ADVERTISEMENT

Small Business Problem

August to Sept was a minus 10 point swing. Sept to October was plus 7. Hard to take much away from that.
Not that it should be ignored, but I don't like survey data much other than gauging sentiment.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
August to Sept was a minus 10 point swing. Sept to October was plus 7. Hard to take much away from that.
Not that it should be ignored, but I don't like survey data much other than gauging sentiment.
The chart they show is over the last 10 months...longer term. Just one data point, but those are pretty big swings over that time period.

They are big swings but then I would also expect if that data was indicative of something in the market that it would have shown itself by now in employment data, loan delinquencies or something. Really just not the case thus far.

I'm just not sure this data is really meaningful outside of sentiment.

They are big swings but then I would also expect if that data was indicative of something in the market that it would have shown itself by now in employment data, loan delinquencies or something. Really just not the case thus far.

Understand what you’re saying but it’s an alarming trend in those states. Strikes me as a leading indicator potentially for unemployment and business closures. If your revenue isn’t meeting expenses the first thing you do is slow rent payments.

Inflation and the after effects of the pandemic are hurting small businesses. Many did not survive the pandemic (so many good restaurants for instance are gone). The rents have gone through the roof across America and at the same time these small businesses are competing for personnel and supplies etc. having to pay a lot more or they don't have inventory to sell. That cuts their margins. Small businesses have fewer assets and safety nets compared to mid-sized and large corporates, so they go first in inflationary times. Not a surprising trend to me.

Reactions: shu09 and HALL85
I’m down in Miami for a long weekend and things seemed to be booming for small businesses. I wonder if places where common sense was exercised during the pandemic are helping the statistical trend from completely falling off a cliff. I think we are also living through a rapidly changing world after the pandemic and will see lots of newer small business models and trends. Business right now is moving toward higher valued products and actual customer experiences in my opinion.

Reactions: SHUSA
I’m down in Miami for a long weekend and things seemed to be booming for small businesses. I wonder if places where common sense was exercised during the pandemic are helping the statistical trend from completely falling off a cliff. I think we are also living through a rapidly changing world after the pandemic and will see lots of newer small business models and trends. Business right now is moving toward higher valued products and actual customer experiences in my opinion.

Florida actually had one of the biggest drop offs of any state in the survey this month. As mentioned above though, something seemed off in their results to me.

I did a little digging into alignable, the firm that did the survey and I’m more convinced it just isn’t reliable data.

Last edited:
I agree that places, where common sense was exercised during the pandemic are helping the statistical trend from completely falling off a cliff. It's also important to remember that the world is rapidly changing post-pandemic. This means that businesses need to stay ahead of the curve and capitalize on emerging trends. As you mentioned, this includes focusing on higher-valued products and providing unique customer experiences. If you're looking for resources to help you succeed in the post-pandemic world, I'd recommend checking out enterprise consulting solutions. They offered me a long-term plan for how to develop my digital marketing agency.

Last edited:
agree. i think consumer preference is moving back to quality, boutique, handmade, usa made, in person shopping.

It's definitely concerning to see that small business delinquency rates are on the rise, especially since small businesses are so important. I did some research, and it looks like the states with the highest delinquency rates are Texas, Florida, and California. I hope that the government takes note and takes steps to support small business owners. But also, I consider the role of high-quality business plans in developing of any business to be very high. Check out https://www.ogscapital.com/author/jakub-babkins/ for guidance and help from an expert in developing strategic business plans and growing small and middle businesses. Together, we can work to support small businesses and get the economy back on track.

Last edited:
Small businesses face a variety of challenges that can make it difficult to survive and thrive. Limited financial resources, lack of brand recognition, and limited access to funding are common hurdles. Additionally, small business owners often find themselves stretched thin, balancing multiple roles within the company. Regulatory compliance, competition, and technological advancements also pose challenges. To succeed, small businesses need to develop a clear strategy, stay adaptable, and be willing to take calculated risks. They may also benefit from selling franchise. You can read more at https://wolfoffranchises.com/franchise-disclosure-document-fdd/.

Last edited:

It sounds like you're questioning the significance of the data, especially to broader economic indicators like employment and loan delinquencies. While the data may provide insight into sentiment, its impact on the overall market and economy may not be as substantial as initially thought.

And about your small business problem, it can be a real head-scratcher sometimes, right? I've had my fair share of ups and downs with my business, Cat Toys, so I get where you're coming from.

First off, don't be too hard on yourself. Running a small business is no easy feat, and it's okay to hit a bump in the road now and then. It's all part of the learning process. One thing that's helped me in tough times is reaching out for help. Whether it's talking to other small business owners, joining a support group, or even just venting to a friend, getting some outside perspective can work wonders. It might also be worth looking into new marketing strategies or ways to diversify your offerings. Sometimes a fresh approach can help breathe new life into your business.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT