after meeting in his office...as we walk up the steps to his seats, he yells out that I'm a Devil's fan...several fans threw food at me! Really???

Went to the NFC Championship game in 2003 at the Vet against Tampa Bay (last FB game played at the Vet). Even before the game, walking in there were two guys jousting with pieces of police baracades. As far as the game, fans were not happy as the Bucs let pretty much wire to wire and had some big plays. At halftime, there were two R&B acts (I don't remember exactly who, but both were pretty famous....I think Rhionna or Alicia Keys was one), but they were boo'd the entire time...really brutal and pathetic.

There is nothing good about the city of Philadelphia. Dirty, smelly and the worst people.

A PG who can't shoot is not a max player. He's the definition of a "very good" player.
I have the same strong beliefs regarding college PG's. Shooting is a skill that isn't readily acquired by many players. Some --like John Morton-- did learn to be better shooters. But many do not. Simmons is an example. Give me a PG who can shoot any day over one who can't.

lol...have two to share. Years ago, I had a customer/friend who was a Flyers fan and season ticketholder. Went to a game with him after meeting in his office...as we walk up the steps to his seats, he yells out that I'm a Devil's fan...several fans threw food at me! Really???

Went to the NFC Championship game in 2003 at the Vet against Tampa Bay (last FB game played at the Vet). Even before the game, walking in there were two guys jousting with pieces of police baracades. As far as the game, fans were not happy as the Bucs let pretty much wire to wire and had some big plays. At halftime, there were two R&B acts (I don't remember exactly who, but both were pretty famous....I think Rhionna or Alicia Keys was one), but they were boo'd the entire time...really brutal and pathetic.
if it stops opposing fans from coming then good. meanwhile the rock lets opposing fans pour in as the old people do everything to maintian their quaint experience.

obviously there is a medium. and btw, those things happen in ever city stadium and philly isnt even the worse. go out west for the action.

Having just moved down here, I realized while packing clothes that my Scott Steven’s jersey is now the most dangerous piece of clothing I own. Game 7 should be fun today. I’ve told friends down here that as a Jets fan I can tolerate the Eagles, and I’m happy to adopt the Sixers since my nba interest is lukewarm to begin with, the Nets and their hipster front runner status after leaving NJ no longer appeal to me, and the Knicks are still run by an incompetent man child despite this season’s surprise success. Heck, I’ll even throw in the Union as I’m trying to get into soccer more, but the Flyers and Phillies are non negotiable and will always be scum to me.

if it stops opposing fans from coming then good. meanwhile the rock lets opposing fans pour in as the old people do everything to maintian their quaint experience.

obviously there is a medium. and btw, those things happen in ever city stadium and philly isnt even the worse. go out west for the action.
Where out west? Been to games in Colorado, Texas, Arizona, etc. and some of the nicest and cordial fans. St. Louis has the best fans IMO.

There are exceptions as to every fan base and opposing stadium when you wear the other team’s gear. Sometimes it is bad luck. But the story you told is one I have heard repeated many times and experienced myself.

My Uncle is a huge Cowboys fan. He grew up in the Bronx but began rooting for the Boys at a young age to rebel against my Dad, his older brother and a huge Giants fan. My Uncle has lived all over the country because of his career and done well financially, so he has always had the means to see the Boys wherever he wants and been to many opposing stadiums multiple times. The only place he’s ever had what he deems a problem is Philadelphia.

Back in 09 folks may recall the Yanks/Phils WS overlapped in Philly on the same weekend as a Giants at Eagles game on a Sunday. A large group of guys I grew up with got together and surprised our friend - who was then 30 and recovering from cancer (now fully recovered) - with a trip to the WS game on Sat night and the Giants/Eagles on Sunday. I forget if it was game 3 or 4, but it was the one the Yanks won in which Arod hit the HR off the camera in RF that went to video review.

Anyway we had a group 10 deep plus my father. We went to the WS game wearing limited Yanks gear, sat in good seats, weren’t obnoxious, and it was fine. We were surrounded by a mix of Phils and Yanks fans, talked to everyone the whole game, no issue.

Next day we were in the upper deck for Giants/Eagles. Different story. We purposefully wore no Giants gear. So we avoided scrutiny initially. Also it was a game where the Eagles trounced the Giants, early, so nothing to really cheer for. Ultimately it didn’t matter. After the trash got through harassing those in Giants gear, a few became aware that (a) we weren’t wearing Eagles gear and (b) a few of us had Yanks hats on from the prior night. So the comments started. A few of my friends who went are monsters. They played college football. These aren’t guys anyone says a cross word to. Didn’t stop the trash. My Dad who has known all these kids since birth was able to control things for a while. Then they started on my friend who had just recovered from cancer. It was pretty obvious he had just been through chemo. He had no hair, including eyebrows and had that skin shade folks get, with the circles around the eyes and the like. The second there was a comment from some trash bags about that, my Dad made us all leave because he knew there was going to be an issue.

We’ve been to Giant games all over the country. That’s the one stadium we will never go back to.

Reactions: TomD82
Where out west? Been to games in Colorado, Texas, Arizona, etc. and some of the nicest and cordial fans. St. Louis has the best fans IMO.
Always exceptions. But I’ve never experienced anything like the Eagles fans. Ever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT