ADVERTISEMENT

Some Catholic Bishops Say Pro Abortion Catholic Pols Should Be Denied Communion

ed odowd

All American
Gold Member
Apr 24, 2013
A few Bishops have recently said Biden and Pelosi should be denied Communion because of their aggressive pushing of pro abortion policies.It seems most Bishops lack the stones to take this position and are more enamored with liberal positions on open borders, wealth distribution etc.Cardinal Tobin ,for example, said in 2020 he could support Biden in good conscience ,but could not support Trump.He overlooks Biden pushing pro abortion policies ,officiating at gay weddings,pro transgender policies etc.Liberal Bishops have concluded in all too many cases that their personal beliefs have more weight than the church’s supposedly most serious issue of abortion.You have to belief strongly in the dogma and ignore issues like the sex scandal, comments from the Pope on the evils of capitalism a subject which he has a third grade understanding of etc.I just hope the Bishops don’t direct Catholic schools to teach critical race theory ,that would be the last straw for many.

The part that I felt was very ironic was the media and his own administration hyped up the fact that he was a "devout" catholic. You can believe whatever you want but don't label yourself as "devout" when you go against the churches teachings.

The part that I felt was very ironic was the media and his own administration hyped up the fact that he was a "devout" catholic. You can believe whatever you want but don't label yourself as "devout" when you go against the churches teachings.

Which teaching is he "going against"?

If people think communion should not be given to those who do live a by the book "devout" life... Then there will be no one left to receive communion.

Reactions: Section112
I am no fan of Biden or a lot of his policies, but who has the right to judge if he is “devout” or not?

Reactions: Section112
Aren’t those Bishops going out of their way and judging? Isn’t there a commandment that says Thou Shalt Not Judge? They sound like the elders that touted their own identity as very religious people and didn’t see Jesus right in front of them. I can’t stand Biden or Pelosi but the Bishops job is to preach and support the religion and help people and not be the deniers of religion. Maybe they have to work harder to sell their message but threatening to deny communion is threatening the body of Christ to possibly the people that need it the most.

If people think communion should not be given to those who do live a by the book "devout" life... Then there will be no one left to receive communion.

He is pro-abortion. You know this. I don't think anyone who wants to receive Communion should be denied it, but if a bishop feels as though a politician is using his status as a practicing Catholic to appeal to the masses, and then running contrary to the teachings, it's well within his scope to do that.

I think the consensus has been the President should be held to a higher standard. Maybe that doesn't apply to this president.

He is pro-abortion. You know this. I don't think anyone who wants to receive Communion should be denied it, but if a bishop feels as though a politician is using his status as a practicing Catholic to appeal to the masses, and then running contrary to the teachings, it's well within his scope to do that.

*pro-choice. Yes, there is a difference and to my knowledge, Joe is not responsible for any abortions.

I think the consensus has been the President should be held to a higher standard. Maybe that doesn't apply to this president.

Of course he should. He should be held to the highest standard to the oath he takes.

Look, if you want the church to establish a precedent that no politicians or presidents can receive communion if they believe in policies which are against the teachings of the church... that's fine as long as it is consistently applied which means that no politician would ever be eligible.

Of course he should. He should be held to the highest standard to the oath he takes.

Look, if you want the church to establish a precedent that no politicians or presidents can receive communion if they believe in policies which are against the teachings of the church... that's fine as long as it is consistently applied which means that no politician would ever be eligible.
I'm just talking president. I've read for years Trump should be held to a higher standard than Maxine, which is fair. I'm just following the same logic. Based on that other politicians should be ok, it's the president that should have his or her own standard.

I'm just talking president. I've read for years Trump should be held to a higher standard than Maxine, which is fair. I'm just following the same logic. Based on that other politicians should be ok, it's the president that should have his or her own standard.

If that's the line, then so be it. No Catholic president would be eligible for communion again.

Should I bother scrolling to see the excuses in response to this post? Remember when it was Trump who brought all those threats of danger to our country from foreign nations and other bad actors lol?

Hallsome what does threats from foreign nations have to do with critizing a President who constantly boasts about being a great catholic,he carries his rosary beads in his pocket etc. and then pushes abortion, champions gay marriage and has even officiates at gay weddings.Trump is not a catholic ,but he supported catholic positions in these areas.That is all we are discussing not the politics in other areas.

Reactions: SHUMA04
Hallsome what does threats from foreign nations have to do with critizing a President who constantly boasts about being a great catholic,he carries his rosary beads in his pocket etc. and then pushes abortion, champions gay marriage and has even officiates at gay weddings.Trump is not a catholic ,but he supported catholic positions in these areas.That is all we are discussing not the politics in other areas.
In all fairness Trump was looking to fight anything and everything the left was pushing. I'm not so sure he supported any position he actually fought for. If it was against the left, he was all in especially on topics that republicans have been afraid to fight for years. That's why Trump's followers are so passionate. He was the only guy willing to fight certain battles. Every other politician backed down. If some other politician could take that method, fight the good fight, and not be a troll at times, that person would have a real future.

Aren’t those Bishops going out of their way and judging? Isn’t there a commandment that says Thou Shalt Not Judge? They sound like the elders that touted their own identity as very religious people and didn’t see Jesus right in front of them. I can’t stand Biden or Pelosi but the Bishops job is to preach and support the religion and help people and not be the deniers of religion. Maybe they have to work harder to sell their message but threatening to deny communion is threatening the body of Christ to possibly the people that need it the most.

Actually Catholic bishops, as the direct successors of the first 12 Apostles (notably that includes Judas), have been specifically tasked by Christ to judge:

"Whose sins you shall forgive are forgiven them; whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." (John 20:23).

Historically, "excommunication" is a judgement equivalent to eternal damnation and the bishops have this task from Christ directly (whatever you bind on earth is bound in Heaven; whatever you loose on earth, is loosened in Heaven). This has historically been a highly effective tool in saving powerful men's souls. Both Napoleon Bonaparte and Victor Emmanuel come to mind. Therefore, an excommunication is to be seen as greatly charitable to our President.

The "not judging" teaching applies to us mere lay people not judging the states of other men's souls. Specifically, it means not judging objectively sinful activity as "mortal" (ie resulting in eternal damnation). Notably, it doesn't exclude judging behaviors and ideologies (such as promoting abortion etc) which the Church has already judged as objectively sinful.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT